The Student Room Group

Not sure about Engineering course...Help ASAP need to decide this week!!!

I'm a late applicant which is why I still have my offers but no decision on my part as of yet. However I have to sort it out pretty soon.

I have an offer from a uni I would be happy at however the course is for Electronic Engineering.

I wanted to do EEE as I think I would enjoy working on higher voltage projects. With a little further research last month I was told that even with Electronic Eng. I can still work in renewable energy which I what I aim to do but feel that EEE sets me up for this in a much better way.

Am I right to think this? Or should I just take the Electronic Eng. course which I would still be relatively happy to do (though not as happy as EEE).

One reason why I am happy enough to take the Electronic Eng. is because I was thinking of doing just the BEng at this university and then going on to do a MSc in Electrical Engineering and Renewable energy elsewhere. Would this be a better option for me instead of doing the MEng?

I've been thinking of deferring a year just to be sure this is what I want, but I am already 21 so not sure about another year out. Any advice much appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
The best option is to do a 4 year course with a year in industry. The work experience is more important than anything else, even if you subsequently choose to go and work for a different company, like one that builds windmills or whatever.
Reply 2
Original post by DynamicSyngery
The best option is to do a 4 year course with a year in industry. The work experience is more important than anything else, even if you subsequently choose to go and work for a different company, like one that builds windmills or whatever.

4year course as in BEng 3yrs + 1yr Placement?

Or

MEng 4yrs + 1yr Placement?
Reply 3
MEng 4yrs + Placement doesn't make sense as with MEng you will be working in the industry anyway. He propably means 4 years MEng but in those 4 years you can do year in the industry (tuition fees are lower then and you're making some cash)
Reply 4
Original post by Dreamester
MEng 4yrs + Placement doesn't make sense as with MEng you will be working in the industry anyway. He propably means 4 years MEng but in those 4 years you can do year in the industry (tuition fees are lower then and you're making some cash)

So the total would be 5years of uni/placement before I complete my degree?

But as I said, if I want to work in renewable energy (something I can do with a electronic engineering degree I know) would it really matter if I did 3years and got my BEng, worked for a year then went to do a postgrad MSc in Electric Engineering and R.Energy?
Original post by bestofyou

But as I said, if I want to work in renewable energy (something I can do with a electronic engineering degree I know) would it really matter if I did 3years and got my BEng, worked for a year then went to do a postgrad MSc in Electric Engineering and R.Energy?

The extra degrees aren't really that useful. If you can get a job with the company you want they will train you themselves, so that's the important thing. The MScs mainly are worth doing if you're switching discipline or something like that, and sometimes companies will send their employees to do them.
Reply 6
Original post by bestofyou

Nope, it would be 4 years. It would differ from normal course only in 3rd year I think where you will be working in the industry on real world problems. Then you'll come back to university to your last year. It's usefull, cause after such course you're leaving university with experience (1 year at least, probably more as you could do sth engineering related in holidays) Also the year in the industry is perfect for seeking graduate jobs, as companies are likely to hire people they know.
Reply 7
Original post by Dreamester
Nope, it would be 4 years. It would differ from normal course only in 3rd year I think where you will be working in the industry on real world problems. Then you'll come back to university to your last year. It's usefull, cause after such course you're leaving university with experience (1 year at least, probably more as you could do sth engineering related in holidays) Also the year in the industry is perfect for seeking graduate jobs, as companies are likely to hire people they know.

ok whats my best option?

BEng with placement.

BEng with MSc

MEng
MEng IMO, it would make chartership easier. However, I have no idea how a BEng with an MSc would be viewed...
Reply 9
BEng with placement is equal to MEng, lol.

BEng with placement is just BEng and then working somewhere in the industry.

When you're doing 4 years MEng there is an option to go to the industry in your 3rd year and then come back, complete your studies and be happy. It makes you MEng but with 1year real world experience
Dreamester, I'm afraid you're mistaken.

There is absolutely no requirement for a placement in industry to get an MEng. How do I know? I have one, and did not do a year in industry.

With regards to EE or EEE, It is down to you. I would argue that EEE is better to get into renewables, as the Electrical side is more relevant. That said, I work for a High-Voltage power systems company and did EE. I work alongside physics/ mechanical engineering, civil engineering and nuclear graduates, all working on the same sorts of things - and our degree discipline isn't particularly relevant.

The point of engineering is that it is highly transferable. Indeed, it is extremely likely that all engineering university courses will have the same 1st and 2nd year layout, with just a few optional modules which are stream-specific (electronics/electrical/aerospace/civil etc.)

With regards to which one you should do - BEng/MEng/MSc, that is down to you. Enrolling on an MEng course and then transferring to a BEng is easier than the other way around. BEng + MSc, whilst not equivalent academically to an undergraduate MEng, is no different when you're applying for a job - they both meet the masters level academic requirement required for professional engineering chartership.

A number of high profile engineering firms will generally only take on Masters students (MEng or MSc) because of this. This is not always the case, and with the much higher fees, it is entirely possible that they may start taking BEng graduates. You often have the opportunity at a later date to do an industry funded (free for you) MSc with most large companies. I myself am doing a 2nd MSc to compliment my MEng.

Work placements are a very good idea, either throughout the summer, or as a year in industry. If your chosen university doesn't offer a sandwich year, you can always apply for summer placements, and that is what I did. It's a great way to trial real engineering, and if you're lucky you can get a job offer based on your summer/ year work. You'll also most likely be paid, which is very useful for your student union beer tokens.

Also, as an aside, ensure you look at the IET (Institute of Engineering and Technology) scholarship schemes such as the power academy. They're open to students enrolling at specific universities and offer work placements and money towards your fees, with NO tie ins afterwards. 60 places per year, guaranteed work placements, potentially 20 grands worth of money over 4 years, with no tie ins at the end. What is not to like?

Stu Haynes, MEng MIET MIEEE
Reply 11
Original post by pheonix254
Dreamester, I'm afraid you're mistaken.

There is absolutely no requirement for a placement in industry to get an MEng. How do I know? I have one, and did not do a year in industry.

With regards to EE or EEE, It is down to you. I would argue that EEE is better to get into renewables, as the Electrical side is more relevant. That said, I work for a High-Voltage power systems company and did EE. I work alongside physics/ mechanical engineering, civil engineering and nuclear graduates, all working on the same sorts of things - and our degree discipline isn't particularly relevant.

The point of engineering is that it is highly transferable. Indeed, it is extremely likely that all engineering university courses will have the same 1st and 2nd year layout, with just a few optional modules which are stream-specific (electronics/electrical/aerospace/civil etc.)

With regards to which one you should do - BEng/MEng/MSc, that is down to you. Enrolling on an MEng course and then transferring to a BEng is easier than the other way around. BEng + MSc, whilst not equivalent academically to an undergraduate MEng, is no different when you're applying for a job - they both meet the masters level academic requirement required for professional engineering chartership.

A number of high profile engineering firms will generally only take on Masters students (MEng or MSc) because of this. This is not always the case, and with the much higher fees, it is entirely possible that they may start taking BEng graduates. You often have the opportunity at a later date to do an industry funded (free for you) MSc with most large companies. I myself am doing a 2nd MSc to compliment my MEng.

Work placements are a very good idea, either throughout the summer, or as a year in industry. If your chosen university doesn't offer a sandwich year, you can always apply for summer placements, and that is what I did. It's a great way to trial real engineering, and if you're lucky you can get a job offer based on your summer/ year work. You'll also most likely be paid, which is very useful for your student union beer tokens.

Also, as an aside, ensure you look at the IET (Institute of Engineering and Technology) scholarship schemes such as the power academy. They're open to students enrolling at specific universities and offer work placements and money towards your fees, with NO tie ins afterwards. 60 places per year, guaranteed work placements, potentially 20 grands worth of money over 4 years, with no tie ins at the end. What is not to like?

Stu Haynes, MEng MIET MIEEE

Thanks a lot. Very useful post.

My main concern was that by opting for EE would render it near impossible to get a job in high voltage fields which is why I am more drawn to the BEng + MSc as opposed to a MEng in EE.

As suggested above however, would BEng + MSc be harder to get chartership?

Can I ask what uni you went to?
Either MEng or MSc qualifies you for the academic side of chartership. On top of that, you'll need a minimum of 2 years work experience to gain relevant technical and management experience competencies in engineering.

Neither MEng nor MSc is harder - we all took the same 4th year technical modules at Southampton, where I studied.

There MAY be a funding issue with transferring courses, as you may have to do with BEng to MSc. You may have to pay fees upfront and lose entitlement to a student loan for your final MSc year - this varies by institution, but generally, you get a student loan to finance undergraduate study - i.e. BEng or MEng (both undergraduate degrees.) An MSc on a BEng is a postgraduate qualification, hence you might not be able to get a student loan for that purpose, unless you sign up for it at the start of your programme. Just be aware, I'm not 100% clear on that, so get advice elsewhere, I'm just aware it did cause one of my friends an issue (who did BEng + MSc), so just be aware of that potential pitfall and what it means for you.

With regards to EE and Electrical jobs - it just depends on which company you are applying for. Many won't mind, Physics or Engineering of any discipline will be taken, provided you can justify it at interview. Some, on the other hand, particularly if they recruit using agencies (who filter using dumb binary logic) will immediately disqualify you because you don't have EEE. I haven't had a problem, though I've had some interesting arguments with Human Resources droids *ahem* recruiters on the subject.
Reply 13
You'll be able to get a job in the field you want with both degrees. They employ both electronic and electrical engineers.

Personally I would go with EEE as it is slightly broader, altho as I said, it makes little difference.

Quick Reply

Latest