How many societies should we join at university?

Watch
asparkyn
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
In the excitement of university, I've been looking through the entire list of societies offered, and found myself attracted by so many of them it's ridiculous I've decided to cross off some that I feel like I don't actually need or have time for, and I've come to a grand total of six societies that I want to join and participate and be active in.

From the experience of current university students, is this too many? I want to be reasonably active in all of them (and perhaps devote most of my effort into one, for example) but I do want some free time all to myself too.

I probably won't be able to be as active on my second year, so I would cut down then, but is six alright?

What about you all? What societies are you interested in?
Nirgilis
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Everyone that I'm aware of goes through this phase, myself included. It really depends on how you want to spend your time, and whether there are any clashes or not. What you have to remember, is you will also have flatmates and coursemates to find time to spend with, as well as actual work to do, so 6 might be a tad too many.

At the moment, I'm heavily involved in one society (see the video in my sig) where I spend most of my time when I'm not with my course/flatmates. I'm also involved in one sports society just to keep me active and hang around with the great people that are there. I could push up to getting involved with 3 societies, but, as you say, you need time to work as well!

Usually societies will have taster sessions. Go along to them before deciding on whether you want to pay membership and check your time constraints, but you will definitely have time for at least 2, maybe 3 or 4 if you manage your life effectively :yep:

EDIT: There are also those societies that won't live up to your expectations too, so it may be easier to cut down than you think
dotty_but_good
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by asparkyn)
is six alright?
I participate in a number of societies to a number of different levels but my main thing is kayaking where we go away for weekends. Then I play sports to a variety of college and University levels but being sports they all compliment each other so although I don't train that much for any one, overall they all improve my fitness and therefore my ability. I am also involved in college art.

I would say it is hard to throw yourself too hard at too many, most of my friends are kayakers but you can do things like play football once a month as well.

I would say 4 societies is beginning to reach the limit, but don't necessarily worry about choosing before you go, I thought I was going to get heavily involved in sailing and then I met the people and they although lovely weren't my kind of people so it didn't work out as I had suspected.
Meat is Murder
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What actually happens in a society? Is it just like a meet up?
Nirgilis
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Meat is Murder)
What actually happens in a society? Is it just like a meet up?
Depends what the society is. But essentially, yes.

If you're a member of the board game society, you will meet and play board games. If you're a member of the tea society, you will meet and drink tea :yep:

Other societies may have different agendas. If you're a member of a charity society, you may do fundraising etc.
Speckle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
6 is fine if you're willing to work hard. If it starts getting too much you can always drop some or just attend a few socials.
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm the same! I want to join so many. But I'm a drifter, non-commital type person. I pick up hobbies and abandon them, it's safe to say it's a pattern. So it'll probably iron itself out, I'll end up ditching a few as I go along. There's about 6 that I've decided I really really have to join. Whatever else happens though, I'm not giving up acting. In a very theatrical way, if I give up the stage, I'll die.
DalePie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Nirgilis)
If you're a member of the tea society, you will meet and drink tea :yep:
Oh lord, please let it be a biscuit, tea and weed smoking society too .
georgia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The way exec committees work for societies/sports at Warwick varies so much so it is hard to explain how involved I have been on average during the year.

However at my busiest point I was president of one society, on the exec of another which I am heavily involved in (actually way more than the involvement I had for the one I was pres of which was FAR too much work in itself), and I didn't participate with any other societies or have much of a social life outside the library or society socials. And at that point I was finding it ridiculously hard to keep up with my uni work.

I know tons of people who are members of up to ten societies and participate in them, but usually they aren't on the exec for any. That really bumps up the time commitment involved.

Currently I am also on two execs. However, these are the previously mentioned involving one, and the second is a very small role which only really takes up a couple of hours a week. Eeeeasy peasy. Having said that, there are so many societies I would love to be involved with but I just don't think I will realistically have the time. And tbh I absolutely love and adore the one I'm heavily involved with so it's not like I feel like I need to participate with others especially given it is my final year.

ANYWAY. That was a long ramble of an answer. Essentially there is no number you 'should' join or not. Just see what takes your fancy, try them out, and then you'll work out which ones you want to stick with. I would advise not holding more than two exec positions at a time though as you will find it way too much work (thanks to the way handover works I almost had three at once, around the time of essay hell, and would have cried). Also of course different societies are things which require different amounts of input/commitment blah blah blah so it depends a lot on what you want to do in the first place.

But definitely join as many as you feel you can be active within. Societies and sports have been the best part of my university time besides my year abroad! (Helpful hint - if you can go on Erasmus then GO!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (44)
15.77%
I'm not sure (8)
2.87%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (99)
35.48%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.43%
I'm not a current university student (124)
44.44%

Watched Threads