This discussion is closed.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Got infected by Bagle this morning, what a way to start my Sunday. I thought the lists were supposed to be scanned?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Everybody - watch out for any text files you receive - don't open them, even if they're on supposedly-scanned university email lists! :mad:
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Nasty, don't open emails form people who you don't know.
sparkler
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
what does bagle do??
rIcHrD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Got infected by Bagle this morning, what a way to start my Sunday. I thought the lists were supposed to be scanned?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Everybody - watch out for any text files you receive - don't open them, even if they're on supposedly-scanned university email lists! :mad:
You can't get infected by a text file. Unless you mean it was a file with a .txt.exe /.txt.js or any other similar executable extension.

I got sent 2 exes today through the uni network; none was expected. Both are probably worms as there was no accompanying message. Uni mail scanning isn't very good anyway. Anyone could write a new 'virus' not related to others and thus get through all antivirus screening.
TheWolf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by sparkler)
what does bagle do??
The Bagle virus has tricked lots of people
Warnings are being issued about the rapidly spreading Bagle Windows worm.
The virus poses as a test message and so far has tricked people in 87 countries into opening it and helping it spread.

Bagle plunders address books for e-mail addresses and uses an in-built mail program to send itself to new victims.

It also tells its creator about an infected computer and tries to open a backdoor that a malicious hacker could use to take control of the machine.

Blizzard from Oz

"We have seen over 60,000 copies of Bagle, and this number is rising at an alarming rate," said Paul Wood, chief security analyst at MessageLabs.

MessageLabs said that currently 1 in every 136 e-mails it was stopping was bearing the virus.

Mr Wood said the Windows virus was spreading quickly despite using crude techniques to manipulate people into opening it.

If you get an e-mail that looks like this, delete it
The Bagle worm can be spotted in e-mail inboxes as it always has a subject line that reads simply: "Hi"

The text of the message makes the message look like it is a test from technical support. Sometimes the attached file bears an icon that makes it look like it is a calculator.

Users' machines will only be infected if they open and run the attachment bearing the worm.

Like many other recent viruses, Bagle travels with its own e-mail software that help it despatch itself to all the addresses it steals from an infected machine.

Many people in Australia look like they have been caught out by the virus as many of the copies of Bagle caught by MessageLabs have originated there.

Security experts believe that Bagle is modelled on the notorious Sobig series of viruses as it bears many similarities with those malicious programs.

Like those viruses Bagle has an in-built timer that, in this case, will stop the worm spreading on 28 January.

As well stealing e-mail addresses Bagle also attempts to let its creator know when it has managed to infect a new victim. It also opens up a backdoor on infected machines that hands over control of that machine to the virus' creator.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I got sent a bagle last thursday, but i didn't open it.

the header was "failed message delivery", the file was called "my family tree.zip"
Barny
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
If a file is <100kb, and a .exe from someone you dont know and you open it youre a fool
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
If a file is <100kb, and a .exe from someone you dont know and you open it youre a fool
as long as you dont run the exe, you can open the email to read it right?
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
as long as you dont run the exe, you can open the email to read it right?
there might be some form of self-executable in the email (if it is HTML) which will install the virus, even if you just open it to read it.
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
Rant over, those email lists aren't scanned apparently - sidney just scans internal ones. Sigh.

rIcHrD: It said .txt I think - it opened notepad anyway, and the scanner said it had wiped Bagle.. I dunno, I know nothing about computers! But our wonderful computer officer saved the day anyway

PS I don't think you can get infected just by opening an email - you have to be a proper eejit like me and open the attachment...

edit: ah, it seems you can. Told you I know nothing about computers
rIcHrD
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
er... yeh you can, technically. Any decent email client software will however restrict exectution of scripts in HTML in email, so that's hardly a problem with modern software.

Glad to see you've sorted out your problem.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Were they from Amnesty by any chance Madnatsci? They just sent an email out saying don't open the last two emails. I always delete the amnesty ones straight off anyway - I don't even remember signing up for that, must have gone mad at the freshers' fair!
MadNatSci
Rep:
?
(Original post by blissy)
Were they from Amnesty by any chance Madnatsci? They just sent an email out saying don't open the last two emails. I always delete the amnesty ones straight off anyway - I don't even remember signing up for that, must have gone mad at the freshers' fair!

Nah, most of them came from the chemistry department!
chrisbphd
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Rant over, those email lists aren't scanned apparently - sidney just scans internal ones. Sigh.

rIcHrD: It said .txt I think - it opened notepad anyway, and the scanner said it had wiped Bagle.. I dunno, I know nothing about computers! But our wonderful computer officer saved the day anyway

PS I don't think you can get infected just by opening an email - you have to be a proper eejit like me and open the attachment...

If its any consolation, we've had it in Christ's too. Completely ruined my morning trying to get rid of it.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
Nasty, don't open emails form people who you don't know.
That is good advice, but at the same time implies that you can open emails from people you do know. FYI Cambridge was the first institution hit by the latest bagle/beagle virus and it took everyone by surprise. It infects you then scans your address book and sends it to all the people whilst saying it is from someone else in the addy book. It doesn't go to hotmail addresses, or msn addresses etc so it was undetected for a ,long time.
and its a pain in the ass to delete (you have to go into safe mode first - i know because i had to do it)
but for all those cambridge peeps - the CS have layed the smackdown on it so no more will be sent
J
DanMushMan
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
i got 4 emails today, all zip files <20kb. I scanned with a virus scanner, none infected. i even extracted the file, and rescanned, and nothing infected. I looked at what was in there, it was an exe file with a text icon, like i was going to open it..... so deleted them all.
Egan1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
My computer has also just been attacked by a virus which is being a complete *beep*. My Dad has been trying to get rid of it since last night, but as you clean the files they're being reinfected. Will probably have to reformat or similar. Meh, I'm not very technical, just hope it gets sorted -with my files/documents intact.

I think it may have come in from a file I accepted over msn from a friend. He'd told me enthusiastically about it the other day, so despite my dubious morals I thought I'd have a look and delete *sigh*. I sinceerely *beep*-ed off, and frustrated with myself, as I'm normally very careful online.

My sister is letting me use her comp for short periods, but I'll be pleased once I can get back on mine.

Damn.
byb3
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
sheffields virus scanner is great, i haven't had a single trouble with it. however there has been a bit of trouble with the blaster virus and a worm called roror or oror. mainly with people who have no idea what they are doing with their computer.

adam
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by piginapoke)
You should really be able to remove it without reformatting...
Probably. As I say, my Dad is attempting it, has been conversing with various tech 'agents' of Mcaffee (after original attempts failed) or whatever the name but they haven't won through as yet. Bah, I'm not very technical, will leave it to them and hope.
username9816
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago

Hehe, when I saw the thread title I was about to reply thinking you actually had a virus! i.e.) You were ill.

Ohh well, least you are healthy!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (0)
0%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (7)
63.64%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (2)
18.18%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
9.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
9.09%

Watched Threads