Turn on thread page Beta

Viruses watch

Announcements

(Original post by Egan1)
    Probably. As I say, my Dad is attempting it, has been conversing with various tech 'agents' of Mcaffee (after original attempts failed) or whatever the name but they haven't won through as yet. Bah, I'm not very technical, will leave it to them and hope.
    dude, this is the best advise you'll ever get
    find out what file the virus is in. check that it's the only file that the virus has (some have a loader which although isn't part of the virus, it will load up the virus)
    write down where they are
    start up your computer. press F8 whilst it loads. you'll get some options. go into 'safe mode'
    Safe mode will only load up the drivers for keyboard, mouse, display etc. So it will NEVER load up the virus too
    Next, find the virus files (you wrote them down remember)
    delete them
    J
    (ps this is the best way of getting rid of beagle/bagle in my mind~)

(Original post by piginapoke)
    I don't have any AV software (never had any) and have only ever been infected by MSBlaster and that was 10 minutes after a clean install and while I was downloading the patch!

All it takes is a little knowledge and some common sense to avoid getting infected.
    yeh but u might have been infected with worms or trojans.
    Internet is like real life. If everyone has up to date scanners then it means viruses quickly die out. If some people don't have them, it allows them to become carriers and continually churn out the same old viruses.
    God i hate people with your attitude - in both situations
    J

ReputationRep:
    Do you know which strain of bagle (or as symantec names it beagle) you have? Have you looked at the symantec website for instructions on how to remove the virus? They're usually quite helpful.

ReputationRep:
    someone sent me this as a remedy for the zipped virus which has been going around. i haven't needed to use it, so i can't vouch for it.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_101048.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    dude, this is the best advise you'll ever get
    find out what file the virus is in. check that it's the only file that the virus has (some have a loader which although isn't part of the virus, it will load up the virus)
    But how do I discover where it is coming from? I deleted the suspect file immediately but it could have been from anywhere. Excuse me if I am being ignorant of some proceedure but, as I say, I'm not very knowledgable around this area. Virus scans repeatedly come up with hundreds of infected files, which are then cleaned, and then become reinfected.
    We have now been through and basically deleted all application and zip files in 'My Documents' so that I can safely transfer all of my files onto CDs.
    I think the plan is then to reformat, which is something I'd been wondering about doing for a while anyway. It'll be a pain having to reinstall everything but at least it'll get rid of unwanted stuff, and of course, the virus itself...I hope.

---

[Dad says:] Mcaffee has suggested that we do a DOS virus scan but there is not enough memory to do this and we are having trouble loading up EMM386 and HIMEM into the DOS environment.

---

I daresay that'll mean more to you than it does to me.

ReputationRep:
    I have a really bad virus, it has messed up everything, my dad says its a trojan virus or something (wasnt really listening). I always get viruses, its not fair!

ReputationRep:
    <my inner pedant> virii, not viruses. huh.</my inner pedant>

ReputationRep:
    Megan, do a free Symantec virus scan. It's very good and will usually find you virus if you are infected. What are your virus symptoms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Megan, do a free Symantec virus scan. It's very good and will usually find you virus if you are infected. What are your virus symptoms?
    Well, it hasn't actually done much as yet, apart from infect half my computer. But the most recent scan has come up with only 10 infected, so fingers crossed it is on its way out and we wont have to do anything too drastic, apart from reinstall a couple of things I deleted earlier.

The virus is called w23/Pate.b is that means anything.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably try it out a bit later.

Right, should really be doing some work, have a few large bits in for Tuesday and a Data Handling maths module tomorrow. Gah.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone actually tried getting rid of a virus by contacting microsoft's call centre??????
    it's in INDIA.....
    Time delays
    social misunderstandings
    and finally it proves to be as useless as a chocolate teapot!!!!
    Just as the computer is hanging by its short and curlies you get dissconnected...

ReputationRep:
    woo hoo im a respected and adored member

ReputationRep:
    Sorted, hopefully.

Google searches are processing at an irritating speed, which may be due to the new virus checker, though I don't see why it should be.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.