Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This is pretty random, but when did you make friends with the people you think will be in your life for a long time, or people that you're really close to, I'm talking maid of honour/best man kind of friends.
I only ask because I'm 19, I've got only 1 person from primary school I still talk to, just a couple from secondary school, and now I'm at uni and I feel like basically all the friends I have now, except maybe 2/3 people from university are just acquaintances, who I'll never really get that close to or be friends with for a long time. I don't know if it's a problem with me or if I just haven't come across the right people yet. Sorry if this sounds silly!
Darkphilosopher
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm 18 and I'm still very close friends with somebody I've known since I was about 6. (That's about it though )
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 8 years ago
I'm the same.
NeverEatFish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just one really who I met when I started secondary school, been best friends ever since
Rhadamanthus
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have one close friend from the start of primary school, one close friend since the start of high school and one close friend from high school who I was only really close with in the last few months. Everyone else came after that.
funsongfactory
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have 2 friends from secondary school who I reckon I'll be friends with forever, I'll have to see what happens with uni in the autumn!...
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not close with anyone from primary school, however there are a few friends who I know since year 7, I think I'll stay very good friends with them for the rest of my life tbh, touchwood...
M4LLY
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am close friends with one guy since primary school (i've known him since i were a toddler) and i have about 6-7 close friends from secondary school
TattyBoJangles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've only just left Sixth Form, but I think I can count the number of people I know I'll stay in contact with on one hand.

Don't get me wrong, I love all of my friends - but some of them are far easier to keep in contact with / are more reliable when you do make plans.

I met my absolute best friend at the beginning of Sixth Form, when he moved here from his old town. We've become far closer than me and my old friends from primary school ever have been.
To put it into perspective, he's now moved back to his old town which is ~45 minutes away. Despite this, I've seen him the most out of anyone bar my boyfriend since exams have finished and we text most days. I have friends that live a ten minute walk away that I've not seen since mid-June..
bellazz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
this doesnt sound silly to me at all. here is the justification!

when ur children, the friends which u make dont have any financial/other interest in u as at that time ur nobody (status-wise). when u r in the uni or some professional college, the friends can see ur future and standing in the society. that frndship is somewhat related to that thing and it doesnt come from within the heart.

this is just my opinion. i dont say it applies to everybody!

Hope it helps!
steveproxy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have very few close friends ...... or i can say i have just 1 .
TheBigGeek
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My closest two friends (who's entire families are now life-long friends with our family so it's unlikely we'll lose touch) I've known for 16 and 13 years respectively and I'm 16. My other three close friends I've known for 5 years and 3 years (two of them I've known for three years).

I've always preferred forging long lasting friendships - It does take effort though!
canŵio
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i think i'm definitely closest to the people i've known the longest - my best friends are those i've known since i was 4, and we went to school together for 14 years. people i've met in the last few years i'm just not as close to.

but it makes sense for you to meet closer friends when you get a job - you may share more interests, and unlike at school, you don't have to spend much time with them if you don't want to. most of my parents friends are from when they were at school or college though.
geeksandtherest
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have a few long term friends whom I have know since childhood. But one lesson that I have learnt about life long friends is they are not created or discovered in at the click of fingers or simply by hanging out with X and having a laugh or two. It takes a commitment and dedication and living a selfless life when it comes to keeping people in your life. As in you cannot expect people to be there for you when you have not done likewise.

Secondly, I believe the reason our generation now days struggles to have life long friends is because young people want thing right here and then. But it takes a lot of humbleness and a forgiving spirit to be able to sustain friendship over a length period of time.

Thirdly, I have also discovered that there is also unspoken degree of envy and jealously over accomplishments and material wealth attainted which destroys a lot of friendships. As a consequence prevents the growth and maturity of friendships.

This is just my take on friends so far.
willbee
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I always think I'll be life-long friends with my best mates, then one of us moves away and I learn how good they are at keeping in touch. I've moved about a lot though and don't expect many life-long friends. I have life-long family friends, but I think that's different, they're an extension of family more than friends. I'd like to think some of my current friends at uni will be life-long friends, but I don't know if they'll make the effort to keep in touch as well. It takes a surprising amount of effort and has to be a mutual thing.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have no real friends. Billy no-mates me.
jessyclark
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have only two close friends
southend1112
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have one from pre school and around 3 from secondary

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
bananaslug77
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think I have a couple of life long friends. I lost a lot of very good friends when I moved to Scotland from England, and I basically had to start from scratch again. There's one girl I met in first year and we have been very good friends for the last 8 years
Big Ern McCracken
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have a couple I've known for big chunks of my life. One guy I've known since way back at nursery then got reacquainted with at secondary school, I'm moving in with him next year. We're not joined together at the hip or anything, but we've got similar personalities and almost the exact same sense of humour, so we always click.

Then another chap, who I've been pretty much best friends with since primary school is someone else I know I'll keep in contact with for a long time. I don't see enough of him these days, with us being in different countries most of the year, but there's still a strong bond there. That makes it sound like I want to have sex with him. I don't.

Then I've got a handful of people I'd call close friends, most of them I met in secondary school. The rest are aquaintances really, people from work or uni I like but wouldnt know me as well as the others. Karl Pilkington said that you only really need seven friends in your life. I think that rings true.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise