The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Some answers please ?

Heya, i live in nottinghamshire and have recieved offers from QMUL and LSE. Waiting on KCL.
Im wanting to do Law by the way.
Im considering choosing QMUL above LSE because LSE appears to be extremely snobby and very work orientated. Sort of, no social life?

Anyway there are a few questions/concerns I have about QMUL.

1) Crime and security - this really scares me iv heard some scary things!! What is it like, has everyone had mixed experiences?
2) Social life - do people ever go into central london at night for the occassional big club night out or is the student union mainly used?
3) Erm and like thirdly, whats the gay/bi scene like at this uni? Is there one and are the people generally accepting. Sigh i come from up North lol so its not exactly the most accepting of environments.

Thanks
Reply 1
1) I wouldn't go to the extent to say there is no crime in the surrounding area, crime is evident everywhere in London. But as for Mile End I say it's safe, I've walked all hours of the day through the area, no problem at all. As long as your vigilant and generally street wise you'll have no problem in Mile End. Been here for 5 years, no problems.

2) It's a bit of both, there are alot more people on campus nowadays as a result of the new student village and the student union bar and other student stuff is well equiped with students and nights, so plenty of social stuff on campus. Otherwise if you want a change as one guy as mentioned, there is literally a free bus number 25* which follows the main route into the west end, takes about 35 mins on an average day (20mins on a very good day and at night). I usually take the train because I want to usually get somewhere fast, but then going back there is no rush and get the free bus back :biggrin:. Overall we are the fun and social lot of UoL.

3) As for the LGBT scene, I believe there is a society, going on for many years. I knew some people who were gay when I was in halls, nice folks, knew all the gay bars and events at QM. So no need to feel like you'll be left out.

I hope that's helped. All the best.

*If you get caught, be prepared to pay penalty, once you use these bendy buses, you'll know the trick when you see an inspector. I personally have never seen an inspector in my time, so just relax but at the same time be vigilant.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Blimey - Law is excellent at QMUL, undoubtedly. But LSE is also an exceptional uni for law. Anyway, regarding your questions:

1) No crime blah blah blah - all a load of fake hearsay (I'm often out around Mile End, Stepney Green etc, and no trouble whatsoever.
2) Both. As the City is a couple of minutes away on the bus, its easy. Bit longer to the west end, but the tube will accommodate you there, and there are plenty of students who prefer West End. But then I also see a fair few students for the union as well.
3) God knows. I is a bit straight, and if I really started knowing my stuff here, I'd be seriously worried about myself :smile:

Hang on: I'll find a link. There must be a LGBT society (ow whatever the acronym is :redface:) http://qmsu.org/socs/ Look for 'Queer Mary' :laugh: love the name.
Reply 3
Here goes.

Mile End is safe, act responsibly and it's exactly the same as any place in London. In fact i would say that thanks to the uni the surrounding area is safer than you would expect.
As for central London, it is expensive and people go there once or twice a week which keeps it excitin! but Mile End is the perfect distance, theres a 'free' 24hr bus!
Not to sure about the gay scene but there is a society for that and i have never seen anyone with a problem with it, unlikr the north!

simply_greg
Heya, i live in nottinghamshire and have recieved offers from QMUL and LSE. Waiting on KCL.
Im wanting to do Law by the way.
Im considering choosing QMUL above LSE because LSE appears to be extremely snobby and very work orientated. Sort of, no social life?

Anyway there are a few questions/concerns I have about QMUL.

1) Crime and security - this really scares me iv heard some scary things!! What is it like, has everyone had mixed experiences?
2) Social life - do people ever go into central london at night for the occassional big club night out or is the student union mainly used?
3) Erm and like thirdly, whats the gay/bi scene like at this uni? Is there one and are the people generally accepting. Sigh i come from up North lol so its not exactly the most accepting of environments.

Thanks
Reply 4
I am a student from QMUL and have a friend studying in LSE who I often see (who does law coincidentally).

I have met some of his friends and flatmates and I must say that although they may be snobby, they are a rather intelligent and friendly bunch. That's not to say however that people from QMUL are stupid or anything, I've also met quite a few intellectually stimulating people around here.
Reply 5
Go To LSE. Prospects will probably be better. Put it this way, I think you'll be able to achieve what you want to achieve at QMUL but you'll have to work quite a bit harder.
Reply 6
It's the East End, sop of course there's crime. However, if you follow common sense (don't walk down the poorly lit streets talking loudly on your cameraphone and listening to you ipod, etc) then you'll do fine. I myself have lived in Mile End for nearly four yearsm, and have never had any troubles.

The QM nightlife is improving by leaps and bounds. e1 (the nightclub) has a series of good nights, although it will close in December 2006. However, the union bar (Drapers) will double in size and function as a bar/club hybrid, due to open by Jan 2007.

As for the gay scene, there is a long-running LGBT society that can be contacted via www.qmsu.org . There is also a [in]famous gay bar withing walking distance known as the Black Horse.
Reply 7
Thanks for the informative responses. I think crime is like anywhere, exaggerated and always present. I go out in Nottingham quite a bit (gun capitol of the UK....) and i have never actually seen ONE fight! I guess its just down to common sense in the end.

I am giving a lot of thought to QM as LSE doesn't SEEM like the uni for me, the whole studying 24/7 thing just isn't me... i like a good social life.

Can you listen to your ipod on your way to central london without getting mugged (lol). (Like from the uni, to the transport, to central London)

Sounds like a fun place to be!!
Reply 8
Of course you can.
You could pretty much walk around with your apple laptop in your hand without getting mugged. 99/100 times, you probably wouldn't even get a 2nd look. But of course, you're inciting trouble. That would be the same for anywhere.

You can definitely listen to your ipod on the way to Central London! I am positively sure you will not get mugged for your ipod. Seriously, crime is really not an issue. Also bare in mind, QM is on the fringe of the City, meaning a lot of business people are travelling past the Uni everyday, both in and out of work.

Oh - campus environments are supposed to be fun places to be :wink:

Latest