New ear piercing problems

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi,

I had my upper ear (cartilidge) pierced five weeks ago. Initially it was fine, but for the past few weeks I have been having issues.

- The back is REALLY swollen
- When I clean it there is yellowish pus on the front side, and lots of
blood on the back
- Hair gets caught behind and matted in the blood

I don’t know what to do. I am cleaning it with salt water twice a day and not touching it much in between. The earring moves easily and it’s not that painful or anything, just sensitive. I try to cut the hair away, but can’t get to it all.
I also can’t seem to take it out.

Should I go back to the piercers/doctors and ask for it to be removed (and replaced by a small ring?) or leave it and see how it goes?

Thanks!
funsongfactory
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go see your doctor, mine had yellowish pus coming from it and it was an infection that needed antibiotics.
VickyTink
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would go back to the piercer, it could be that the bar is too tight so your piercer needs to replace it with a bigger bar. They'll also tell you how best to clean it and advise you if you need to go to the doctors.

It could be that you're sleeping on it too though. One of my friends lobes did the pus/blood thing, but once I'd cleaned it all up for him, I changed the stud and he's had no problems since.
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Where did you have it pierced? was it with a gun or a needle? What sort of metal is the bar made of? is it a bar or an earring?

You can buy bioplast (body friendly plastic) bars that are really good for healing so it might be worth buying one of those and changing the bar.

like this: http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/onl...oplast_776.cfm
Anonymous #1
Thanks everyone I will try to go back first chance I have and ask for it to be replaced with a new earring, although I won't be able to go until next weekend - will it be ok until then?

(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
Where did you have it pierced? was it with a gun or a needle? What sort of metal is the bar made of? is it a bar or an earring?

You can buy bioplast (body friendly plastic) bars that are really good for healing so it might be worth buying one of those and changing the bar.

like this: http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/onl...oplast_776.cfm
It's a normal stud earring - they gave me a choice of pretty simple ones when I got it done, so I think it's considered safe. It was pierced with a gun (I think).

I think I might have pushed the clasp at the back in too far, which may be an issue.
Sakura-Chan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If your hair is getting stuck in it, then tied it up or clip it out of the way as much as you can. If bits are stuck in/around the piercing then it'd be a good idea to ask your mum/dad/a friend to clean it properly for you so that they can see what they're doing and make sure it's all out.

When you are cleaning it, what quantities of salt and water are you using? It's possible that the salt solution you're using is too harsh, and that you're over cleaning it which is making things worse. I used to have a lot of piercings and post on a piercing forum often, and a lot of people use the LITHA (leave it the hell alone) method when healing new piercings. Basically, just leave it to it's own devices and clean off any crusty bits with fresh/plain water. Imo, this works really well.

I agree with the other people who have suggested going back to your piercer and asking for their opinion. However, there is no point getting the jewellery changed to a ring, they move a hell of a lot more and will just aggravate the piercing. Don't take the jewellery out for good either. This is one of the worst things you could do as it will just trap everything inside your ear.

EDIT: Just seen your latest post. I think it'd be a good idea for you to go to a proper, reputable piercing studio and getting the jewellery changed to something more suitable. Earrings with butterfly backs trap so much dirt, are a terrible thing to have in healing piercing and (imo) are just generally a crappy thing to have stuck through any body part :sadnod: A labret stud is a much better alternative! But like I said, any good piercing studio will be able to sort this out for you.
Cybele
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks everyone I will try to go back first chance I have and ask for it to be replaced with a new earring, although I won't be able to go until next weekend - will it be ok until then?

It's a normal stud earring - they gave me a choice of pretty simple ones when I got it done, so I think it's considered safe. It was pierced with a gun (I think).

I think I might have pushed the clasp at the back in too far, which may be an issue.
You should never, ever get a cartilage piercing with a gun! That's probably the cause of your problems.

There shouldn't be any pus, if the salt water isn't clearing it then go to your doctor, it sounds infected. Maybe your best bet is to take it out, let it clear up and heal and then a few months down the line get another piercing done properly, with a needle.
Sakura-Chan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Cybele)
You should never, ever get a cartilage piercing with a gun! That's probably the cause of your problems.

There shouldn't be any pus, if the salt water isn't clearing it then go to your doctor, it sounds infected. Maybe your best bet is to take it out, let it clear up and heal and then a few months down the line get another piercing done properly, with a needle.
No no no. You need to keep jewellery in to act as a drain.
boba
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

that caused mine to get infected as it caused the front of the earring to get to get pulled into my ear but so slowly that I didn't notice. this then made it get infected as it had made a new bigger hole in my ear and the not cleaned part of the earring, the stud part which was only meant to be on the outside was partly in it.

I had to take mine out get it cleaned thoroughly and replace it with a very loose one. it took a long time to heal but I probably should of got antibiotics and then it would of been quicker. my ears now fine when I have an earring in but if I take it out I have a weird indent in a circle around the piercing where my earring was being pulled in and its quite deep and looks really werid.

I would advise sorting it out as soon as possible
Anonymous #1
Thanks so much everyone. Lots of helpful (albeit some contradictory!!) advice. Can anyone recommend a good piercers in Central/North London? I think I’d like to get it taken out and replaced (or not, depending on the recommendation) by someone trustworthy, and I’m not sure I want to go back to the place I got it done at. I assume a place will be ok doing this for me if I pay, even though I didn’t have the original piercing done there? Thank you!
LavenderBlueSky88
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sounds like the problem is stemming from the method in which it was pierced - with a gun and with a normal stud. What metal is the stud made of? I have had allergic reactions to all my lobe piercings as they were done with stainless steel/nickel based studs, when I have changed then to gold/titanium studs they are fine. I also think the back on normal studs causes hair to get caught, if you'd been pierced with a straight barbell/labret stud then this would be less likely to happen as the back wouldn't move. For now I'd say leave it alone, only touching it to clean it with a cotton bud and very diluted salt water. If it continues to flare up maybe go to the docs as it may be infected - be warned though they will probably suggest you take it out. Don't try and change it yourself, maybe go to a piercer and see if you can have a hypoallergenic/titanium stud put in instead.
Pickel Rick 093
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
OMG me 2 it’s not painful just sensitive but the hair has acctually got into the pricing hole and I don’t know if I should take the bar out ???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (639)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.24%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (377)
19.76%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.51%

Watched Threads