Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Famous. Not best. It's famous because it's pretty (although if you ask me, some of their buildings could do with a good clean) and because its choir is famous. The choir actually consists of 14 members of the college, which is a fairly tiny fraction. It's not that popular here, and it certainly isn't that good.
    Hi Helenia

What do you think of King's College's reputation in the university, mainly in terms of social aspects? I'll be going there in October and I thought it would be a good place to apply to since it's very tolerant and liberal and I'm an overseas student. But now I'm kinda worried about its reputation among other Cam students since no one seems to like it that much.. What do you think? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheldonzhang)
    ah....someone else has got to magdalene before me.....are u already there?
    who are you?? yes i'm there, well here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omer)
    What do you think of King's College's reputation in the university, mainly in terms of social aspects? I'll be going there in October and I thought it would be a good place to apply to since it's very tolerant and liberal and I'm an overseas student. But now I'm kinda worried about its reputation among other Cam students since no one seems to like it that much.. What do you think? Thanks
    Well, it's not universally loathed, like John's etc. It's just not as popular with students as it is with tourists. Their bar is quite cool and apparently their ents are good, though I've never been, but it doesn't have that great a reputation. And it's in loads of debt. As for its liberal rep - I really don't know that much, but all colleges have overseas students and most places are tolerant and liberal about the whole thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omer)
    Hi Helenia

Omer, which subject are you going to study? i'm doing english at king's in october...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhilomenaGuinea)
    Omer, which subject are you going to study? i'm doing english at king's in october...
    I'll be doing SPS, really looking forward to it actually.. What are your impressions of the college?

ReputationRep:
    Whats the general impression of emmanuel as far as people there and work goes? Also, do you get any ggod looking guys at cam? (im sure there must be some, many?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    Whats the general impression of emmanuel as far as people there and work goes? Also, do you get any ggod looking guys at cam? (im sure there must be some, many?)
    Emma is generally considered to be quite a cool place to be, but I don't actually know anyone there myself.

Erm, depends how you define good looking. There are lots of guys who I would go for, but they're not everyone's cup of tea. Chances are there'll be someone here who you like.

ReputationRep:
    Famous. Not best. It's famous because it's pretty (although if you ask me, some of their buildings could do with a good clean) and because its choir is famous. The choir actually consists of 14 members of the college, which is a fairly tiny fraction. It's not that popular here, and it certainly isn't that good.

Yeahh, oh of course, I have no idea as to which is the 'best', it's just that Kings/Trinity I would recommend if you are looking to work abroad (that's providing you have no particularly strong alternative preference).

Also, for graduate level, I actually think having Kings/Trinity is very impressive. Often the point is made that with regards to grad. study, the choice of college doesn't matter on the grounds that your teaching takes place at the faculty level, rather than college. Yeah, this is true, and on the whole it may not matter as to which college you attend. However, there are two (perhaps 3-with St Johns) exceptions, namely Trinity and Kings, these colleges get something like 14/15 applications per place. If you can get into one of the two, it looks absolutely fantastic in that you've beaten 13/14 people for that place, and these are people who've already gotten into Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Yeahh, oh of course, I have no idea as to which is the 'best', it's just that Kings/Trinity I would recommend if you are looking to work abroad (that's providing you have no particularly strong alternative preference).

Also, for graduate level, I actually think having Kings/Trinity is very impressive. Often the point is made that with regards to grad. study, the choice of college doesn't matter on the grounds that your teaching takes place at the faculty level, rather than college. Yeah, this is true, and on the whole it may not matter as to which college you attend. However, there are two (perhaps 3-with St Johns) exceptions, namely Trinity and Kings, these colleges get something like 14/15 applications per place. If you can get into one of the two, it looks absolutely fantastic in that you've beaten 13/14 people for that place, and these are people who've already gotten into Cambridge.
    trinity isn't very oversubscribed, according to the pros its kings, emma and clare which are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    trinity isn't very oversubscribed, according to the pros its kings, emma and clare which are.

I was told by the admissions sec. at Trinity that at graduate level it receives over 800 applications for 60 odd places (which surprised me as I had thought it has something like 120 places-although my explanation is that perhaps half of its places are reserved for previous students of the college or of the univ. of Cambridge itself). I can think of several reasons as to why the situation differs for grad students, as opposed to undergrads, that is assuming you are referring to the undergraduate cohort.

Although it would be truly fantastic if you were to reply and claim that you were indeed referring to graduate studies and that the admissions secretary is just full of it...although I shan't be counting on that happening!

ReputationRep:
    Possibly 60 Arts and 60 Sciences places? I think they do sometimes split them like that. Trinity may well be more popular than other colleges for grad students; I don't know. College reputations are unlikely to matter quite as much if you're doing research rather than hanging around in college groups, and Trinity is richer and has more places than a lot of other colleges.

The poll is scaring me - Clare is now below John's! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanMushMan)
    who are you?? yes i'm there, well here.
    i'm going there in october if i get AAA for medicine

ReputationRep:
    Define 'best'?!

I can definitely rank them by may balls though!

1) Trinity
    2) Nothing else comes close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodlebeetle)
    Define 'best'?!

I can definitely rank them by may balls though!

1) Trinity
    2) Nothing else comes close.

Lol, sadly probably true. However, Trinity's is only going to be worth it if you get tickets. Which most people don't. The whole ritual surrounding it is a bit crazy to me - I'm going to Clare's and going to have a fab time with my friends.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i was really peeved with this year's ticketing system. my friend got run over by 3 bikes, and we all ran across the road in front of cars!! It was so dangerous. We were also out there early, but just couldnt cycle/run fast enough to burrell's field. Then loads of people pushed in front of us, so we weren't in the top 250. *Sob sob* There must have been well over a 1000 people racing across cambridge that day!!

But anyhow... my friend offered me a double in the end, so woohoo! I'm sorted. Kekeke..

(Just gotta get the money...)

ReputationRep:
    Lol, sadly probably true. However, Trinity's is only going to be worth it if you get tickets. Which most people don't. The whole ritual surrounding it is a bit crazy to me - I'm going to Clare's and going to have a fab time with my friends.
    John's is rather good as well - seems to be the only night of the year that everybody doesn't hate us...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaiserSoze)
    John's is rather good as well - seems to be the only night of the year that everybody doesn't hate us...
    LOL! Well, Clare's is meant to be a very friendly romantic one, just not on the same scale as Trinity and John's.

Doodlebeetle, which college are you at? Do they really only have 250 tickets for their ball? And why on earth would your friend get a ticket and then get rid of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaiserSoze)
    lol... i managed by some incredible fluke to wind up at both trinity and john's last year without even trying (though i was really ill at trinity and had to be put in a bed). Unfortunately, I didnt rate john's all that much, despite the excellent fireworks and abundance of food. I didn't feel there was really enough in the way of entertainment... My friends were performing the lion dance though!

ReputationRep:
    LOL! Well, Clare's is meant to be a very friendly romantic one, just not on the same scale as Trinity and John's.

Doodlebeetle, which college are you at? Do they really only have 250 tickets for their ball? And why on earth would your friend get a ticket and then get rid of it?
    Oh no.. i'm having to post lots of replies all in one go! :rolleyes:

They only have 250 pairs that they will allocate in the queueing system. The rest are taken by trinity students who are all guaranteed a double if they apply. They can also apply for an extra double, which my friend did, but they'll only really get it if they're finalists/scholars. Hence.. she has a spare double to give to me! Yay!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodlebeetle)
    Oh no.. i'm having to post lots of replies all in one go! :rolleyes:

They only have 250 pairs that they will allocate in the queueing system. The rest are taken by trinity students who are all guaranteed a double if they apply. They can also apply for an extra double, which my friend did, but they'll only really get it if they're finalists/scholars. Hence.. she has a spare double to give to me! Yay!
    *Note to self* make friends with Trinity people. Or get Trinity boyfriend. Both unlikely. Ah well... where are you at yourself?

How much are Trinity tickets?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.