Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Spend it, or save it for uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering buying myself a DSLR this summer as a little gift to myself.

I'm going to be working full time to save around £2000 to start university this October. I'll probably spend around £500 of the £2000 and save the rest.

I've done a pretty in depth budget and worked out that, with the grants and bursaries I'm eligible for, as long as I work full time during the holidays and at least 12 hours a week during term time, I should have a lot more than £500 left over to spend.

My parents really aren't too keen on the idea, but I never really get to treat myself with something like this...

Is it a bad idea?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Spend it.

ReputationRep:
    £500 is 1/4 of your savings. If you look at it that way, it's quite a lot of money to spend.

I wouldn't even spend £200 if I only had £2,000.

£500 is too much to spend on one thing.

ReputationRep:
    i am with you in this. one must save money for any emergency needs.my father says that build ur financial system like a pyramid. u must have a strong base to start with. it means before u go for a iphone or something like this, dont forget that u have ur basic needs fulfilled already. for instance, food, house, billing and a reasonable car etc.

hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaturalAndReal)
    I'm considering buying myself a DSLR this summer as a little gift to myself.

I'm going to be working full time to save around £2000 to start university this October. I'll probably spend around £500 of the £2000 and save the rest.

I've done a pretty in depth budget and worked out that, with the grants and bursaries I'm eligible for, as long as I work full time during the holidays and at least 12 hours a week during term time, I should have a lot more than £500 left over to spend.

My parents really aren't too keen on the idea, but I never really get to treat myself with something like this...

Is it a bad idea?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    What camera are you after? Would you consider a cheaper one ? Because I know of some very good cameras that are not as expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YB101)
    What camera are you after? Would you consider a cheaper one ? Because I know of some very good cameras that are not as expensive
    I might do, as long as the quality is good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaturalAndReal)
    I might do, as long as the quality is good!
    The LUMIX G Compact systems are pretty good
    I'll update you later on some other compact systems that are cheaper, i can't remember them all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YB101)
    The LUMIX G Compact systems are pretty good
    I'll update you later on some other compact systems that are cheaper, i can't remember them all
    Ah, see, that's the thing- I'm looking for a DSLR, rather than a compact system or a bridge camera.

ReputationRep:
    I'd do it, dont be boring.

Poll
What is your favourite film genre?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.