Charliebartoc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi there,
I'm a french student planning to apply to oxford, lse, ucl and warwick. I managed getting most of the informations needed by browsing college's websites but there are few points that are still unclear for me.
Let me precise firstly that I want to apply for the following courses: ppe for oxford&warwick and philo&econ for lse and ucl.
-Concerning the predicted grades, whom am I supposed to ask ?
-Do the colleges pay a lot of intention to the "anticipated baccalaureat" which comprises the following subjects: french ("speaking"&writing)/sciences/and a (big) group work (70 pages as to me)
In fact I hope they do because I received my grades yesterday and I got 18 Out of 20 for the writing, 19 for the group work, 17 at the speaking and 20 at sciences which are excellent marks !
-In regards to oxford, do you think that the french accent is eliminatory for the potential interview even if I got great scores at the TOEFL (>110) and speak well ?
-If I send the marks I got this year, my rankings (1st) and assessments weitt by my professors to Oxford, should I also send them to the other colleges ? Can I at least? Because I think it would give value to my application !
I might have other questions that i forgot,
Thank you in advance for helping me!
Charles

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
up
Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
Have I posted in the wrong section ? If so let me know and I'll remove it to the right one !

Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
Last thing, it may sound stupid but it isn't that clear to me. Would i have better chances to get in Lse if I pit it as my first choice than if I put it as second choice after oxford ppe ?

bownessie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Predicted grades you need your school to fill them in.

No you won't have a better chance of getting into LSE if you put it 'first' on your application because you don't rank your choices. The only time you rank choices is after you get an offer.
bownessie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
All the stuff you send with your application you do through a centralised service: UCAS. You send all your stuff through that, Oxford may ask for separate stuff and they'll tell you how to hand it in.

No, of course a french accent won't mean you can't do an interview.
Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
Ok thanks a lot ! I was also wondering which teachers I was supposed to ask for my predicted grades. Those of this year who have been mixing with me for an entire year or those of next year. Taking into account that I apply to oxford, I'll have to send all the stuff before the 15th of october so this means that teachers of next year will barely know me if I ask them about the predicted grades !
No idea about the anticipated baccalaureat ?

magicmuggle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Oxford website says that they accept the following:

French Baccalauréat or Option Internationale du Baccalauréat with an average score of at least 15.

I don't know much about French education, so IDK if either of these are what you are doing? If this is not, try emailing the universities themselves and ask. Also, you need to consider how relevant your subjects are to the PPE degree - are you just taking French and sciences?
Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
Ok thanks ! No in fact, the french system is a bit different ! When you are sixteen (approximately) you have to choose between three sections:
-L for literraire (literrature)
-ES for Economics and Social
-S for Scientific
I chose ES and I took this year the first part of the baccalaureat including french (very important), sciences and this group work. Next year comes the biggest part with mathematics, economics and so on and I'll have to take every subject purposed anyway.

The marks that I've become this month count for the biggest part. And I hope to get at least 16/20 in the main!

Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
I was also wondering whether it is a problem or not for me to apply to ppe at oxford and philo&econ at lse and the others. Do you think it could affect the coherence of my PS ? I mean, it may sound weird for lse if I began speaking about my interest for politics don't you think ?

Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
Nobody ?

chr1stopher11
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Charliebartoc)
-Concerning the predicted grades, whom am I supposed to ask ?
Your teachers and your university admissions person at your school should be able to help you with determining your predicted grades.

-Do the colleges pay a lot of intention to the "anticipated baccalaureat" which comprises the following subjects: french ("speaking"&writing)/sciences/and a (big) group work (70 pages as to me)
In fact I hope they do because I received my grades yesterday and I got 18 Out of 20 for the writing, 19 for the group work, 17 at the speaking and 20 at sciences which are excellent marks !
I guess you meant attention rather than intention. If they are official marks that have been approved by a qualification authority and contribute towards your final mark for the baccalaureate then yes. If they are mock exams and have been marked by teachers at your school and have not been approved by a qualification authority then no. You would list grades you have achieved and are predicted to achieve on your UCAS (university and college admission service) application.

-In regards to oxford, do you think that the french accent is eliminatory for the potential interview even if I got great scores at the TOEFL (>110) and speak well ?
If they can understand you it won't be a problem. Even if you have a quite thick accent you should be understood without many problems.

-If I send the marks I got this year, my rankings (1st) and assessments weitt by my professors to Oxford, should I also send them to the other colleges ? Can I at least? Because I think it would give value to my application !
In the UCAS application you do not rank your choices in order of preference. It treats all of your choices as equal. The universities that you want to apply to will not know which universities that you have also applied to.

Last thing, it may sound stupid but it isn't that clear to me. Would i have better chances to get in Lse if I pit it as my first choice than if I put it as second choice after oxford ppe ?
As I said your choices are not ranked in preference and the LSE will not know if you have applied to Oxford or if you would personally place them above Oxford in the event you received an offer from both universities.

Ok thanks a lot ! I was also wondering which teachers I was supposed to ask for my predicted grades. Those of this year who have been mixing with me for an entire year or those of next year. Taking into account that I apply to oxford, I'll have to send all the stuff before the 15th of october so this means that teachers of next year will barely know me if I ask them about the predicted grades !
No idea about the anticipated baccalaureat ?
You would ask the teachers who are teaching you next year. They will know your grades from this year and will be able to talk to your previous teacher which will allow them to issue you with a predicted grade for the subject they are teaching you.

It is best to ask the admission offices of the universities you want to apply to about the anticipated baccalaureate. I doubt most people on this forum will know much about what that is, I certainly don't.

I was also wondering whether it is a problem or not for me to apply to ppe at oxford and philo&econ at lse and the others. Do you think it could affect the coherence of my PS ? I mean, it may sound weird for lse if I began speaking about my interest for politics don't you think ?
If you can incorporate important aspects of each course and spend enough time on writing the personal statement you should be able to avoid incoherence. You will have to consider how admissions people will react at the LSE to a paragraph dedicated to politics when there is no politics in the degree. Likewise if you do not mention politics then admissions people at Oxford will feel that you are not dedicated to an important aspect of the course and may look unfavorably on your application.
Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot chr1stopher11, and yes, I meant "attention". As to the anticipated baccalaureat, it'll count for the "real" one (no mock exams) !
Thanks again, you clarified almost all points !

Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
"
In the UCAS application you do not rank your choices in order of preference. It treats all of your choices as equal. The universities that you want to apply to will not know which universities that you have also applied to."
Actually, I meant rankings in my own school, Oxford asks to send them as well as my marks during the year and references from all teachers, I was wondering whether I should send all that stuff to lse too ?
chr1stopher11
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Charliebartoc)
Thanks a lot chr1stopher11, and yes, I meant "attention". As to the anticipated baccalaureat, it'll count for the "real" one (no mock exams) !
Thanks again, you clarified almost all points !
You're welcome! If it counts then you would be asked to include your marks in your application. They would also probably ask for proof of your marks and so you would have to send them photocopies of your certificates. Ask the admissions offices of the universities you want to apply to for clarification on what exactly you need to send them.

Actually, I meant rankings in my own school, Oxford asks to send them as well as my marks during the year and references from all teachers, I was wondering whether I should send all that stuff to lse too ?
I'm not sure. You should ask the LSE and the other universities you want to apply to. Oxford often ask for more information than most universities to aid them in making offers, so what may be required by Oxford may not be required by the LSE.

You have to send all of your university choices your personal statement, main application form with personal details and grades as well as references. This is all included in your UCAS application. For foreign qualifications I would think they would require you to provide proof in the form of certificates. If you are not an EU citizen they may require visa information.
Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
Allright thanks a lot, let's hope my application is gonna be successful now !

Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
Hi there,
I already sent my application to oxford, lse etc everything went fine but I'm a bit worried since I've just received Oxford email about TSA and it is said that deadline for SEPARATE registration was on 15th of October and I'm not registered...
Is there anyway I could register and take the test ?
Charliebartoc
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi again,
I finally was able to take the test (in Oxford) but was unfortunately not invited for an interview probably due to a bad performance at TSA.
But i'm still in the race for the other ones.
I was told I got an conditionnal offer from Durham (16/20 at the baccalaureat, not really hard in my opinion )
But here is the purpose of my post,
I've just received an e-mail from ucl undergraduate admissions office, telling me I should supply them with 2 essays of 500-600 words each.
My questions are the following:
-Have some of you already been asked to do sthg similar ?
-Do they expect a really high level of reflexion for 500 words is pretty short. In France, for example, the last essay I wrote at school was on a text 4 times smaller as the two texts given and I wrote 2300 words approximately...
-Is this a good or a bad news ? I mean, they basically told me "you have struck us as a promising applicant for undergraduate" but do they really think so, are these essays not a way of ensuring I can write in English somehow? And therefore will the give me an answer about my application soon after I submitted my essays (7th of January)?
Thank you in advance for helping me !
P-S: I am apologizing for the, I hope not too plentiful, mistakes but I am currently in Germany and It is a bit hard for me to switch between the two languages...
salmakab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello, I am currently studying in a french school in Morocco so I'll take the french baccalaureat exam in june 2014( branch STMG: science of technology and management). I am applying for business courses through UCAS. Can someone help me for the "education" section ? I've added my school but when I wnt to ask for qualification, I need to fill the "modules". What ar they ? What should I do ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (525)
33.78%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (642)
41.31%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (315)
20.27%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.63%

Watched Threads