The Student Room Group

I'm sick and tired of looking for ****ing jobs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by . .

I'm guessing your a medic? Or a potential/hopeful one?

Going to study Medical imaging this September :biggrin:
how about you ?
Reply 61
Original post by Whatever9999
Going to study Medical imaging this September :biggrin:
how about you ?

Depends AAA+ a gap year/year out and reapply. Anything less bradford.
Original post by . .

Yeah I'm hoping I get a bit more luck in August.

In august prepare to have every single day a job seeking day. I mean that literally. wake up early and get on it non stop. In my work around 40% of us are leaving for uni.

Some jobs only advertise the vacancies on there from 8am-11am and they still have around 500 applicants.
Also sign up for as many job alerts as you can. and check your emails [and junk] all day every day.
When you give an experience in an application make sure it always links back to the job at hand, but be original. Also from my [very, very little] experience in interviews the employer loves it when i explain how independent i am and how i can really push myself and improve but still be a team player, like explain how you've helped someone who was struggling with a particular concept and then they've managed to grasp it and do really well - drop in the classic 'i really benefited from this as i learnt communication skills and even developed a better understanding in the subject.

When they ask for a weakness you should always struggle to find one... but then counteract it, like 'i'm a perfectionist, and sometimes spend too much time on little details; however i believe a job worth doing is worth doing right and i dedicate myself to every task at hand'

I also always turn up with records of attendance (as i'm still a student) they love the 100%s as they are paying for you to be there 100%. I could go on haha

You will get a job! :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
Yep, I'm working for them :yep:. And I can definitely tell you from first-hand experience that their organisational skills are really not the best, but they've given me a job now so I'm not gonna complain. Having the army in as backup is definitely a reassurance though.

The army as "back up". You make it sound like G4S are our first line of defence.

God help us all if that's the case :tongue:
Reply 64
Original post by RachelSophia
In august prepare to have every single day a job seeking day. I mean that literally. wake up early and get on it non stop. In my work around 40% of us are leaving for uni.

Some jobs only advertise the vacancies on there from 8am-11am and they still have around 500 applicants.
Also sign up for as many job alerts as you can. and check your emails [and junk] all day every day.
When you give an experience in an application make sure it always links back to the job at hand, but be original. Also from my [very, very little] experience in interviews the employer loves it when i explain how independent i am and how i can really push myself and improve but still be a team player, like explain how you've helped someone who was struggling with a particular concept and then they've managed to grasp it and do really well - drop in the classic 'i really benefited from this as i learnt communication skills and even developed a better understanding in the subject.

When they ask for a weakness you should always struggle to find one... but then counteract it, like 'i'm a perfectionist, and sometimes spend too much time on little details; however i believe a job worth doing is worth doing right and i dedicate myself to every task at hand'

I also always turn up with records of attendance (as i'm still a student) they love the 100%s as they are paying for you to be there 100%. I could go on haha

You will get a job! :biggrin::biggrin:

I have been looking literally everyday but Sunday (Hey even God rested on Sunday).
Recruitment Agencies are your friend. I quit my last job about 4 months ago and was unemployed for about 4 hours, I went into 3 different agencies and they each offered me a job. I plumbed for one with the RAC in the end.

I don't have a degree nor much experience in the job I'm doing.
Reply 66
Original post by Norfolkadam
Recruitment Agencies are your friend. I quit my last job about 4 months ago and was unemployed for about 4 hours, I went into 3 different agencies and they each offered me a job. I plumbed for one with the RAC in the end.

I don't have a degree nor much experience in the job I'm doing.

What are these agencies? Where can I find out more about them?
Original post by . .
I have been looking literally everyday but Sunday (Hey even God rested on Sunday).

Start on Sundays too! haha
:biggrin:
Argh I feel your pain, in the past I've been quite lucky with jobs, but I'm home from uni for the summer and no one seems to want to know any more, probably because I felt like I had to say in all my applications that I'm only available until mid-september. But now that's only two months away I feel like it's even less likely that anyone will be bothered to employ me. I ended up doing a bit of cleaning for my uncle and now have £25 to last me until the beginning of August. I can hardly afford to go out with my friends, aarrrrghghghghghhh!!!
Original post by . .
What are these agencies? Where can I find out more about them?

They're everywhere. A lot of them are local chains so in Bristol you've got Red, Proactive People, Pamela Neave, Interaction, Lucy Bristow and GI Group. There're also national chains like Reed, Adecco, Office Angels and Hays.

In most towns their offices are all in once place so just google "recruitment agencies in *your town*" and go down there with a CV wearing a shirt and ask what they've got going. If none of them have anything at that time don't let them fob you off with "we'll keep you on file" but keep going in, perhaps once or twice a week, and asking. Don't email them or apply for jobs on their website, you might as well throw your CV out of your window since they so rarely reply unless you go in person.
Reply 70
stay in education, then you don't have to work :smile:
We've also got all the school leavers, and even Years 12 and 11 too. It's annoyed me that 16 and 17 year olds are getting employed and 19 year olds/uni students stand no chance.
Reply 72
Original post by Pride
that's BS.

That is the flipping Olympics! that job won't last for much time. And what exactly is that job? not many school leavers would be qualified for a job paying £8.30 an hour...

It is difficult for school leavers to get jobs, even here in London. It's greatly about luck.

Original post by hannah60000
What the hell I live in London and Olympic jobs were hard to come by even the volunteering ones too much competition for them..........

My role is lasting for the full Olympics, started last week and it's 5 days a week until the 10th of September, I'm a prep chef so didn't need any experience as they said I would be taught everything on the site.
I mean I guess I got it because of my college as they always search for opportunities and stuff but it wasn't just me who got it there were quite a few of us at my college who got the jobs.
Keepy trying! I was in your position literally 2 weeks ago. I applied to every supermarket/retail store you could think of. I've just finished my A-levels and I'm taking a gap year before reapplying to university next year. I wanted to get a full-time job, work 6 months then travel the rest whilst having a little spare for university, but finding a job was impossible! Eventually I got a full-time job at H&M and I start on the 1st of August which means I'll be able to have the gap year I want and look forward to uni the next year :smile:

I do, however, feel really bad because I know I'll be quitting within 6 months of starting and they obviously want me there long-term not as a stepping stone. But hey! What can I do!? I lied and said I wasn't considering university so hopefully they won't hate me too much :P
Reply 74
Original post by Norfolkadam
They're everywhere. A lot of them are local chains so in Bristol you've got Red, Proactive People, Pamela Neave, Interaction, Lucy Bristow and GI Group. There're also national chains like Reed, Adecco, Office Angels and Hays.

In most towns their offices are all in once place so just google "recruitment agencies in *your town*" and go down there with a CV wearing a shirt and ask what they've got going. If none of them have anything at that time don't let them fob you off with "we'll keep you on file" but keep going in, perhaps once or twice a week, and asking. Don't email them or apply for jobs on their website, you might as well throw your CV out of your window since they so rarely reply unless you go in person.

I've heard of reed. I always thought it was just an online thing I've been applying for jobs via it. Never knew they actually have stores will look for it now. Thanks.
Young students don't get employed for a good reason.

1. No experience
2. You'll likely leave
3. There is far more experienced people looking for work
4. Too cocky
5. Unreliable
6. Still wet behind the ears

the list goes on..

Won't be any better when you leave uni either.
Reply 76
You could get training in a job that doesn't require a degree and most of the time gives you a job out of it, I know I obviously don't fully understand the situation of someone looking for a job but there is always the police, you could become an air hostess? :colone: the army? there are hundreds of different army jobs on their website and you might even find something you enjoy! It doesn't have to involve armed combat obviously!!
I know it's easy to get disheartened after being unemployed for what begins to feel like forever. If you're truly willing to work regardless of the job then try registering with industrial/ warehouse job agencies. It's hard work but there are always vacancies and at the end of the day I've always found it easier to get another job when I'm already in one.

There are plenty of agencies around, just google them. In my experience Prime Time in the northwest has been very good.

Chin up!
Reply 78
Original post by Cll_ws
Have you tried temp agencies? I signed up with one last week and was offered a job within a day. Obviously it was only temporary, 5 days, but it's something! Hopefully they'll contact me with a lot more because like you i'm really struggling to find anything else.

Hey which agency did you use?
Reply 79
Try getting a job as a carer. I can't say it's the most glamorous job in the world but most of the companies (whether it's community or private homes) that I know are always doing some recruiting. I went in for volunteer work and got a job offer for the summer as they said I wouldn't be able to do the "good stuff" without being employed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending