Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Help!! OK I am in yr 11 and my school wants me to decide my provisional a-levels. I have already decided to do Maths, Economics and french - and I was going to do Chemistry. But then I found out about Psychology but I do not really know enough about it. Please will anyone who is doing it at the moment pleaasssseeee contact me and let me know what it is like to do as an a-level subject?!?
    Thanks!!!!

abi xx

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is one of the easiest A-levels ever, well for me anyways. All you need is to be able to remember facts and be able to write effective essays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)
    Psychology is one of the easiest A-levels ever, well for me anyways. All you need is to be able to remember facts and be able to write effective essays.
    Psychology is my hardest A-Level. Don't take it unless you have an excellent memory.

ReputationRep:
    kewl but what do they ask for the exam questions?? how long is it??

abi xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malteaser_69)
    kewl but what do they ask for the exam questions?? how long is it??

abi xx
    well for AQA there is no coursework at AS so you have a 3 hour exam in June, unless you do a module in Jan.

There are 6 different topics, so youi half an hour for each essay.

For A-Level you have couresework, and you can choose which are of Psychology you want to do it one, then you have PYA4 which is a massive module. You learn 9 topics, but only 3 come up in the exam, again you have half an hour for each one, but the marks for AO1 and AO2 are equal at A-Level, so it's a bit better.

Then you have to synopitic unit

ReputationRep:
    http://www.a-levelpsychology.co.uk/aqab.asp

here is a site with the syllabuses for AS and A2 (for AQA)

ReputationRep:
    great thanks!! also what is a synoptic?! sorry this is all very new!

abi xx

ReputationRep:
    thanks 4 the website btw!!! going to check it out now...xx

ReputationRep:
    great thanks!! also what is a synoptic?! sorry this is all very new!

abi xx
    it's the last module, combines all the skills you've learnt over the two years

ReputationRep:
    thanks 4 the website btw!!! going to check it out now...xx
    oh yeah.... just to let you know - that takes you to the AQA b syllabus, there's also AQA a, which is the one I'm doing - it's all on the website though

ReputationRep:
    hi

some parts of psychology are hard, other parts are more simple, but i recomend the subject to anyone, as i have really enjoyed it, and have found it useful.

good luck deciding your subjects

x x x

ReputationRep:
    Help!! OK I am in yr 11 and my school wants me to decide my provisional a-levels. I have already decided to do Maths, Economics and french - and I was going to do Chemistry. But then I found out about Psychology but I do not really know enough about it. Please will anyone who is doing it at the moment pleaasssseeee contact me and let me know what it is like to do as an a-level subject?!?
    Thanks!!!!

abi xx
    That's the same subject combination I chose at AS except I did English instead of Maths.
    Psychology is the easiest alevel out of the 3 I'm studying at the moment and also the one I spend the least time having to revise for. I think it's becoming quite a popular subject and not too difficult to achieve an A/B grade in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *boo*)
    That's the same subject combination I chose at AS except I did English instead of Maths.
    Psychology is the easiest alevel out of the 3 I'm studying at the moment and also the one I spend the least time having to revise for. I think it's becoming quite a popular subject and not too difficult to achieve an A/B grade in.
    what exam board do you do?

ReputationRep:
    Psychology is great! Take it! I was going to take chemistry instead but it clashed with history so I chose Psychology instead and I'm so glad that I did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    what exam board do you do?
    AQA Spec B
    The majority of my AS class got A/B last year

ReputationRep:
    chemistry is waaaay better, and a hell of a lot more respected.... no offence to anyone here, but i can't believe you're even comparing them :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    do you get to choose what syllabus you choose or topics?? or does it depend on the school? also, does it need to have particular subjects which would help doing psychology for alevel??

abi xx

ReputationRep:
    ALSOOO! sorry! in the exam is it just one essay question or is it a number of questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    chemistry is waaaay better, and a hell of a lot more respected.... no offence to anyone here, but i can't believe you're even comparing them :rolleyes:
    Not everyone chooses subjects based on how respectable they are. Some people choose to study the ones that they enjoy

ReputationRep:
    do you get to choose what syllabus you choose or topics?? or does it depend on the school? also, does it need to have particular subjects which would help doing psychology for alevel??

abi xx
    I think it depends on the school, we didn't get to choose, so we're doing AQA spec A.

It's really interesting in most parts, but I find research methods etc quite boring. I'd definitely recommend it, but I had to do loads of revision coz I have an awful memory I think it helps with a lot of other subjects where the is a focus on analysis and evaluation, as you have to construct two-way arguments for AO2. It also helps with all essay-writing subjects I think

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.