Skoda Octavia with 275k on the lock? To buy or not to buy? Watch

This discussion is closed.
jamesthehustler
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you should as you'll only put another what 3k miles on it then is off to the cutting yard for it as the engine will be close to finished
TheMcSame
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
04? 275k on the clock? That asking price?

I'd walk away, I doubt the seller will give you a fair price. At the milage and that age, at best it's worth £200? If that. Taxi or not, that sort of mileage on a car shouldn't grab anything close to £1k. After 200k that's when minor repairs generally start becoming a very big hassle. No doubt you'll be pouring money into new parts.

That being said, I'd go for it if you're willing to do your own repairs (which means you wont be flushing money away on labour), just make sure to get the price down a lot, otherwise, walk away.
CAElite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
300k miles is easily achievable on an old PD unit. IF (the big IF) the right maintenance has been done. When you get into 200k+ terratory EVERYTHING becomes wear and tear including some expensive stuff, ill list some for an example (by no means an extensive list)

1. Cam belts, PD units where around every 50k miles if I remember right, make sure they have proof this has been done recently, not doing so can cause catastrophic engine failure. £400 job
2. Turbo, this shouldnt be a normal wear and tier item, but its a weak point on old VAG units especially on the bigger ouput engines (kkk turbos on the PD130 UGH). It can last anywhere between 100-200k on the original, look out for literal siren noises and excess smoke if it hasnt been replaced recently £600 job
3. Headgasket these like to go every 150k or so, sometimes they hold on for much longer £250
4. Clutch, another wildcar, 80-150k is the normal life but if its been driven like a saint you can get the original to 200k make sure its been replaced £400
5. Suspension/running gear. Errr bushes, CVT joins, steering racks, EVERYTHING is going to be shagged by that mileage, expect the car to rattle, squeek and drive like ****.

IF you know how to check for **** like this, offer him £500. Seriously you can get better for a grand. I helped someone get a 1.9tdi fabia for the same price and that was on 100k.

Also to the poster who mentioned the million VAG ~£100-300 faults. Thats NEW vag (post Euro4-ish) this is OLD VAG the OP is looking at, back when they where good.
KCLeblanc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TheMcSame)
04? 275k on the clock? That asking price?

Opening post is from 2012!!!!
GiantKiwi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Holy necropost, Batman. No, seriously. This post is 3 and a half years old.
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Taxi driver)
I have a Skoda superb 1.9 tdi with 341,438 on the clock and dosnt miss a beat it's a 2009 taxi and well taking care of, iv been reading throu the form here and does anyone really have a clue what there talking about look afster your Skoda and you more or less get in excess 500 miles out of it.
Well you weren't looking very hard, or you would have noticed this thread is from 3 years ago...
Jack murry
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If it's a x taxi these cars go through 2 test a year so they must be well liked after and the test are quite strict
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jack murry)
If it's a x taxi these cars go through 2 test a year so they must be well liked after and the test are quite strict
This is a 2012 thread so there will be even more miles on the clock by now.

Or it's been scrapped... Like this thread.

Now closed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads