The Student Room Group

More British soldiers for London Olympics than in Afghanistan.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Making good use of our soldiers
Was talking to someone I know who is an officer in the army
She said that its not the fact they are using the army it's more the fact that it is so lae in the day.....the army would be fine if they had planned it yrs ago!
O and apparently it's the young newly trained people who ideally should e on field training

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by TheHansa
Good good. British soliders belong in british defending the british olympics.

*London Olympics
Reply 23
Original post by Azaro
yawn. do they really believe this will prevent certain individuals from a certain religion traveling to london with a bimb in their rucksack?

I would be a bit more worried if they had a bomb instead :wink:
Original post by HomoSapiensSap
There are around 9,000 British soldiers currently in Afghanistan. We have recently heard that there will now be around 17,500 soldiers stationed in London (due to the G4S shambles) - and this figure was set to rise to more than 20,000 as Lord Coe mentioned reserves and was still deliberating whether 17,500 is still enough.

Does anybody else find it funny (if not strange) that we now have more troops for the Olympics than there are in Afghanistan (where we're currently at war)?

They shouldn't be in Afghanistan!
Reply 25
Original post by superpig22
Was talking to someone I know who is an officer in the army
She said that its not the fact they are using the army it's more the fact that it is so lae in the day.....the army would be fine if they had planned it yrs ago!
O and apparently it's the young newly trained people who ideally should e on field training

Then your friend was giving you duff info, perhaps deliberately, perhaps because she didn't know better.
There is always a contingency plan. It's what the MoD runs on. And no, the bigger concern/aggrievance is that they're using members of the Armed Forces who've either just returned from Afghanistan and should be on R&R, servicemen who are about to go to Afghanistan and should be on work up or people who've just been given their redundancy notices and won't be best motivated to give up their free time for nothing.
Reply 26
Good, I'd rather they were here then being blown up for no good reason over there.
It does make sense I guess.

I feel a bit like I'm in a war zone though! They're installing missiles a few minutes away from me and I see soldiers and G4S people walking around every time I go out. Feels so strange.
Nothing wrong with that.
Original post by Drewski
Then your friend was giving you duff info, perhaps deliberately, perhaps because she didn't know better.
There is always a contingency plan. It's what the MoD runs on. And no, the bigger concern/aggrievance is that they're using members of the Armed Forces who've either just returned from Afghanistan and should be on R&R, servicemen who are about to go to Afghanistan and should be on work up or people who've just been given their redundancy notices and won't be best motivated to give up their free time for nothing.

Well her section is something to do with hr and put of the blue was asked to name however many it was of a certain rank (low down, new.y trained) within a few days!

It's a lot easier and cheaper to have soldiers performing duties in the UK than it is in Afghanistan.
Reply 31
Good. I don't even know what our soldiers are doing in Afghanistan.

They'll do a better job at actually protecting the country and citizens by being at London.
Is anyone else not disgusted that we have to have all these soldiers to protect us from Muslims in Britain ?
Original post by Azaro
yawn. do they really believe this will prevent certain individuals from a certain religion traveling to london with a bimb in their rucksack?

Learn to spell before making a stupid post.
I don't really see what the problem is. For once, we have our troops majoritively protecting our own citizens on our own land, ensuring our safety as opposed to doing god knows what in a foreign country with no visible benefit to our national security.
Reply 35
Original post by Dhaal_Chawal
Learn to spell before making a stupid post.

bomb:wink:
Original post by Boom.Squish
It does make sense I guess.

I feel a bit like I'm in a war zone though! They're installing missiles a few minutes away from me and I see soldiers and G4S people walking around every time I go out. Feels so strange.

Our trouble is that we're spoiled with what a safe, sheltered society we have here. There are a lot of countries around the world where the current militarised situation in London would be regarded as an eerily quiet reduction in hostilities.

Original post by Bronze Thistle
Is anyone else not disgusted that we have to have all these soldiers to protect us from Muslims in Britain ?

Yes. I'm not disgusted because 1) it is normal practice for an event of this size and 2) they're not protecting us from Muslims, they're protecting us from terrorists. There's a difference.
you do know muslims are not the only terrorists! you made a really broad statement that is not really nice.

A terrorist can be any one from any faith (:
Reply 38
This is excellent news anyway troops are being brought it because the contractors have failed to fulfill their obligations. Police and army personnel will do a much better job of protecting these events than teenagers given a crash course in looking into people's bags and patting them down.
Original post by original_username
There's a far greater threat to our country's security in our country than in Afghan.

The number of troops out there should be zero anyway.

This. It shouldn't be surprising really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending