Turn on thread page Beta

Applications 2005 - Fees Increase/Gap year or not gap year...etc watch

ReputationRep:
    Right here is my dilemma - university fees will go up if i take gap year. If i do a gap year obviously i will have to pay a higher fee, but at the same time i know that less people will go into universities when the fees go up, so i have a bigger chance to get an offer from my choice of universities. However, i personally dont really wanna do a gap year, as it is to be fair, a year wasted (in my opinion, i know you can have a rest and do things you want to and experience abit of real world..etc but i dont find that necessary) So what do you think i should do?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whay you're even considering taking a Gap year. Taking one will be like throwing £6,000 away. And that's a hell of a lot of money. Especially since you don't even WANT a gap year. I really want one but because of the top up fees i'm not going to. I'll just go away in the summer instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Right here is my dilemma - university fees will go up if i take gap year. If i do a gap year obviously i will have to pay a higher fee, but at the same time i know that less people will go into universities when the fees go up, so i have a bigger chance to get an offer from my choice of universities. However, i personally dont really wanna do a gap year, as it is to be fair, a year wasted (in my opinion, i know you can have a rest and do things you want to and experience abit of real world..etc but i dont find that necessary) So what do you think i should do?
    In all honesty, if you can't make it into a good uni with the increased competition coming next year, you really shouldn't be trying for them the year after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    In all honesty, if you can't make it into a good uni with the increased competition coming next year, you really shouldn't be trying for them the year after.
    lol sure i can get into a good university, but it would be easier to get into LSE lets say, after the top-up fees than next year. Getting into LSE rather than somewhere else like manchester would be a good investment for the future, so the top-up fee isnt really a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    Why not apply for 2005 entry and if you don't get into the university you really want to go to then take a gap year and apply again?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really want to take a gap year.

Should I take a gap year?

Why do people ask stupid questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    I don't really want to take a gap year.

Should I take a gap year?

Why do people ask stupid questions?
    how is that a stupid question - i mean ill enjoy a gap year but what i meant that i dont really want to take a gap = i am not desperate to enjoy life at this stage because after a gap year it might take some time for me to get into working mood again?

If i take a gap year, again--> i will get a better chance at getting into their universities of choice, so i think it is worth thinking about.. and yea corey, why do people ask stupid questions? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    OH MY GOD! How stupid can some people be? Why would you think that top up fees are going to put people off going to university? People don't think about the masses of debt they are going to be in when they come out of university with their degree, they can't see past the rose coloured blur of getting drunk and having a great time, not to mention the novelty of going to university itself. And more people are likely to think "cor...I don't mind paying 3 grand a year, but I bet other people will so I'll apply to all these good unis..." but everyone else is thinking the same damn thing....
    It's what you were thinking, wasn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherub_rock)
    OH MY GOD! How stupid can some people be? Why would you think that top up fees are going to put people off going to university? People don't think about the masses of debt they are going to be in when they come out of university with their degree, they can't see past the rose coloured blur of getting drunk and having a great time, not to mention the novelty of going to university itself. And more people are likely to think "cor...I don't mind paying 3 grand a year, but I bet other people will so I'll apply to all these good unis..." but everyone else is thinking the same damn thing....
    It's what you were thinking, wasn't it?
    yea ofcourse we all know this psychological thing, i know that many people are not doing gap year because of the top up fee! and you cannot deny the fact that there will be a great increase of applicants before the topup fee.

ReputationRep:
    how is that a stupid question - i mean ill enjoy a gap year but what i meant that i dont really want to take a gap = i am not desperate to enjoy life at this stage because after a gap year it might take some time for me to get into working mood again?

If i take a gap year, again--> i will get a better chance at getting into their universities of choice, so i think it is worth thinking about.. and yea corey, why do people ask stupid questions? :rolleyes:
    So, you considering an option that you don't want to do? *claps*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    So, you considering an option that you don't want to do? *claps*
    LOL i said it is an option that i may be interested - the attractive feature of applying when the topupfee is applied is that there will hopefully be less competition. But i said that i was not desperate to do a gap year - how does that make me not want to do this option? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Look, all he's said is that he's considering applying the year after top up fees to a really good university. He doesn't like the technical idea of a gap year but is willing to taking if it increases his chances of geting into an amazing university like oxbridge or imperial or lse.

And as for the masses of debt - if people really want an education that badly, debt won't deter them. In other parts of the world people pay much more to go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysticmin)
    Look, all he's said is that he's considering applying the year after top up fees to a really good university. He doesn't like the technical idea of a gap year but is willing to taking if it increases his chances of geting into an amazing university like oxbridge or imperial or lse.
    or ucl ofcourse

ReputationRep:
    or ucl ofcourse
    ok ok..what do you want? Just kidding...

Getting into LSE rather than somewhere else like manchester would be a good investment for the future, so the top-up fee isnt really a big deal.

101 ways to win friends and influence people who love Manchester enough to pick it as thier first choice!!!

ReputationRep:
    Heh heh... he's got my vote...

(Original post by Icarus)
    Heh heh... he's got my vote...
    Don't worry I also love it enough to ignore LSE fanboys and work my ass of to get the nice AAB-ABB that they seem to want from EVERYONE this year!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Don't worry I also love it enough to ignore LSE fanboys and work my ass of to get the nice AAB-ABB that they seem to want from EVERYONE this year!!!
    I was asked AAB... or was it ABB? Can't remember, either way I got in

(Original post by Icarus)
    I was asked AAB... or was it ABB? Can't remember, either way I got in
    They cant seem to decide if they want a A in maths ( :eek: ) or a B in maths (slighlty less :eek: ) from me...think I gonna have a hard time explaing an E to them!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    They cant seem to decide if they want a A in maths ( :eek: ) or a B in maths (slighlty less :eek: ) from me...think I gonna have a hard time explaing an E to them!!!
    heh, don't worry too much, the early modules should be easy point grabbers. That's what I thought anyway...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.