Turn on thread page Beta

A2 biology coursework-statistical test watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I would like to know whether the Mann-Whitney statistical test is suitable for analysing disc diffusion tests or not???
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    the experiment is about Antibiotic disc diffusion tests(kirby-Bauer method)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't no the 'Mann Whitney U Test' could be used be use din biology? Mind u i guess it is just a stats test so why not??
    I just thought Standard Deviation and Chi Squared Tests were used?

ReputationRep:
    No, you come across t-tests, F-tests and the lot in biology.

ReputationRep:
    The chi squared test is used for ecological statistical tests and not microbiology ones.!!
    certain about that test
    But the t-test required more sample members than i could provide, so in an A level capacity i was left with the spearman rank correlation or Man-whitney u test
    still can't make my mind up though..

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, my bad. I was getting biology stuff mixed up with human biology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    The chi squared test is used for ecological statistical tests and not microbiology ones.!!
    certain about that test
    But the t-test required more sample members than i could provide, so in an A level capacity i was left with the spearman rank correlation or Man-whitney u test
    still can't make my mind up though..
    Do both of them. Spearmans rank takes about 2 minutes to do so its not a lot more effort, and you'll get more marks.

ReputationRep:
    hey u lot kno wot stats test i could use for investigating the factors affecting transpiration?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by med1)
    hey u lot kno wot stats test i could use for investigating the factors affecting transpiration?
    if the results of the exp show (or shud show) a normal distribution curve, then u use a t-test, if the results are skewed, then a mann-whitney test

ReputationRep:
    If your result are more than 15, use a t-test if less then use the man whitney test.

i used the man whitney in my psychology coursework

ReputationRep:
    Great thanks to all of you, but after extensive research i came to some results i'd like to share with you for future research.
    The Mann-Whitney U test proved to be the most appropriate as it makes use of two sets of samples and can be used to spot an association between the two samples. The sample size required is smaller than the rest, normally between 5-10

The t distribution is suitable for finding confidence limits and won't really show a strong association between variables and genreally requires a large sample size

The spearman correlation method can't be used for two samples, but only for two variables and the existance of a linear relationship between the two

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.