The Student Room Group

Mini-roundabout situation

I was at a mini-roundabout recently and I was at the front of the line, but there was a car on my right and so I gave way to it. However, there was a car on their right and they gave way to it. I think we were all a bit puzzled for a minute so eventually the green dot moved on and then the blue dot and then me, the red dot. It left me wondering, was this the right thing to do? Bearing in mind, I wasn't really to the 'right' of the green dot. I've attached a drawing of the roundabout.

abc.png
this often happens to me at roundabouts, we all end up waiting for each other. I wait but if nobody is going, I just go. Otherwise we'd all be standing there:rolleyes:
Reply 2
In that roundabout you've drawn since there's three exits, i'd say red and green should go together as there's no chance they'll come into one anothers paths, whichever exits they're taking.
Reply 3
Original post by james1211
In that roundabout you've drawn since there's three exits, i'd say red and green should go together as there's no chance they'll come into one anothers paths, whichever exits they're taking.

Unfortunately not true. I actually had my indicator on to go right, thus crossing the path of the green dot. I contemplated going straight ahead but that would've added a bit on to my journey haha :frown:
Reply 4
Green, if not turning left, will be going straight over which means you as red can go straight over at the same time, or if turning right, still go at the same time just a few secs behind.

In reality you all have right of way and you all give way to each other. One just needs to decide to go and then the roundabout flows as normal.
Reply 5
If this situation arises you're just advised to slowly advance and negotiate the roundabout as per the other drivers reactions.
Reply 6
Original post by SMC879
Unfortunately not true. I actually had my indicator on to go right, thus crossing the path of the green dot. I contemplated going straight ahead but that would've added a bit on to my journey haha :frown:

Yeah but upon seeing you set off they should set off, which would mean theyre out of your way when you make the turn to the right.
Reply 7
Original post by SMC879
I was at a mini-roundabout recently and I was at the front of the line, but there was a car on my right and so I gave way to it. ......It left me wondering, was this the right thing to do?
The right thing to do is gain eye contact and gesture as to who is to go first.
Nobody has priority because nobody is on or entering the roundabout.
it is irrelevant which approach road they are on in relation to you, but you have to be careful somebody on your 'right' does not assume priority.
Reply 8
Sometimes I wait for others to go then I'll go so I don't cause any accidents, other times if I see that the other two are waiting and giving way then I'll just go.
give way to ur right, since the person on the right gave way to their right, you are okay to go :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by SMC879
eventually the green dot moved on and then the blue dot and then me, the red dot. It left me wondering, was this the right thing to do?
It was technically the safest option in theory, but very hesitant. The clue there is in your word "eventually".

You should have gone as soon as the green dot started to move onto the roundabout as they would block any danger from the blue dot. Remember that you're all travelling clockwise, so two can enter the roundabout at the same time from opposite directions and travel around together on opposite sides of the circle. Providing you both keep to your respective sides of the circle, that's perfectly safe and reasonable. I frequently take advantage of a "blocking" car's movement so I can be away long before the car on the right knows what day it is.
I hate mini-roundabout's. I hated them when I was learning to drive, and I hate them now... Thing is, everyone knows the rules, but it's like it goes out the window and everyone just goes for it when at a mini-roundabout.

I wish the Government would get rid of them.
Reply 12
Original post by Beatlemania
I wish the Government would get rid of them.
Once upon a time, there were none at all. There were crossroads where you could spend half an hour waiting to emerge right. One side clear, other side busy. Now other side clear.. now this side busy... so mini-roundabouts were invented (and approved by government!) so you only have to give way to one direction.

They're designed to keep traffic flowing and are generally installed at junctions where there's been previous congestion. They're hardly rocket science. It's only people who don't understand what to do that cause the problems and stand-offs.
I understand what they are for, it's just that I always think most drivers just go for it anyway regardless. I've been on holiday a couple of times to America and they haven't got any, seems to work fine, but drivers over there seem to be different than in our Country.
I'd have thought red and green would go at the same time? Unless I'm missing something here ...
Original post by james1211

Remember, mini-roundabouts are legally treated the same as normal roundabouts, and while it is advised against doing so in the highway code, there is nothing legally stopping you from doing a u-turn at a mini-roundabout. As such, you should not assume a car is going to leave after making a right turn if signalling right, and so if red or green proceeded slower than the other, they each have a chance of hitting the other.

In the given situation, then I would say that if no other car is about to go, move off but carefully, so you can stop if the another vehicle also moves off and their is a chance you could hit each other.

Quick Reply

Latest