Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    on the open day there is a formal dinner.. what should girls wear? floor length skirt? black? shirt? dress? high heels? not high heels? suit? im confused .. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    on the open day there is a formal dinner.. what should girls wear? floor length skirt? black? shirt? dress? high heels? not high heels? suit? im confused .. :confused:
    Is there a dress code on the invitation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Is there a dress code on the invitation?
    it says (helpfully) you will be expected to dress appropriately for this formal dinner.....

ReputationRep:
    it says (helpfully) you will be expected to dress appropriately for this formal dinner.....
    How convenient. Well, I wouldn't go for an all out ballgown. Either a nice skirt/trousers and dressy top, or a tailored suit - I'd go for the first option myself. Shoes are up to you - if you're comfortable in heels, wear them, if not, pretty, flat shoes will be fine. If you do wear a skirt, it shouldn't be too short, but don't worry about having it down to your ankles either.

ReputationRep:

which college is it for?

and id go with a nice skirt and top...and heals if you can convincingly (sp?) walk in them.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with the above. I'm at Grey and to formals the majority of girls wear a smart skirt and dressy top I would say though there is no problem with smart trousers either. Don't worry too much about it, they're be a range.

ReputationRep:
    Is it a formal dinner at all colleges? Coz i dunno whether its formal or not at Mildert :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenkennykenken)
    Is it a formal dinner at all colleges? Coz i dunno whether its formal or not at Mildert :confused:
    THERE WASN'T AT MILDERT LAST YEAR - WE SCOFFED LASAGNE!

ReputationRep:
    im gonna go post in the mildert message board in a moment, some of the students there should know whether its formal or not for the open day

ReputationRep:
    I assume this is the one on the 22/23 - 23/24 March open day? I wanna go to this but at Collingwood college - anyone know if this is formal? Doesn't say anything about that on the letter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retrac)
    I assume this is the one on the 22/23 - 23/24 March open day? I wanna go to this but at Collingwood college - anyone know if this is formal? Doesn't say anything about that on the letter!
    I dont think its a formal unless it says so on the open day invitation letter. All i know so far is that St Chad's is a formal i think

ReputationRep:
    I'm going in March to St Chad's and have started to worry about the whole formal dress code thing! Oh well, it's a good excuse for a major shopping expedition!
    Anyone else gong to Chad's too?

ReputationRep:
    Can't go wrong with long skirt (black or very dark colour), and a non-fussy blouse. DEFINITELY NOT a dress or ball gown, it is not that kind of dinner! (I've been to durham so trust me!)

ReputationRep:
    which college is that for? im going to grey open day but didnt think it was formal! anyone know if it is?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Can't go wrong with long skirt (black or very dark colour), and a non-fussy blouse. DEFINITELY NOT a dress or ball gown, it is not that kind of dinner! (I've been to durham so trust me!)
    so long skirt as in plain long im-a-greek-statue down to the floor skirt? or ankle length? or shin length? im sure this is some kind of secret dress code initiation test

ReputationRep:
    so long skirt as in plain long im-a-greek-statue down to the floor skirt? or ankle length? or shin length? im sure this is some kind of secret dress code initiation test
    Not at all. Not floor length; that'll look stupid. Whatever length looks nice on you.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you look attractive no one will particularly care what you wear - if youre ugly start worrying

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if there's anything like this at Aidan's? It'd be cool if there was!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    As long as you look attractive no one will particularly care what you wear - if youre ugly start worrying
    hahahaha LOL youre very right there.. what would you have an ugly girl wear then!! a bag over their head! cos i dont htink you can buy formal bags! anyway.. thanks for the advice.. im sure ill be able to throw something together - its hatfield college btw whch ive heard is quite old boys hence the slight worry

ReputationRep:
    I e-mailed some one in the know at Collingwood, and they said that it wasn't formal - just a meal so you can get to know what the experience of having and everyday meal at the college was like. Dunno about any of the other colleges tho.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.