Turn on thread page Beta

The end of the world as we know it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This site does seem pretty pessimistic about the situation, but its basically sayin oil is gonna run out (no-one can really deny that) relatively quickly and there is nothing we have that can effectively replace it and so when oil runs out society as we know it will change forever and world war three will probably happen within the next 20 years as nations fight for the remaining oil.

Have a read: http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

What does everyone else think? If its true it's pretty frightening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albion)
    This site does seem pretty pessimistic about the situation, but its basically sayin oil is gonna run out (no-one can really deny that) relatively quickly and there is nothing we have that can effectively replace it and so when oil runs out society as we know it will change forever and world war three will probably happen within the next 20 years as nations fight for the remaining oil.

Have a read: http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/

What does everyone else think? If its true it's pretty frightening.
    im sure the powers that be have it all under control. if not, mr blair is gona get some very unpleasant letters in the afterlife.

ReputationRep:
    We have about 5 similar threads about how the world would end. Funny.

I don't actually believe that oil can run out completely, we are just scratching the surface of teh Earth's crust, theres a lot of space that we havn't utilised yet. Including teh methane deposits on the ocean floor, that alone is enough to see us through 100 years.

Also a simple claculation tells us that oil cannot have possible come from decaying animals etc millions of years ago. There simply is not enough biomass. So another source might have been the cause, and a book says that chemcal reaction in the mantle would produce those oils. Chemically/theroetically they are sound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    im sure the powers that be have it all under control. if not, mr blair is gona get some very unpleasant letters in the afterlife.
    The point of that site is that it is not under control, and its not going to come under control, oil is going to run out and we rely on it for practically everything and there is no alternative fuel. Renewable sources of energy wouldn't give us a fraction of what we use today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    We have about 5 similar threads about how the world would end. Funny.

I don't actually believe that oil can run out completely, we are just scratching the surface of teh Earth's crust, theres a lot of space that we havn't utilised yet. Including teh methane deposits on the ocean floor, that alone is enough to see us through 100 years.

Also a simple claculation tells us that oil cannot have possible come from decaying animals etc millions of years ago. There simply is not enough biomass. So another source might have been the cause, and a book says that chemcal reaction in the mantle would produce those oils. Chemically/theroetically they are sound.
    told you the powers that be have it covered. (ie 2776)

ReputationRep:
    it doesn't matter! in 20 years we'll all live in giant aluminium sky scrapers and fly in ships running on solar power and teleport around places!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I think I read someone that some previously drained oil sources had refilled, can anyone confirm or deny?
    How can an oil source be refilled? Doesn't it take like millions of years for oil to be formed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gimp)
    it doesn't matter! in 20 years we'll all live in giant aluminium sky scrapers and fly in ships running on solar power and teleport around places!
    yep. they said in the 70s, in twenty years, we will have numerous research colonies on the moon. suckers.

ReputationRep:
    How can an oil source be refilled? Doesn't it take like millions of years for oil to be formed?
    Modern extraction methods are nuch more efficient than older ones. They can extract oil from previously abandoned oil wells. Oil from surrounding strata, too uneconomic touse themselves, will also seep into the abandoned wells.

ReputationRep:
    NO! Read my previous post. Higher up in the educational circles, it is a well known fact that the oil cannot have possibly all come from the decaying biomass. The calculations proves this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    NO! Read my previous post. Higher up in the educational circles, it is a well known fact that the oil cannot have possibly all come from the decaying biomass. The calculations proves this.
    Where are these calculations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Haven't you noticed that technical evolution always seems to take longer than predicted?
    well these days anyway. earlier last centuary a certain IBM executive famously quipped that he suspected there would be a world market for aboooout.... five computers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Where are these calculations?
    I'll try and get it to you from my teacher, he was in the oil industry and know practically everything about oil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I'll try and get it to you from my teacher, he was in the oil industry and know practically everything about oil.
    ?

ReputationRep:
    Well, some people argue that the only reason why technologies don't exist is because the oil companies use their powers and lobbying power to keep them and the people who develop them 'quiet'.

I don't for a second believe it mind you.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.