The Student Room Group
Reply 1
zazy
Has anyone recieved a conditional offer from manchester university for pharmacy, and if so how is this course graded? :confused:
Is it worth studying this course?

Manchester is currently top in the Times for pharmacy, so well done! And yes, its definitely worth doing as there is a national shortage of pharmacists.
smaug
Manchester is currently top in the Times for pharmacy.

Personaly, I wouldn't look at the league tables to decide where to go! The best for Pharmacy in my order are Nottingham, School of Pharmacy London, Bradford. East Anglia's got the best course as they incorporate alot more on the job aspects and they offer 8 placements as part of the course in a variety of settings such as community, hospital, industry, prison, etc. Furthermore, one of their profesors; Prof. Duncan Craig is a big fish in the world of pharamcy, he's the one hosting the national phramaceutical conference in 2005! But i couldn't live there, the place is a dive and the guys at my pharmacy interview were all spotty faced mingers.

Bradford's got a realy high pass rate for the Pre Reg exam, coz they make you swot up and are the only university in the UK to offer a 5 year integrated course. Its great for tax benefits as your pre reg placement placement falls in two differnt tax years so you get charged very little tax!

Overall, id suggest Nottingham as they have the best Uni, best student union (c'mon they have a freshers week and a carnival week, not bad eh?), one of the best campuses (6-miles long and everything u need is on campus) and there's some really good clubs and the guys are pretty lush too!!
Reply 3
Fallen Angel
Personaly, I wouldn't look at the league tables to decide where to go! The best for Pharmacy in my order are Nottingham, School of Pharmacy London, Bradford. East Anglia's got the best course as they incorporate alot more on the job aspects and they offer 8 placements as part of the course in a variety of settings such as community, hospital, industry, prison, etc. Furthermore, one of their profesors; Prof. Duncan Craig is a big fish in the world of pharamcy, he's the one hosting the national phramaceutical conference in 2005! But i couldn't live there, the place is a dive and the guys at my pharmacy interview were all spotty faced mingers.

Bradford's got a realy high pass rate for the Pre Reg exam, coz they make you swot up and are the only university in the UK to offer a 5 year integrated course. Its great for tax benefits as your pre reg placement placement falls in two differnt tax years so you get charged very little tax!

Overall, id suggest Nottingham as they have the best Uni, best student union (c'mon they have a freshers week and a carnival week, not bad eh?), one of the best campuses (6-miles long and everything u need is on campus) and there's some really good clubs and the guys are pretty lush too!!

Oh1 thanks 2 all of u!!thought i'd never get a reply...
Reply 4
Fallen Angel
The best for Pharmacy in my order are Nottingham, School of Pharmacy London, Bradford. East Anglia's got the best course as they incorporate alot more on the job aspects

Don't quite see why anyone would consider the Fallen Angel league table to be superior to the Times meself ! :rolleyes:

Would agree with you that Notts would be very good, but no better than Manchester and Bath. School of Pharmacy, hmmm, well, the names impressive, but it does take in peeps with substantially lower A level grades and has a very high proportion of girls (mostly asian living at home) so would not be exactly the most fun place to go. As for Bradford, even though the five year course is unique, the status of the university as a whole is so much lower than the others that it could hardly be recommended as anything more than a good reserve choice! That could also be said for East Anglia, and its a new course so could have a lot of teething problems.
So I think Zazy should choose whichever she likes best from Manchester, Notts, Bath, Cardiff, with maybe a slightly lower reserve.
Smaug n Fallen Angel you've both brought up some pretty decent points but overall Nottingham is the best in terms of the course and student life.

I spent my first year at Manchester then transferred to Nottingham. Manchesters pretty good, though if you're planning on going there make sure you've got some fake ID (thank god i had my university of Aberdeenshire card ;-) lol) most of the clubs only let you in if you're over 21 and nearly always ask for ID. And ladies, fluttering your eyelids and showing a bit of clevage doesn't work on most of these places I should no, i worked as a bouncer on the doors!
Reply 6
Hey,

In my opinion, Bradford isnt exactly the best option. Being a Fourth year student, on the so-called 'intergrated' course, Those benefits highlighted by Fallen angel, a very little in the bigger picture. Presently the univeristy seems to be having great problems in holding down these pre-registration placements for the students on the five-year course. In the present climate, it would'nt be too far fetched to say that many students may find themselves in limbo, with no pre-registration placements at all!

With regards to the Univeristy itself, well what can i say, its a dump!

BUT, we have good pass rates, so if grades are all your thinking about, Brafford is the place for you.
zzaannee
Hey,
In the present climate, it would'nt be too far fetched to say that many students may find themselves in limbo, with no pre-registration placements at all!

I wasn't aware of that I'd just commented on what the admissions tutors at Bradford told me. Its refreshing to be told the truth from a student. I mean every Uni wants to look good by being economical with the truth but I didn't know it was that bad! Thanks for the insight, my cousin was going to apply there!
Reply 8
Fallen Angel
I wasn't aware of that I'd just commented on what the admissions tutors at Bradford told me. Its refreshing to be told the truth from a student. I mean every Uni wants to look good by being economical with the truth but I didn't know it was that bad! Thanks for the insight, my cousin was going to apply there!

Fallen Angel, with a thumbnail as good looking as that, i'll tell you every dark secret about the univeristy of bradford there is!

On a seriouse note, have anyone recieved details on a study being carried out by Manchester University regarding fourth year students, and keeping track of their employment status in the coming years.

it sound very interesting, but i'd appreciate comments from fourth year students at the university itself.

Back to the point in discussion, Bradford is'nt all as bad i initially made out (may I add at this point that the course administrator has read my previous comments), It does have its good points......

erm....

...er.....we have the Imax!

...and...and....er....er..... We are the home of Gareth Gates (no pun intended with regards to the stammering), and as it happens he went to my high school, nice kid.

so, in summary, Bradford are going the right way, in my opinion, with regards to splitting the pre-registration year. I immensly emjoyed my first 6-month placement, as as i am continuely being told, the promlems being experience this time round, as a 'blip' and should not be encountered in the future.

thats it....im outta here....

(p.s. actually in all honesty i should have said this at the start, not in the 'p.s' section, but oh well........ We also have the best Pharmacy football team in the country, thanx to your truely.)

no im really out...

later
zzaannee

erm....

...er.....we have the Imax!

...and...and....er....er..... We are the home of Gareth Gates (no pun intended with regards to the stammering),

LOL :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending