How did you choose your College?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
afterhisheart
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
I was just wondering. At the moment I just have no idea which one to choose - there's such a big choice and so many factors to take into account.
[email protected]
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jelly Bean)
I was just wondering. At the moment I just have no idea which one to choose - there's such a big choice and so many factors to take into account.
Balliol is fairly close to the Maths Department, is the closest to the Cinema and the closest to the Kebab shop... What else do you need?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Yannis)
Balliol is fairly close to the Maths Department, is the closest to the Cinema and the closest to the Kebab shop... What else do you need?
but apparently everyone hates it. If I understand things correctly, it's a bit like John's here.

Anyway...I chose Clare after two visits to Cambridge - the first officially on a NatSci/Medicine open day, then my cousin and I went around looking at colleges, he blagged our way in so we didn't have to pay. Second time was officially Fitz open day, then we (my Dad and I) went into town and went round some of the others.

The things I was considering were size (Clare is middle sized), academic standing (v. good), location, standard of music, reputation (from what little information I could get from my cousin) and general atmosphere. I also looked at the alternative prospectus to get an idea of male:female and staterivate ratios (I went to a private school, so I wanted a college where I was not likely to be discriminated for or against because of this). Can't think if there was anything else, but in the end it came down to Clare, Emma or Jesus, and Clare just won through in the end.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Went through the prospectus ruling out all those that didn't offer my subject. Ruled out PPH's because I wanted quite a large college, and went on open days for some of the others. Fell in love with the location and the river here, and the tutors were really helpful.
Hmmm, as far as I'm aware no-one really hates Balliol other than Trinity. Of all the colleges I would say Christ Church and St John's are probably the most disliked. Maybe even Keble.
[email protected]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
do all colleges offer ensuite accomodation at Oxford/cambridge???
RxB
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie Heskins)
No, most don't as far as I know.
Alexander
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Katie Heskins)
I don't think any college has entirely or even mainly ensuite rooms, but most have some; however the rent would probably be more.
hitchhiker_13
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think they might be all ensuite in Churchill.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Like hell everyone hates Balliol
J.S.
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Size-'cosy' v more diverse
prestige/reputation
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
Size-'cosy' v more diverse
prestige/reputation
proximity of kebab shops, availability of a coffee shop, distance to the Bodlean and the relevant Department (saves a lot of time in the morning aparently, etc.)
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
proximity of kebab shops, availability of a coffee shop, distance to the Bodlean and the relevant Department (saves a lot of time in the morning aparently, etc.)
Er, hate to break this to you but the kebab van outside Balliol is actually a bit crappy compared to Ahmed's which is outside Univ.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm not talking about the van. I'm talking about the one just past the theatre on the way to the station. They don't do pita bread, but some kind of naan-style thing, which is quite tasty as well.
scanner
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Consider anything at all you feel is relevant to you being OK there but include:

Atmosphere/ the feel of the place
Accomodation - where is it and for how many years
Size
Does it offer your intended subject/how strong is that subject in the college?
How many tutors in your subject, who are they, what are there interests?
Facilities
Academic pressure
Politics - if it bothers you
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I'm not talking about the van. I'm talking about the one just past the theatre on the way to the station. They don't do pita bread, but some kind of naan-style thing, which is quite tasty as well.
Yes, but if you were at Hilda's you would have the whole of Cowley Road at your disposal. More take-aways of every possible variety. Shame.
scanner
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Er, hate to break this to you but the kebab van outside Balliol is actually a bit crappy compared to Ahmed's which is outside Univ.
Ahmeds is OK but rates below Husseins. Don't ever eat at the one near St Annes.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)
Yes, but if you were at Hilda's you would have the whole of Cowley Road at your disposal. More take-aways of every possible variety. Shame.
I definitely wouldn't mind being at St Hilda's. I'd apply, but apparently I wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting in... shame. And another great thing about Balliol, as I was told by one of the Students: IT'S NOT TRINITY
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by scanner)
Consider anything at all you feel is relevant to you being OK there but include:

Atmosphere/ the feel of the place
Accomodation - where is it and for how many years
Size
Does it offer your intended subject/how strong is that subject in the college?
How many tutors in your subject, who are they, what are there interests?
Facilities
Academic pressure
Politics - if it bothers you
... and many other secondary factors other than the ones I named. lol
ogs
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went through the perspectus and thought bout what i wanted, and basically the things were, medium sized, central, old, near the river, pretty gardens, and the decision came down to essay or not! lol i chose the not!
It has warmed to me since as it has a nice black and white scarf! and decent college shield! lol
How bout you?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by scanner)
Ahmeds is OK but rates below Husseins. Don't ever eat at the one near St Annes.
Hehehe, even I have heard of Husseins! Don't ask why... :rolleyes:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (180)
38.22%
Take autumn exams (145)
30.79%
Look for a job (16)
3.4%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.46%
Take a year out (81)
17.2%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.94%

Watched Threads