Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    'Tennis Courts' featured pretty high up on my criteria sheet alongiside such things as a relaxed atmosphere and a decent number of history students.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I chose balliol to read ppe cuz :

PPE reputation second to none , prestige .. $hit loadz of tutors for the subjects

informality , friendliness, diversity ..

type of people whom i met when visiting , whether students or applicants..

beautiful, not in a very distracting way though ( ehm magdlene)

A very good position, close to all the usual spots, cinema , coffee shops , pubs , lebanese place opposite ( anybody been in there ?)

It's not trinity

Recommended by school tutors..

a challenge to get into ...

ReputationRep:
    Which Lebanese? The one down George Street? It's OK, but there are a couple on Cowley Road which are better. Or do you mean the belly dancing place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKewLesT)
    lebanese place opposite ( anybody been in there ?)
    Do you mean the one above Boswells?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    Which Lebanese? The one down George Street? It's OK, but there are a couple on Cowley Road which are better. Or do you mean the belly dancing place?
    Belly dancing yeah ..
    Well.. i havnt been in , so i dont know wha it iz all about .. from wha i got from outside, lebanese cuisine + somethin bout belly dancing ..

Other places as well.. i will need to spend more time exploring that place !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    Do you mean the one above Boswells?
    well, it was above somethin i thought.... might have been boswells.. cant remember ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaKewLesT)
    well, it was above somethin i thought.... might have been boswells.. cant remember ...
    Just opposite Balliol and Trinity, on top of Boswells. Lebanese place I think - does something like all you ca eat for £8ish? I've never been there, but I think it's the restaurant that ppeople i know who have been there call the shisha place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grey faerie)
    but I think it's the restaurant that ppeople i know who have been there call the shisha place?
    OMG !
    So that is the shisha place !
    awesome .. i heard there is one somewhere... didnt know it was opposite to balliol.. total coincidence ...
    Shisha, belly dancers, n lebanese food... does it get any better ?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanner)
    Consider anything at all you feel is relevant to you being OK there but include:

Atmosphere/ the feel of the place
    Accomodation - where is it and for how many years
    Size
    Does it offer your intended subject/how strong is that subject in the college?
    How many tutors in your subject, who are they, what are there interests?
    Facilities
    Academic pressure
    Politics - if it bothers you
    How do you find out how strong a College is in the subject you want to study? (I want to do French and German by the way)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelly Bean)
    How do you find out how strong a College is in the subject you want to study? (I want to do French and German by the way)
    No of tutors for your subject and size of intake , applicants per place is sometimes a measure of how popular it is as well...

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to go somewhere that looked pretty and was on the river. also there was no essay/extra exam only interviews and i had heard it had rep as being a "lazy college" lol.

ReputationRep:
    Pure guesswork (almost). A cousin's there already so I had had a look around, and liked what I saw. Went to the open day, really impressed by one of the English tutors, then went to a guest night. Thats all there was too it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    Pure guesswork (almost). A cousin's there already so I had had a look around, and liked what I saw. Went to the open day, really impressed by one of the English tutors, then went to a guest night. Thats all there was too it!
    I was going to choose Keble due to it providing three years accomodation and the fact that it was very pretty imo.
    However changed my mind at the last minute because I thought Worcester looked even nicer and the fact that it had sports fields on site was a massive bonus , although only two years accomodation was a slight downer

ReputationRep:
    I chose to apply for selwyn (cam) purely on the basis of the academic there. It was a big mistake and I didn't like the place or the tutor. Luckily I got pooled and got a conditional at robinson which had a much nicer atmosphere. Girton also had a nice atmosphere.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelly Bean)
    I know I'm biased but I'm not lying when I say Hilda's is great for languages. Considered one of the best if not the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    I was going to choose Keble due to it providing three years accomodation and the fact that it was very pretty imo.
    Don't all Oxford colleges give 3? Nearly all the Camb ones do :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

No - all Ox colleges provide accomodation for years in your degree minus one, so you'd only have to live out for one year, but there are some colleges with enough accomodation for all 3 or 4 years of a course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    No, I don't think so anyway. Worcester gives you two years guaranteed accomodation and they have about 10-15 rooms for third years I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Veedy)
    No, I don't think so anyway. Worcester gives you two years guaranteed accomodation and they have about 10-15 rooms for third years I think.

They chuck you out in your third year? are you sure? as most colleges will make you live off premises for your second year if they make you live off site at all.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I made an open application (to cam). I've heard 1 in 10 applications are open, but I haven't met anyone else who's done it this way. Everyone else seems to have all these reasons for choosing their coolege, but i just let some computer decide. And I'm very happy with it's outcome - Magdalene.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.