Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, not to be corny or anything but HELP! :) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    Is it just me or is 8 people a lot?
    8 is middling for Medicine. Clare takes 12, Caius takes the most at 24-ish and I think Corpus only has 5 (St. Edmunds only has 2, but they're different ). Medicine is a large subject, remember!

What's the difference between a seamstress and a violist?
    The seamstress tucks up the frills.
    Love it I'm actually a cellist, and my best friend in my old orchestra was a viola player, so I do quite like them (and we hated the first violin section), but I like the jokes more.

ReputationRep:
    okay where the only place that you can find a viola?

Under your lorry!

Last exam I took, I got grade 5 ditinction, so I'm on the way...

What ages are all of you btw, as I am kinda confused with hoo is at uni and hoo not??

Is the open day for anyone? T'would be kool 2 busk there with danse macabre hehe (nicked off duel)
    There is actually I'm afraid many viola jokes based websites!

kool books suggested, I brought the book by david low to the teacher and he seemed to like it, hopefully he will get a copy for the school so I dont have to keep on renewing this book!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and I'm a first year medic at Clare (I had a gap year).

ReputationRep:
    Whoaaaoh I never knew there were so many viola players lurking in these forums! Then again, there's not much harm in having too many hitchhiker: I utterly agree with you: totally tasteless, although I did enjoy one or two from the site..
    How do you keep your violin from getting stolen? Put it in a viola case.

lol deianra, they'll probably hear "DOOOOG!" and start running as well.

You shouldn't have dropped the violin It is, to me, the most important single object apart from a small box I keep in my room (though I'd rather break my beginner outfit and get a proper one ; even the second violins sound better than mine :P) Music festival, that's good.. what Bach piece are you playing.. (Don't say Prelude No.1 :P) and the Nocturne? I love playing the one off "The Pianist".. have you heard it? I'm about grade 8 standard on the violin, I would say, cos the Bach solo violin pieces are a bit difficult, and I'm learning some pieces from grade 8 lists and some studies. At the moment, I'm into chamber music, like trios and piano-violin duets.

violagurl, I'm doing AS level, (17 yrs). Open days are for anyone, I would say. But you need to book a place; its free. You can ring them up or look in the college page.

Helenia, I was under the impression that medical schools take in about 60-100 people per uni.. so about 10-15 people is ok... I guess. Do you play the cello for Clare or have lessons?

Here's one more.. I couldn't resist :P
    Why do you always bury a viola player three feet under? Because deep down they are all very nice people.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, we simply have to play together! I'm taking my Grade 8 in the summer

Nocturne Op. 55, No. 1. (Chopin)
    The Pianist is a great film - German A-level is worth doing, you know!

Sarabande And Rondeaux: Partita No. 2 In C Minor, Bwv 826, Fourth And Fifth Movements (Johann Sebastien Bach).

I'm also an AS-level person (Maths, Chemistry, German and Economics). Next year: Further Maths and Critical Thinking. I could almost do Medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d0c)
    Helenia, I was under the impression that medical schools take in about 60-100 people per uni.. so about 10-15 people is ok... I guess. Do you play the cello for Clare or have lessons?
    No - most med schools are much larger than that. Cambridge has around 280-300 pre-clinical students; other places like UCL are even bigger.

I don't play the cello for Clare - there are so many musicians here that they can form a full orchestra without needing my puny Grade 7 skills! And I don't have lessons either - not many people do, and I couldn't afford them.

ReputationRep:
    I have my performing tomorrow, little worried! It should go to plan, apart form the fact that atthe moment I am dying of a cold that started yesturday and can only get worse!! This counts to about 20% of my GCSE Oh well

Violagrrl

ReputationRep:
    hope the performing went ok. if it's anything like mine was they'll have let u record it bout 6 times till u reckon it's perfect! wish all performing was like that - i've got big concert on sat so very nervous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violagrrl)
    okay where the only place that you can find a viola?

Under your lorry!

Last exam I took, I got grade 5 ditinction, so I'm on the way...

What ages are all of you btw, as I am kinda confused with hoo is at uni and hoo not??

Is the open day for anyone? T'would be kool 2 busk there with danse macabre hehe (nicked off duel)
    There is actually I'm afraid many viola jokes based websites!

kool books suggested, I brought the book by david low to the teacher and he seemed to like it, hopefully he will get a copy for the school so I dont have to keep on renewing this book!
    I'm 18, Year 13 at college. I wouldn't mind about viola jokes but every week at orchestra our conductor tries to think of a new viola joke that we haven't heard yet, it's kinda an obsession for him. Most of them are generally pretty bad too and i think he sometimes spends most of his week doin this. The viola is a good instrument though, at orchestra we're by far louder than the 2nd violins most of the time!!! (There's 4 of us and about 10 of them). Problem is i'm the only one who plays in college so i'm the viola section in the orchestra there. We're under-appreciated!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    well, unfortunately i am sadly lacking in amusing viola anecdotes, but i may be of help in terms of history...

i have an offer from oxfit for ancient and modern history, so i can, if you want, tell you about my interviews, what stuff i read (wouldnt take long, oops...) etc.

i am doing history, french, english lit and art for a level, as well as an as in theology, which is mostly for interest really, and so i dont have a minging double free in the middle of the day. i do regret not taking it to a full a level now though. in terms of subjects for a level i would advise to have a real think about your fourth... what about a language? or go for a bit of diversity - a science?

ReputationRep:
    yeah a teacher wants me to do biology (ahh) or french, but the french teacher has erractic attence so i'm a little behind.

The performing went well, I find out the results soon! Schmelen if you could PM with what you did when you first decided to go for historyit would help!

The performing was recorded in three go althougher of two pieces, and I had a really bad cold so on the performing there some really nice sniffs!!

Yesturday it was embarrising in orchestra, I was taslking to one of the cellist who sits next to me when the piece started, only the violins play hgih notes at the start and a bar and a half later the violas and trumpets come in with the tune, but because I was talking I just guessed where to come in... the conductor said stop, then stoppped the entirer orchestra and pointed and said, "You came in" We re-did it with him exagerating our entry

ReputationRep:
    yeah a teacher wants me to do biology (ahh) or french, but the french teacher has erractic attence so i'm a little behind.

The performing went well, I find out the results soon! Schmelen if you could PM with what you did when you first decided to go for historyit would help!

The performing was recorded in three go althougher of two pieces, and I had a really bad cold so on the performing there some really nice sniffs!!

Yesturday it was embarrising in orchestra, I was taslking to one of the cellist who sits next to me when the piece started, only the violins play hgih notes at the start and a bar and a half later the violas and trumpets come in with the tune, but because I was talking I just guessed where to come in... the conductor said stop, then stoppped the entirer orchestra and pointed and said, "You came in" We re-did it with him exagerating our entry

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.