The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Undry1
Can television be used to control people's minds and change their outlook on life or positions on moral issues, or is it harmless??

It's like any media. It's a great platform for propaganda and bias.
Undry1
Can television be used to control people's minds and change their outlook on life or positions on moral issues, or is it harmless??

A great man once said "Television is something too valuable to be used for entertainment"
Reply 3
Danithestudent
A great man once said "Television is something too valuable to be used for entertainment"

do you know who the great man was?
piginapoke
It influences in much the same way as newspapers influence. If you're susceptible you'll take in the tripe they have to offer and accept it as truth. Some people are very persuadable.

I still argue by the fact a lot of the time we read and watch what we agree with rather than watching something that makes us agree with that. But to some extent there is a great influence on people from the media, but there is from friends...family...where you live...
Undry1
do you know who the great man was?

I can't remember actually...it was an impromptu comment from my Lower sixth media teacher whilst at the vending machines in college...like 2 years or so ago
Reply 6
Consider int eh 1980's when the BBC presented the fact that spaghetti came from spaghetti trees. And people believed them.
Reply 7
its only mind control if you're gullible or very impressionable, and remember, sainsburys makes life taste better, for less.
Consider int eh 1980's when the BBC presented the fact that spaghetti came from spaghetti trees. And people believed them.

Seriously? :confused:
This is kind of like the essay for Uni I'm writing, is the media to blame for the loss of trust in politicians. My view is no, they do the things that they do and we don't like it but the media is only the middle man, with a reputation for being manipulative but either way you look at it the politicians are still doing these things....
Reply 10
Undry1

well noW, Ahm compleTely unCffected. see, However you look at it not everyone iS subject to sublIMinal messages on Plain old Screens. sOme are Not affect, including mySelf.

What about the house hippo and the War of the Worlds on American radio lol
Reply 12
Danithestudent
I still argue by the fact a lot of the time we read and watch what we agree with rather than watching something that makes us agree with that. But to some extent there is a great influence on people from the media, but there is from friends...family...where you live...

but isnt it possible to slip something that you dont agree with into a programme that you do agree with and are watching, but dont realsie you dont agree with it?? hmmm seems rather confusing what ive written, but nevermind.
Reply 13

extremely stupid people mind you.
'
{ingnik']well noW, Ahm compleTely unCffected. see, However you look at it not everyone iS subject to sublIMinal messages on Plain old Screens. sOme are Not affect, including mySelf.

Watch Simons?????
What?!?!?!?!?!?
Reply 15
Gimp
its only mind control if you're gullible or very impressionable, and remember, sainsburys makes life taste better, for less.

impresionable/gullible. like children ??
Danithestudent
Watch Simons?????
What?!?!?!?!?!?

ohh SimPsons
Reply 17
Danithestudent
Watch Simons?????
What?!?!?!?!?!?

yeeees. well you can have some rep tomorow because i am already indebted to Kurt for his stirring yet humourous anit drugs proclimations yesterday.
Undry1
impresionable/gullible. like children ??

like ^mjg^
Reply 19
Gimp

But as TV begins to have an effect in early childhood, when people are naturally very gullible and very impressionable, and as the biggest effect is to make people gullible and impressionable about TV and what they see on it, it produces a load of gullible and impressionable people who are influenced by TV.

Latest

Trending

Trending