The Student Room Group

The Rugby Union Society

Scroll to see replies

shunter7634
Can anybody out there reassure me that Ulster aren't going to embarrass themselves against the Hairsprays tonight? It's been so long since Ulster have won a match that I've been at, and I really want to see them win!

I feel quite sorry for Frank Hadden - Scotland just have too many holes in their team with no talent to fill them. I always thought he did a fairly good job given his mediocre squad.

I'm sorry my friend, but that's just completely wrong. Scotland have as many talented players in their team as the other nations. We have the same problems with our 10 as other nations do. If you think those players are mediocre then you need to watch them play regulalry rather than treating yourself to occasional glimpeses during the 6 nations.

And I really hope it isn't Andy Robinson.

Rod MacQueen would be my choice.
QwentyJ
I'm sorry my friend, but that's just completely wrong. Scotland have as many talented players in their team as the other nations. We have the same problems with our 10 as other nations do. If you think those players are mediocre then you need to watch them play regulalry rather than treating yourself to occasional glimpeses during the 6 nations.

I can't bring myself to believe that's true. There's no way your coach could affect you so much if that's the case. I mean, how many Scots are going to make the Lions tour? 3, maybe 4? And you can't really make cases for too many of the others. I realise this is due to a lack of a good international team to base their case on, and that they've a couple of good young players for whom this tour has come a year or two too early, but there's no way they have the talent and depth of England, Wales or Ireland (although the Irish depth isn't great either).
shunter7634
I can't bring myself to believe that's true. There's no way your coach could affect you so much if that's the case. I mean, how many Scots are going to make the Lions tour? 3, maybe 4? And you can't really make cases for too many of the others. I realise this is due to a lack of a good international team to base their case on, and that they've a couple of good young players for whom this tour has come a year or two too early, but there's no way they have the talent and depth of England, Wales or Ireland (although the Irish depth isn't great either).

Ok, here's the best team, so let's look at it like this:

1. Al Dickinson - regularly starts for GP leaders Gloucester
2. Ross Ford - one of the better hookers in the British Isles
3. Euan Murray - enough said
4. Nathan Hines - enough said
5. Jim Hamilton - pretty powerful lock
6. Al Strokosch - regularly starts for GP leaders Gloucester
7. Johnny Barclay - recognised as one of the bst 7's in GB/Scott Gray - regularly starts for Northampton
8. Simon Taylor - Lion and Stade Francais stalwart
9. Mike Blair - IRB nominated player of the year
10. Phil Godman - no grat shakes - but we have the same problems at flyhalf as th other countries
11. Simon Danielli - pretty good winger
12. Nick De Luca - an able centre
13. Max Evans/Ben Cairns - both pretty good
14. Thom Evans - not much I need to say about him
15. Rory Lamont - regularly starts for Sale/Chris Paterson - leading Scottish points scorer.

There's quality in that team, so why didn't it perform? Well, for one reason Frank Hadden had little to none experience of coaching decent sides. His only 2 claims were getting Edinburgh to the HC QF 5/6 years ago. I have stated other reasons above in another post.

Realistically, the issue we have is depth. We can match th other nations with the starting 22. It's about getting the right person to motivate them and get them doing the basic things in training. A lot of it is down to the coach, his training of the team and preperation. With the recent Scottish squad, there should be no reason why we aren't hitting the heights. I expect it soon enough.
QwentyJ
Ok, here's the best team, so let's look at it like this:

1. Al Dickinson - regularly starts for GP leaders Gloucester
2. Ross Ford - one of the better hookers in the British Isles
3. Euan Murray - enough said
4. Nathan Hines - enough said
5. Jim Hamilton - pretty powerful lock
6. Al Strokosch - regularly starts for GP leaders Gloucester
7. Johnny Barclay - recognised as one of the bst 7's in GB/Scott Gray - regularly starts for Northampton
8. Simon Taylor - Lion and Stade Francais stalwart
9. Mike Blair - IRB nominated player of the year
10. Phil Godman - no grat shakes - but we have the same problems at flyhalf as th other countries
11. Simon Danielli - pretty good winger
12. Nick De Luca - an able centre
13. Max Evans/Ben Cairns - both pretty good
14. Thom Evans - not much I need to say about him
15. Rory Lamont - regularly starts for Sale/Chris Paterson - leading Scottish points scorer.

There's quality in that team, so why didn't it perform? Well, for one reason Frank Hadden had little to none experience of coaching decent sides. His only 2 claims were getting Edinburgh to the HC QF 5/6 years ago. I have stated other reasons above in another post.

Realistically, the issue we have is depth. We can match th other nations with the starting 22. It's about getting the right person to motivate them and get them doing the basic things in training. A lot of it is down to the coach, his training of the team and preperation. With the recent Scottish squad, there should be no reason why we aren't hitting the heights. I expect it soon enough.

I was actually coming back to this thread to rescind my previous comment. I was at the Ulster game tonight and we have exactly the same problem. When I thought about how many players we actually needed to change, it only came to 4. Yet they are absolutely abysmal as a team.
So you're probably right, a coaching change may work. I still don't think that they're as good as the other sides talent wise, but not as far off as I first figured.
I will say though, that Scotland need a new back row (Simon Taylor was useless in the 6N, I thought), a 10, a 12 and maybe a 15. Aside from that it's looking pretty good. And I've grown to love Danielli - at the minute he's the only person on the Ulster team who can actually play...
Danielli's try tonight was absolutely brilliant. Damn the Hairsprays! :mad:
lnjames
Danielli's try tonight was absolutely brilliant. Damn the Hairsprays! :mad:

It was so similar to Bowe's try in the match against Wales - pity we didn't get the same result :mad:
Good day of rugby today. Bath v Quins, Tigers v Sharks, and Munster v Leinster. Might even watch some of the roogby league "double bill" today but I'll probably fall asleep after a couple of minutes.

Also, is it immature of me to find the picture on the Guinness Premiership splash page funny? :p:
The Leicester Tigers V Sale Sharks game today was immense! Although the red-carding of Julian White was definitely a controversial decision to make.
mad-cow-intuition
The Leicester Tigers V Sale Sharks game today was immense! Although the red-carding of Julian White was definitely a controversial decision to make.

Given that they didn't see Sheridan punching him, definitely not controversial. Punch to the face = red card. Simple as.

However, as much as I hate Leicester, they played some outstanding rugby and, apart from the scrums, it would have been impossible to tell they were only playing with 14 men (and they even held their own in the scrums with 7). Just as long as they don't go on to win the whole thing...
What a game that was! Awesome spectacle.

If Geordan Murphy doesn't go on the Lion's tour, there is something seriously wrong.

Only just got back in time for the punch from the Worcester game. Gobsmacking performance, the whole team fronted up and we were fantastic!

Either it's the Sixways factor or we put a side of dopplegangers out against Bristol! Bring on the Challenge Cup, will certainly be hilarious to salvage a Heineken Cup spot from our terrible season.

Come on Munster tonight! Interested to see that neither O'Driscoll or Fitzgerald are playing though...

EDIT: Watching the Munster game.

I swear to god if Tomas O'Leary takes one more stupid little step before he passes from the base I will personally swim to Limerick and murder him.

Stringer is so much better :sad:

EDIT 2: Munster masterclass.

O'Gara is Lion's 10, there is nothing to debate. Stringer has just felled Rocky Elsom in open play by grabbing at his feet. He better get the shirt for the visit of the Hairsprays!
pinkpenguin
What a game that was! Awesome spectacle.

If Geordan Murphy doesn't go on the Lion's tour, there is something seriously wrong.

Only just got back in time for the punch from the Worcester game. Gobsmacking performance, the whole team fronted up and we were fantastic!

Either it's the Sixways factor or we put a side of dopplegangers out against Bristol! Bring on the Challenge Cup, will certainly be hilarious to salvage a Heineken Cup spot from our terrible season.

Come on Munster tonight! Interested to see that neither O'Driscoll or Fitzgerald are playing though...

EDIT: Watching the Munster game.

I swear to god if Tomas O'Leary takes one more stupid little step before he passes from the base I will personally swim to Limerick and murder him.

Stringer is so much better :sad:

EDIT 2: Munster masterclass.

O'Gara is Lion's 10, there is nothing to debate. Stringer has just felled Rocky Elsom in open play by grabbing at his feet. He better get the shirt for the visit of the Hairsprays!

The Munster match was awesome! O'Gara deservedly MOTM and Keith Earls' try was magnificent! It took the forwards a while to get back into the swing of things - DOC, POC and Wally all pretty quiet by their usual standards but solid none the less.

O'Leary step prior to passing :mad: :mad: :mad:
The Referee
The Munster match was awesome! O'Gara deservedly MOTM and Keith Earls' try was magnificent! It took the forwards a while to get back into the swing of things - DOC, POC and Wally all pretty quiet by their usual standards but solid none the less.

O'Leary step prior to passing :mad: :mad: :mad:

He does my head in big time!

Stringer's tackle on Rocky Elsom should be enough to justify his defensive credentials and give him the starting shirt next week!

O'Gara controlled the game amazingly well. If he continues to control like that he should be front-runner for the Lion's shirt. If he was to play, I wouldn't even have a fly half on the bench because I'd play Riki Flutey to cover if there is an injury. SH, centre and back three sub on the bench. Bit risky, but no matter which one plays, neither ROG or Jones are exactly 'impact' players are they?

Earls was very very impressive, made Rob Kearney look like a right fool when he went over for his try. I'm actually in the Delon Armitage/Geordan Murphy for Lion's 15 camp after yesterdays games from Kearney and Murphy!

Wally did look pretty handy at No. 8, though, so it could be an option if Williams is playing well.

On the Leinster side, what the hell was going on with Contepomi's kicking? I was astounded at how bad he was! Horgan was a mixed bag, Dempsey was ok too, but nothing special. Gordon D'Arcy had a good game, though. Sean O'Brien and Niall Ronan for Munster both look like great prospects.

Overall I thought it was a good game, way more expansive than I thought it would be. Munster will hopefully sweep the Hairsprays aside next week, and I hope Leinster go through too!
pinkpenguin
He does my head in big time!

Stringer's tackle on Rocky Elsom should be enough to justify his defensive credentials and give him the starting shirt next week!

O'Gara controlled the game amazingly well. If he continues to control like that he should be front-runner for the Lion's shirt. If he was to play, I wouldn't even have a fly half on the bench because I'd play Riki Flutey to cover if there is an injury. SH, centre and back three sub on the bench. Bit risky, but no matter which one plays, neither ROG or Jones are exactly 'impact' players are they?

Earls was very very impressive, made Rob Kearney look like a right fool when he went over for his try. I'm actually in the Delon Armitage/Geordan Murphy for Lion's 15 camp after yesterdays games from Kearney and Murphy!

Wally did look pretty handy at No. 8, though, so it could be an option if Williams is playing well.

On the Leinster side, what the hell was going on with Contepomi's kicking? I was astounded at how bad he was! Horgan was a mixed bag, Dempsey was ok too, but nothing special. Gordon D'Arcy had a good game, though. Sean O'Brien and Niall Ronan for Munster both look like great prospects.

Overall I thought it was a good game, way more expansive than I thought it would be. Munster will hopefully sweep the Hairsprays aside next week, and I hope Leinster go through too!

Contepomi is teh definition of flakey - and he doesn't like munster! He gets harrassed unmercifully by the crowd and very often loses the plot (Munster Leinster HCUP semi final in 06 was another example of this). Kearney will need a big match against the quins next week to get back into contention for the lions tour. Murphy standing Horgan up was a sight to see!

Hairsprays have had 2 poor performances...I'm hoping for a win for Munster (obviously) but the 'Sprays can put in a performance at any time.

With Mike Phillips to contend with, I can't see McGahan starting Stringer next week (and he is a TOL fan!) - but I agree that Stringer ought to be starting.
pinkpenguin

I will cry if Murphy goes on the Lions tour. He's a completely different player for Leicester (he never turns up for Ireland), and I still think they need solid, consistent players against SA.
Brilliant matches yesterday, particularly Tigers v Sharks. Julian White has a mean right, should have just had both players sinbinned though. Ah well, the mighty Tigers won again and are back on top, with Quins in second I'm quite happy. Would love the two teams in the final, they've been playing the best rugby all season.

Tbh, if I lived in London and they didn't have stupid kit, I'd probably support Quins! :o:
Reply 2115
shunter7634
I will cry if Murphy goes on the Lions tour. He's a completely different player for Leicester (he never turns up for Ireland), and I still think they need solid, consistent players against SA.

worth selecting him just to see this.
shunter7634

I'd have him on the bench as impact.

Heard he's a great tourist too, they need personalities, not just good rugby players.

And Lions =/= Ireland. Quite often players play out of their skin for the Lions, way better than they do for their country. If he's on form, there is no justification to not take him.

And tbh, he hasn't 'turned up for Ireland' because he has been (wrongly) playing second-fiddle to Girve the Swerve for years and now for Kearney. He gets 10 minutes a game. O'Sullivan hated him and Kearney was playing well enough to merit the shirt.

But after Kearney's performance yesterday, Im not sure he merits it at the moment. He was far from solid, but perhaps he just sucks at playing winger. Allowing Keith Earls to destroy him like that wasn't good enough, though.
England squad watch, Cipriani still coming along nicely, won the game for Wasps against Newcastle, apparently superb tactical kicking, one drop goal and three out of four penalties.

1 Dan Murphy
2 Dylan Hartley
3 ???
4 Nick Kennedy
5 Richard Blaze
6 Tom Croft
7 ???
8 Jordan Crane

9 Danny Care
10 Danny Cipriani
11 Ugo Monye
12 Riki Flutey
13 Jordan Turner-Hall
14 Mark Cueto
15 Delon Armitage

:awesome:
No way would any coach worth the position make that many changes in one swoop!
The Referee
No way would any coach worth the position make that many changes in one swoop!

Well yeah, the change in the pack is a bit of wishful thinking. But the backs would be realistic.

Quick Reply

Latest