Turn on thread page Beta

the church and education watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i don't mean this as a religious discussion, i just found it very interesting that, with so many people ****ging off the Church's role in todays society and that of the past, the church actually did quite a lot of good...i never even knew that free education is due to the Church's efforts to 'morally elevate the poor'. Interesting stuff.

http://www.umd.umich.edu/casl/hum/en...b/VICTORIA.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    free education is due to the Church's efforts to 'morally elevate the poor
    yeh bullsh*t it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)
    i don't mean this as a religious discussion, i just found it very interesting that, with so many people ****ging off the Church's role in todays society and that of the past, the church actually did quite a lot of good...i never even knew that free education is due to the Church's efforts to 'morally elevate the poor'. Interesting stuff.

Morally elvated to Christianity you mean?

I know personally that in my school's history (1550's), that it started out as a school for teh poor etc, but obviously a main part of the education was religion itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Wasn't the Church single handedly responsible for the dark ages?
    and owned most of the land in england thereby not giving anyone else a look in.

ReputationRep:
    the church's role in education has been active many centuries ago. Even during and after slavery in the America's the church was responsible for educating the enslaved and newly freed people. grants were given to build schools and train teachers.

H/w on a negative side it has been proven that the church also contributed to slavery by teaching the slaves that their situation was approved by God. there is alot of controversy surrounding the church's invovement in edu.

however, one has to be cognizant of the many dimenson of the church. there are many denominations that profess many different doctrines... so it would be helpful to be specific
    eg in slavery the Baptists did much to educate the slaves to a better life. I only used this example of the church and slavery...but there are many more areas worth discussing.

ReputationRep:
    I went to church once.

ReputationRep:
    The Christian orders were the first ones to provide education in a lot of places, yea. I personally was educated in a Christian Brothers primary school. I still firmly believe in the seperation of Church and State and secular education but yes, they do deserve some credit for the work that they have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace)

the church works like any other big evil corperation. McDonalds will make their burger cartons out of recycled cardboard so they can print it on the box so people think they're nice caring people and buy burgers from them rather than someone else. The church sets up schools and does nice things so people like them and maybe want to become christian.

What i think is really sick is how they brainwash young children into christianity in christian schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    the church works like any other big evil corperation. McDonalds will make their burger cartons out of recycled cardboard so they can print it on the box so people think they're nice caring people and buy burgers from them rather than someone else. The church sets up schools and does nice things so people like them and maybe want to become christian.

What i think is really sick is how they brainwash young children into christianity in christian schools.
    Utter s***.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    yeh bullsh*t it is
    Why do you like to assume negative things about those who are (primarily) trying to do good in the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    I have more faith in the ability of humans to make up their own mind than you do then, it seems.

ReputationRep:
    The basis of christianity is built on good things. Look at what the church teaches and if you followed that through your life you wouldn't be a bad person. Ok, maybe they aren't as liberal as some would like, but live with it and stop ****ging something which in general is trying to do its best for the world.

The dark ages? so are you blaming the people involved in the church today for that period? Don't make yourself look so stupid.

And no i don't go to church at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Why do you like to assume negative things about those who are (primarily) trying to do good in the world?
    because they preach nonsense. and look at all the good they're doing, making all those homosexuals feel right at home. and raising fairness and equality for women ill bet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woodsy)
    The basis of christianity is built on good things. Look at what the church teaches and if you followed that through your life you wouldn't be a bad person. Ok, maybe they aren't as liberal as some would like, but live with it and stop ****ging something which in general is trying to do its best for the world.

The dark ages? so are you blaming the people involved in the church today for that period? Don't make yourself look so stupid.

And no i don't go to church at all.
    the church is still the church. and yes their ideology is nice and good, but the fact that they expect people to believe some of the things in the bible is nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    because they preach nonsense. and look at all the good they're doing, making all those homosexuals feel right at home. and raising fairness and equality for women ill bet.
    In your opinion.

So you'd take away the free education they've given to those who would otherwise be unable to afford it, just because you think they "preach nonsense"?

ReputationRep:
    Education should be free anyway...when churches give free education they are doing a good thing...but they shouldn't force religion on those who receive it (im not sure if they do or not), and half of Christians don't believe everything in the bible anyway, most have very liberal ideas. And some just believe there is a greater prescence in the world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    In your opinion.

So you'd take away the free education they've given to those who would otherwise be unable to afford it, just because you think they "preach nonsense"?
    yes, i would rather be uneducated than educated with a load of rubbish. and no, not 'in my opinion', whats this ongoing fiasco with the whole gay bishops thing and how many women do you see in bishop's clothing? no, the church's ideology has good points but a lot of its messed up. i think the 10 commandments are well and good (well 8 of them anyway) but they stole those off judaism, so hey.

ReputationRep:
    yes, i would rather be uneducated than educated with a load of rubbish. and no, not 'in my opinion', whats this ongoing fiasco with the whole gay bishops thing and how many women do you see in bishop's clothing? no, the church's ideology has good points but a lot of its messed up. i think the 10 commandments are well and good (well 8 of them anyway) but they stole those off judaism, so hey.
    1) Unfortunately you are not in a position to make this call. There are millions of children that would kill for the chance for an education. Even though I'm not going to dispute your "load of rubbish" claim, I would ask you whether having a few lessons a week in which someone "preaches" to you about God is worth giving up a complete education? I think not...

2) About the Bishops: I wish you could stick to one point rather than jumping around everywhere as it makes for a very inconsistent argument. The relevance of this point is ultimately insignificant, for this discussion.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.