Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have noticed quite a few Discussion type threads in the main forum- I can't really understand why a lot of new sub forums have been created.. I mean isn't the whole point of UK-Learning about discussing issues? If a moderator moves all these threads the main forum will be left with nothing but mindless posts about the weather or about what everyone is going to eat for lunch. Sorry to rant but UK-Learning isn't what it used to be..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    I have noticed quite a few Discussion type threads in the main forum- I can't really understand why a lot of new sub forums have been created.. I mean isn't the whole point of UK-Learning about discussing issues? If a moderator moves all these threads the main forum will be left with nothing but mindless posts about the weather or about what everyone is going to eat for lunch. Sorry to rant but UK-Learning isn't what it used to be..
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

Even I can remember a time when this place was so much better. It's a viscious circle - there is a lack of good threads, so established members begin to lose interest and post less. This leads to even less good discussion.

ReputationRep:
    True, the only reason I post at the moment is because I'm always at my computer working, after all my coursework is done with by the end of next week, I can't see myself coming back for a while at least.

ReputationRep:
    My post count seems just to stay the same because I don't see anything interesting to post anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    i think that the subforums are fine to be honest - for example if you want to discuss career options where can you discuss this other than making a new career forum? and same with other ones such as debate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    What have I done to deserve being in your sig?!
    You should know that, you were the only one to answer my career question and you told it me right. If I had money to send you, I would.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i think that the subforums are fine to be honest - for example if you want to discuss career options where can you discuss this other than making a new career forum? and same with other ones such as debate
    But why can't you just do that in the main forum? You probably won't get many responses in the sub forums anyway because they don't get as much traffic.

ReputationRep:
    - Get rid of sub-forums
    - Bring back Unregistered users

That's the set up which made UK-learning popular in the first place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Start saving.
    LOL, I have 73p...It may be a while!

ReputationRep:
    You want a better forum, I say bring back the unregistereds...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newbie)
    - Get rid of sub-forums
    - Bring back Unregistered users

That's the set up which made UK-learning popular in the first place
    There is no way unregistereds should be brought back. No other forum lets unregistered users post, so why should this one? This forum is very easy to sign up, it takes about a minute (i've seen forums where you actually need an Email address from an ISP to sign up.) There is no real reason why they can't register.

Out of interest, have you been coming here as a guest for a while, when there was large amounts of spamming from unregistered users? They can still do it now, but at least they can get their username blocked, which is a good thing. Seeing as the mods can't ban IP's at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I really like some of the subforums its far easier to find things relating to university and academic questions without trawling through millions of posts. I think that the film and Tv and books dont need a subforum though and I'm not that keen on the debating one theres going to nothing left to talk about in main soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    There is no way unregistereds should be brought back. No other forum lets unregistered users post, so why should this one? This forum is very easy to sign up, it takes about a minute (i've seen forums where you actually need an Email address from an ISP to sign up.) There is no real reason why they can't register.

Out of interest, have you been coming here as a guest for a while, when there was large amounts of spamming from unregistered users? They can still do it now, but at least they can get their username blocked, which is a good thing. Seeing as the mods can't ban IP's at the moment.
    Thats true- you can sign up pretty quickly and without much hassle, but Unregistered's were only a problem when Maskall was here (is this Bono?). The old format, even with it's problems, was far better than this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

the unregistered users can just kiss their own arses. they are all people who cant even be bothered to sign up and want to get free coursework. They shouldnt be allowed to post anything at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I really like some of the subforums its far easier to find things relating to university and academic questions without trawling through millions of posts. I think that the film and Tv and books dont need a subforum though and I'm not that keen on the debating one theres going to nothing left to talk about in main soon.
    The "Uni" and "Oxbridge" sub-forums have a use.. but thats about it.

ReputationRep:
    I think the academic subforum certainly has a place its loads easier to find work solutions. Sorting through 12 hours worth of posts in main used to do my head in. The uni and oxbridge and personal statement ones are also useful but I dont see the point of the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    The "Uni" and "Oxbridge" sub-forums have a use.. but thats about it.
    I think "About" is OK too, we can shelve any queries about UKL there and get on with UKL itself. I agree that we shouldn't need the Media and Debate subforums...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Out of interest, have you been coming here as a guest for a while, when there was large amounts of spamming from unregistered users?
    Yep, I'm one of these people who don't like being tied down to a username. I've never spammed though, ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newbie)
    Yep, I'm one of these people who don't like being tied down to a username. I've never spammed though, ever.
    Some will spam and some won't. Just with unregistered users it was difficult to differentiate who the culprits were (although IP's could be used to identify them; nothing could be done as the mods can't block IP's) I don't really undersrand what you mean about "being tied down to a username"? If you mean that you can't voice your opinions as people will know who you are and will constantly bring up the subject to you - then you shouldn't say something if you don't feel that you can stand up for it.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.