The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
courtyboy02
Can anyone reccomend any good gcse revision books. I am currently revising 4 my gcse's. My friend says that the gcse in a week ones are good. Is that true?

nah i hate them the letts are better. The CGPs are quite good as well
Reply 2
TheWolf
nah i hate them the letts are better. The CGPs are quite good as well

i mean the letts gcse revision one not the revise in a week ones!
Reply 3
Yup - CGP are great revision guides - I found the science ones very useful.
courtyboy02
Can anyone reccomend any good gcse revision books. I am currently revising 4 my gcse's. My friend says that the gcse in a week ones are good. Is that true?

Well there are so many types which you can buy from your local book store. Firstly figure out how you learn best. Do you learn better from big thick revision guides full of useful and useless information and explanations? Or do you learn better from having a small book which you feel you will be able to get through which gives you the facts only? I know for me, I hate the big thick books (they cost lots too) because I feel I have no chance of getting through quickly them and therefore don't feel motivated to use them.

For subjects which require explanations rather than facts I use big books (english, history, french, german, religious education). But for subjects such as maths and science I use the small books which have fast facts (like gcse in a week).

You can use cd-roms/dvds if you learn better with something more interactive. Also try cds if you find that by listening you learn more.

Some revision guides are colourless and pictureless which may not help you, so I suggest flicking through some before you buy.
Reply 5
I hated the CGP books. So amateur... it wasn't exam board specific, so about 20% of what was in the book wasn't on my specification, it is so basic and annoyingly hard to actually learn from.

Search in www.amazon.co.uk for exam board specific revision books. I always find it good to get revision questions rather than notes, since you're already got your own notes from the past 2 years.
Reply 6
mik1a
I hated the CGP books. So amateur... it wasn't exam board specific, so about 20% of what was in the book wasn't on my specification, it is so basic and annoyingly hard to actually learn from.

I believe you can get syllabus specific CGP books. I found that basically everything in the book (bio/chem/phy) was in the book - infact, the standard biology book had notes about which bits were on which syllabuses.

But to each their own. I found them useful. I know other people dont.

I found the best place to go was WHSmiths and Waterstones - they had the widest selection of revision guides.
When I was revising for my GCSEs I liked the CGP books best because they were more 'fun'. They weren't board-specific, but still seemed to have all the info I needed for the exams.
Reply 8
courtyboy02

The CGP ones are great, especially the syllabus-specific ones. The jokes in them are great, and the revision material is good. I would avoid the GCSE in a week guides; they are rather superficial and should instead be called How to get a C at GCSE.

Good to see that you are thinking of revision this early!

J.
Reply 9
hornblower
The CGP ones are great, especially the syllabus-specific ones. The jokes in them are great, and the revision material is good. I would avoid the GCSE in a week guides; they are rather superficial and should instead be called How to get a C at GCSE.

Good to see that you are thinking of revision this early!

J.

He is even thinking about AS critical thinking revision guides.
Reply 10
Stop taking the piss! At least i want to suceed!
Reply 11
courtyboy02

Was I taking the piss? Think carefully before you jump to conclusions.

Encouraging was more of an apt word.
courtyboy02

Letts revision guides are pretty good.

£3 for an A/A* - Not a bad deal really.
Reply 13
Thanks 4 ur help. :smile:
Reply 14
2776. Have u done ur GCSE's yet and if so wot did u get?
Reply 15
courtyboy02
2776. Have u done ur GCSE's yet and if so wot did u get?

!2A*s why do you ask?
Reply 16
So u only did 2 gcse's?
Reply 17
courtyboy02
So u only did 2 gcse's?

Read that as 12 A*s. And soon to be a 13th this summer on Astrophysics.
Reply 18
What were ur a*'s in? MAy i increduosly inquire?
Reply 19
courtyboy02
What were ur a*'s in? MAy i increduosly inquire?

You may incredously enquire:

Maths
English Lit.
English Language
Double award (2 GCSEs)
Geography
RS
Art
French
German (Did this outside school)
And Astronomy

Latest