The Student Room Group

TSR Headphone and Earphone Society Mk I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anonymouse01
Not at all!
Which XBMC district are you using?
How are you controlling the Pi, keyboard? Phone? IR?

EDIT : How did you get 'given' a Pi lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here's a link to Head-FI where I put up a more detailed post. I couldn't be bothered to get XMBC on it as the last time I was putting an OS image on an SD it took ages. The Pi was a birthday present!
Got my JVC HAFX40 through the post and I'm just leaving them to burn in. Not hugely impressed so far but the sub bass did sound phenomenal!
I thought I had left my pretty blue SE215s in a club a few weeks ago, turns out in a drunken haze I'd just thrown them into the back of my wardrobe :ahee: So glad I hadn't last them!

I've decided I'm going to try and finally get some sort of review platform going, trying to get out one passably written review a week. I have the bulk of my HD25/V Moda M80 comparison already written, so finishing that can be my first objective. Afterwards I'll work through my remaining collection in no particular order (I'll probably start with the HD600s just so I have an excuse to wear them more) and then start borrowing any headphones from around the office that I can get my hands on!

Original post by SamHedges
Got my JVC HAFX40 through the post and I'm just leaving them to burn in. Not hugely impressed so far but the sub bass did sound phenomenal!

Any particular reason you bought them? :holmes:
At the Moment I'm running with HD202's they're alright for what I paid which I think was £20 but the cable is so god damn long even with it having a tier, Might look into getting a new pair. Noise cancelling is a must though.
Reply 1404
I've had my Bose IE3s for a while, and honestly, i've been impressed by them. They arn't worth the £90 Bose want (no set of in ear headphones are really), but I paid far less than that, and i've had them for 5 years now, and just had them replaced, so i'm certainly getting my moneys worth.

Had a listen to the B&W's on ear headphones the other day. And holy hell, they are stunners!
They scored well in the IEM shootout and I had an amazon voucher to use. I also got some of the super offensive Monoprice 9960s too for a laugh. Real money is being saved for the HD700s and an O2 amp hopefully!

Original post by OliverG
I've had my Bose IE3s for a while, and honestly, i've been impressed by them. They arn't worth the £90 Bose want (no set of in ear headphones are really), but I paid far less than that, and i've had them for 5 years now, and just had them replaced, so i'm certainly getting my moneys worth.

Had a listen to the B&W's on ear headphones the other day. And holy hell, they are stunners!

Thought I might shock you with this, so you can justify £100 IEMs :cool:

I don't know if you were tempted to buy the B&Ws but if so you can do a lot better for the money.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1406
They scored well in the IEM shootout and I had an amazon voucher to use. I also got some of the super offensive Monoprice 9960s too for a laugh. Real money is being saved for the HD700s and an O2 amp hopefully!

Thought I might shock you with this, so you can justify £100 IEMs :cool:

I don't know if you were tempted to buy the B&Ws but if so you can do a lot better for the money.

Had I been looking for the headphones, i'd have bought them, but I think i'm happy with my audio lot in life. Just went out and got some Harmon Kardon Soundstick 3s for my birthday. Brilliant they are. Although a bookshelf set may have been better, I needed something a bit more portable that I can take with me, and still have something that sounds nice.

And my goodness, if they arn't pricey! Bang and Olufsen, eat your heart out!
There are so many options for my next set up and I'm really struggling to make a decision. I really liked the HD700s when I listened to them but that was a £2000+ system and I just don't have that money. I could pair them with a Magni or O2 but there's no guarantee they'll be a good pairing. Then there are the HE-400 and 500, the 400s are supposed to be good for their price but for some reason I want to spend more. Then there are the HE-500s but they too need decent amping. Alternatively I could save up more and go for LCD2s but they look uncomfortable and I don't think they're available anywhere in the UK. I could go for the HD600 or 650 which supposedly pair well with both the Magni and the O2 but I can't help feeling like I'd want to upgrade soon after. On top of those there are they Beyerdynamics which I haven't spared much thought but have a lot of decent offerings.

I can only really try the Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics and potentially HiFiMen which rules out the LCD2s and probably the HEs. I'm currently leaning towards getting the HD700s and an O2 to see me through to when I can afford a Bottlehead Crack but they're expensive and there's not much about them on Head-Fi.

Decisions decisions! :dontknow:
Reply 1408
Still fully satisfied with Fidelio L1's and the Schiit stack. :smile:
I envy you, SMed. I spend too much time on Head-Fi :cyber:
I envy you, SMed. I spend too much time on Head-Fi :cyber:

I never thought I'd say it, but I don't currently have upgrade fever now that I've had my HD600s for a few weeks. Unless a rogue pair of HD800s/LCD-3s/other top tier cans drop under £500 for some reason I doubt I'll move for a few years aside from better source components. I could go into the realm of the ridiculous portable audiophile stacks, but I'm also quite content with my current mobile gear. If anything I'll get a FiiO X3 when it launches and call it a day, possibly to pair with the FiiO E12 for a mobile HD600 rig. Depends if I have to start traveling more for work, I guess.
Original post by DaveDavids
Any ideas on a good in-earphones please that are compatible with Galaxy S3 Android i.e have a mic and controls(call/volume/track change)?
thanks.

Budget? What sort of music do you listen to?
Original post by DaveDavids
Ideally a max of £50 but I am willing to increase in-order to meet the requirements I have.
Rock, indie, metal, punk, house, techno, trance and the odd rnb track. Currently listening to albums from 30 Seconds to Mars and Daft Punk if that helps.

I am all for audio quality (something that I think people have been neglecting over the past decade or so) however my view is to put money into static separates system for home and have quality there therefore portable in-earphones that produce above-average quality would be acceptable for been out and about.

I would probably go for either the Ultimate Ears UE 400 vm or Philips Citiscape St Germain. Neither are pairs that I have personally listened to, but are the only pairs I can think of that come from well regarded headphone lines which have inline remotes/mics for within your budget.
thanks for taking the time to respond, the Ultimate Ears UE 400vm seem to fit the requirements so I shall be purchasing these.
So I purchased the in ear Shure SE215 (I think). Got them for 80£ as I used a 20% off voucher.
Does anybody else own these?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I purchased the in ear Shure SE215 (I think). Got them for 80£ as I used a 20% off voucher.
Does anybody else own these?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do, they're the IEM I use for commuting. You kinda wasted the voucher though, they can be gotten for £75 on Amazon and a few other retailers.
What's your opinion on them? I've found that they're only good for listening to rock... Which I rarely listen to

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's your opinion on them? I've found that they're only good for listening to rock... Which I rarely listen to

Posted from TSR Mobile

I enjoy them a lot, they're my sub-£100 recommendation for someone who wants something warm and bassy. I actually don't like them as much for rock music, they don't have enough treble energy for my taste. Great for EDM though.
This is surprising.

The reason I dislike them is because there is not enough bass. Don't get me wrong, the bass is there and it hits the uber-low notes but it's just lacking in power when it comes to sub 20Hz.

This is weird because previously I tried my friends pair and the bass was more powerful... Not as powerful as i'd like but i'd say well balanced. I guess I need to play around with the tips, if not I might send them back.

The reason I purchased them was for sound-isolation when I 'need' it, which they are fantastic for. Although I prefer earphones which arn't sound isolating when commuting, it just makes me feel safer and aware of the surroundings
This is surprising.

The reason I dislike them is because there is not enough bass. Don't get me wrong, the bass is there and it hits the uber-low notes but it's just lacking in power when it comes to sub 20Hz.

This is weird because previously I tried my friends pair and the bass was more powerful... Not as powerful as i'd like but i'd say well balanced. I guess I need to play around with the tips, if not I might send them back.

The reason I purchased them was for sound-isolation when I 'need' it, which they are fantastic for. Although I prefer earphones which arn't sound isolating when commuting, it just makes me feel safer and aware of the surroundings

Yeah the bass is elevated but not overly so. Impact is good enough for me when I want heavier impact than my more neutral offerings, it's the same reason I keep my V Moda M80s to use alongside my more restrained HD25s. They won't satisfy ardent bass heads, which is when I'd recommend something like the Velodyne V Pulse, which are supposedly very bassy indeed whilst retaining a decent level of clarity.

Try out the supplied foam tips if you haven't already, they typically add a perceived boost to the lower frequencies as well as offering top tier isolation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending