The Student Room Group

TSR Headphone and Earphone Society Mk I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikeyd85
Bought the SoundMAGIC E10 for £30 at Richer Sounds. I've been quite impressed so far. They're nice and bassy, but it's not an overpowering bass at all, and it's tight. The mids are solid and the treble is nice and bright. They're also really bloody loud.

More impressively though, was that I managed to do that on a hangover after a works xmas do.

You look just like that dude from The Gadget Show! :awesome:

Looks like a beastly set of cans. I like how What Hifi give them a negative point for being good (you hear the bad quality in a recording...).

That's not me, it's some french guy from a youtube review :ahee:
http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/momentum-on-ear?utm_source=UK-Display&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=Momentum&utm_campaign=G+-+UK+-+EMEA+-+Sennheiser+-+Display+-+Remarketing

You seen these? :biggrin:

Couldn't be more obvious.

EDIT - Woah, InnerFidelity reviewed them over a year ago. Ah well, guess I was late to the party.

EDIT x 2 - No, just clocked there's the on ear version as well. I dunno what I'm doing tbh.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Wilfred Little
http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/momentum-on-ear?utm_source=UK-Display&utm_medium=CPC&utm_content=Momentum&utm_campaign=G+-+UK+-+EMEA+-+Sennheiser+-+Display+-+Remarketing

You seen these? :biggrin:

Couldn't be more obvious.

EDIT - Woah, InnerFidelity reviewed them over a year ago. Ah well, guess I was late to the party.

EDIT x 2 - No, just clocked there's the on ear version as well. I dunno what I'm doing tbh.

Yep, I've seen them both :ahee: The Momentums are fantastic headphones, a little too warm sounding for my tastes but as Sennheiser's first crack at the premium lifestyle segment of the market they pretty much nailed it. The On-Ears impressed me less, for £160-£180 I'd much rather go for my pair of V Moda M80s :yep: Well, what were my M80s, as much as I'll miss them it was worth seeing them go for the glorious P7s that are currently sat on my head :coma:
Reply 1783
Hey all,

My sennhesier cx-300's have broken todY after 4 years of hard work. Any ideas for a good quality sturdy earphone of £20-£30? I do a fair amount of running and cycling (I think it's cycling that broke my sennhesiers) so durable is essential. They don't need to be great as I have nice headphones for using on buses etc

Thanks!
Original post by WdA04
Hey all,

My sennhesier cx-300's have broken todY after 4 years of hard work. Any ideas for a good quality sturdy earphone of £20-£30? I do a fair amount of running and cycling (I think it's cycling that broke my sennhesiers) so durable is essential. They don't need to be great as I have nice headphones for using on buses etc

Thanks!

You should be able to find a pair of Sound magic E30 for around £30, good sound with an over-the-ear cable for better stability during exercise. The Sound magic E10s are also great if you want a conventional cable-down style of IEM :yy:
Reply 1785
Where is the best place to buy the Shure s215 in black from? I want an actual legit place where I will have warranty if they were to break?
Original post by xxvine
Where is the best place to buy the Shure s215 in black from? I want an actual legit place where I will have warranty if they were to break?

You can find a list of authorised Shure retailers here, going through the first nine sites they all sell at the same price of £89.
I've got some new IEMs are on the way to complete my portable setup. They're the new universal IEMs from renowned customs manufacturer Unique Melody. They're a triple driver hybrid design, with dual balanced armature drivers for mids and highs, with a dynamic driver for bass. I managed to get in on the first batch before they sold out in less than a couple of hours, so I'll be one of the first people in the world to get my mitts on them, and they're very pretty :teeth:

After that my audio spending will be complete for a while, at least until I can afford to buy some beefier desktop source components for my HD600s. I'm very content with my rigs now so no upgrade fever, I've even broken out my old Wharfedale monitors since moving back to Birmingham so I have a very enjoyable audio setup :h:

Nice when I leave for uni next year I want to have a nice proper setup at my uni accomodation.
Reply 1789
i called them up hardly any have them in stock

best place that sells them is Selfridges and they are selling at £99
Reply 1790
I need some help!

I have some dr dre solo hd beats headphones, and my sibling tried it and wants one for christmas. Purple or red.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beats-Dr-Dre-Edition-Headphones/dp/B008EQ1Z2O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387635060&sr=8-3&keywords=dr+dre+beats
Now they are expensive, and not the best value for money as most of the price is the brand. Are there some good looking headphones that have better/same sound quality for a lower price. Same size as the dre beats. Budget is about £100

Also, my other sibling is looking for some in-ear earphones because normal earphones fall out of their ear all the time. Any good suggestions? Budget is around £20

Any help would be appreciated because my lack of knowledge in this field has already meant I've already overspent on one dr dre beats headphones. Thanks!
Original post by minicaz
I need some help!

I have some dr dre solo hd beats headphones, and my sibling tried it and wants one for christmas. Purple or red.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beats-Dr-Dre-Edition-Headphones/dp/B008EQ1Z2O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1387635060&sr=8-3&keywords=dr+dre+beats
Now they are expensive, and not the best value for money as most of the price is the brand. Are there some good looking headphones that have better/same sound quality for a lower price. Same size as the dre beats. Budget is about £100

The Onkyo ES-FC300 are fantastic for £99, and in my opinion are very good looking;

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/onkyo-es-fc300/MTEwMjgyMQ_A_A?googlebase=1&country=GB&gclid=CP7p2NjYwbsCFQcTwwodjDcABg

Also, my other sibling is looking for some in-ear earphones because normal earphones fall out of their ear all the time. Any good suggestions? Budget is around £20

Any help would be appreciated because my lack of knowledge in this field has already meant I've already overspent on one dr dre beats headphones. Thanks!

Annoyingly the best in-ear options for this price come from VSonic and the best way of getting them is through Hong Kong/Singapore stores with eBay outlets, which are obviously unlikely to reach here before Christmas. My other suggestion at this price are the Monoprice 8320 with Comply Tips, which are in my opinion the best sounding IEMs for under £30 that are easily accessible in the UK despite the earphones themselves costing under a fiver. The housings are very large, however, so may not be ideal for somebody looking for a really secure fit or if they're used during exercise, in which case I'd probably go with the Soundmagic PL11 :yy:
Looking for some earphones that aren't in ear. Like the apple ones but better quality. Everything seems to fall out of my ears, but I really don't like in ear. So any normal earphones for up to £20 that I can buy that people would recommend?
Original post by Mesutozil
Looking for some earphones that aren't in ear. Like the apple ones but better quality. Everything seems to fall out of my ears, but I really don't like in ear. So any normal earphones for up to £20 that I can buy that people would recommend?

The problem is earbuds are a poor design for audio quality because they cannot create a seal. This drastically impacts the sound, especially the bass, a good illustration of this is why headphones sound tinny when they aren't in your ears. They therefore get neglected by most audio companies aside from bargain bin throwaways.

I'd recommend either hitting eBay and finding a pair of Yuin PK 3s, they're the cheapest offering from probably the only company to build high end earbuds, or buying a pair of Apple Earpods, which are actually quite good in terms of these headphones.
Reply 1794
anybody tried the urbeats?
Original post by 3mmz
anybody tried the urbeats?

Yes, and they're in line with the rest of the Beats line when it comes to price : performance ratios. Avoid.
Reply 1796
hmmm yeah a lot of people seem to dislike beats....

was going to get the urbeats as well as sainsburys are selling them for £60 (i get discount)/...

might get the shures like you have recommended before....
can you post me a link to where to buy them from as amazon doesn't seem to be selling them?
Original post by 3mmz
hmmm yeah a lot of people seem to dislike beats....

was going to get the urbeats as well as sainsburys are selling them for £60 (i get discount)/...

might get the shures like you have recommended before....
can you post me a link to where to buy them from as amazon doesn't seem to be selling them?

I won't get into a rant about them, but yeah, they're disliked for being poor products and using dishonest marketing to convince people they're a premium brand. For £60 the Philips Fidelio S1 sound much better.

You can find authorised Shure retailers by clicking here and choosing the Online Shops tab. They all sell them for £90 if they stock them.
Anything in particular?

Always made me chuckle when reading the official website and it saying how they're professional studio monitoring headphones or something & 'hear the music how it's meant to be heard' :biggrin:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending