Will my teeth shift without wearing retainers for a week? Watch

Miracle Day
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Basically today I had them off, my Orthadontist took a mould of my teeth etc and will give me the retainers next week.

Is this normal? Someone told me they're definitely going to shift during the time so I'm worried
Damask-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It might hurt a little - if it does, just take a paracetamol and sleep with them in. They'll be fine in the morning. I had my fixed braces off three years ago and it still hurts when I go a week without wearing my retainer.
NeverEatFish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah it usually only hurts overnight then it's fine. I hardly wear my retainer, sometimes go about 6 months without it then it takes a couple of nights to get back to normal.

Can't wear my bottom one now though because my wisdom tooth is in the way
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Miracle Day)
Basically today I had them off, my Orthadontist took a mould of my teeth etc and will give me the retainers next week.

Is this normal? Someone told me they're definitely going to shift during the time so I'm worried
It's quite common. Some orthodontists just have favourite retainer providers which take time to make them.

Don't worry, if your teeth were going to move the orthodontist wouldn't have allowed you this gap. As long as you follow their instructions about wearing them they should not shift any noticeable amount. Though the retainers will feel tight the first time you put them on! I waited more than a week for mine and my teeth are still just as straight a when I had my brace off

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
if your orthodontics is ok with it then I'm sure it'll be fine, I once never wore my retainers for a couple of weeks and then had to really push them in. It's been 2 years since I started wearing (night) retainers and I absolutely hate them, a bit broken as well
IndiaCaitlinn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It should be fine
They might be a bit tight but they'll be fine. I left mine out for about 4 days before and they hurt a bit to get in again but your teeth get used to it quite quickly.
harrietx123x
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Only a little. Exactly the same thing happened to me (I got a mould and the retainers were given to me a week later) and they felt a little tight at first, but otherwise its not much of a big deal.
PointyElbow
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I had to wait a week before I got my retainer. Just be glad you don't have to wear it in this time haha :P your teeth will likely shift a little but it should be corrected back over the first night or so when you wear them. It's not going to be any huge noticeable change, basically.
Sophiebx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I haven't woren my retainer for just about a week, I feel my front teeth going abit back to how they were, if I start wearing retainer again will it fix itself?
scriberg
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Sophiebx)
I haven't woren my retainer for just about a week, I feel my front teeth going abit back to how they were, if I start wearing retainer again will it fix itself?
yeah it will straighten up in a few days, i didnt wear mine for a month and it corrected itself in a week
Butterfly92xo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It will be a bit tight when you put them in after a week. Unfortunately, I didn't bother to wear my retainers after a few weeks and my teeth has shifted slightly that was 6 years ago so quite a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
coco1234567891
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
soo i took my braces off and the same exact thing happened to me im getting my retainers next week but now i ant my braces back beacuse people are saying i suit better with braces i just look weird and im thinking maybe if i whitened my teeth and get my retainers so they wil b more straight i will look better but i dont even know what to do now
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I can’t find my retainers at all since Friday I’m sure and have to wait till Monday for new ones will my teeth shift by then ? Abit worried
Janki warde
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I had my braces removed like 25 days ago amd i dont wear retainers regularly will my teeth shift i am noticing a little bit of change as they look like they are shifting back to the way they were if I now start wearing retainers will they be back to normal?!! Like alright?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Janki warde)
I had my braces removed like 25 days ago amd i dont wear retainers regularly will my teeth shift i am noticing a little bit of change as they look like they are shifting back to the way they were if I now start wearing retainers will they be back to normal?!! Like alright?
Wear your retainer as instructed and you should be okay. It'll minimise anymore movement and hopefully realign the small amount they have moved already.
Skypizza9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One of my wisdom teeth has started to come in at a wierd angle on the roof of my mouth and I can’t put my retainer in without it being sore but it’s been 3 weeks now and I feel like I need to start wearing it again but it is extremely painful what should I do try and wear it now wait for my wisdom tooth to be pulled in a couple of weeks or something else
Haleyyyyyy
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I did the same thing. I’m wearing mine right now to try and speed up the process.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.16%
The paper was reasonable (1112)
55.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (441)
21.85%
It was TERRIBLE (159)
7.88%

Watched Threads