Boots application to instore interview

Watch
petromasha
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok so I recently applied for 5 customer assistant positions in London with Boots and got through to the interview/assessment stage for all of them. I only went to the first two because I received job offers for both of them, but I’m hoping that this will be of some help to people tasking about the Boots assessment as there seem to be quite a few!

First off, the online application-I copied and pasted the ‘about me’ from my CV into the box asking if there was anything you wanted to tell them about you, and added a couple of lines about wantingto work for Boots. I received an email asking me to do the online assessment within minutes.

Online assessment-I only had to do one-once you’ve passed that’s it- you need to put yourself in the shoes of a customer and think about what you’d want from service. It’s all about being a team player, being considerate, putting the customer first, not being overly eager to find new ways to do things and being ok with not having a great deal of variety in your job-rules aren’t there to be broken, essentially! Be consistent, as they phrase the same question differently throughout just to test that you’re not guessing/trying to guess what they want to hear.
It took anywhere from 3 hours to 5 days to receive interview invites-they ask you to log in and book a slot.

Interviews
The first was for a new store not yet open, so was held in another store. I went in, having had a quick look around the place, handed my passport over to be photocopied and we sat down in the back. Went over a few details and then he asked me some questions.
-what appeals to you about boots specifically, why do you want to work there
boots employees know what they’re talking about unlike some other similar stores,---I don’t like being in a place where I am unable to help with what customers ask, obviously good training, good quality store, care about staff, really enjoy interacting with people
-do you have any relevant retail experience-what kinds of things did you do if so-----
I have retail experience so listed that
-tell me about a time you provided outstanding customer service in a stressful situation
-a time you made a mistake and learnt from it
-a time you went out of your way to help someone you didn’t know
-a time you went above and beyond to help someone

(all these questions are quite similar and overlap, but he stuck by the sheet and asked anyway even though I’d already covered them)
Then we went on to the shop floor. He carried on asking me questions here
-how would you deal with an angry customer---stay calm yourself, apologise, acknowledge their points, ask what they want done to resolve issue
-how would you want a customer to feel when you approach them----welcome, as if you want to help them, like they are valued-not humiliated/belittled
-how would you make a customer feel welcome---mimic their energy. This always seems to go down well-if they are a high energy, bubbly person-take yourself up to that point so they feel there is a connection. If they are calmer, do the same. Lots of smiles, reassurance etc
Then we watched customers and I had to point out who was a confident shopper and who might need help as they walked through the door. Customers were thin on the ground at this point so we also looked at customers already there. I had to explain why I gave my answers.
-anyone walking with a purpose into the store/on the phone seemed to be heading for meal deals-they were confident. A mum with a buggy came in at speed and made a beeline for the back-baby products-she was confident. A man who walked in and stopped to look up at the signs needed approaching, people looking at a range uncertainly also.

Then we went to find my chosen product-they didnt stock it, so I just talked without it there. Essentially I was just telling him about it, not so much ‘selling’ it, but you can do-I talked about packaging, key ingredients, that it was vegan, a good price, in a whole range etc. Then he asked how I would sell it to a mother with a young child-non toxic, safe around kids, fast and easy to use, cheap.

We were hoping more customers would come along but as they didn’t there was a very short section in which he observed me interacting-I just wandered round the store and said ‘hi, are you ok there?’ and most said yes thanks-one woman wanted to know where something was so I asked a member of staff.
Due to the lack of real interaction he then got me to ‘sell’ a product to a member of the team. I chose something I used again (could have been the same as before if I wanted) and just babbled on about it for a while, got her to smell it, said it was in travel size also etc etc.

Afterwards we went to the front of the store and he asked me to point out anything I think could be improved at all, walking round a few aisles. Then how I would tidy up an aisle, and what I’d do if I had a bit longer.
It took a full hour and I was told they’d contact me by email in 24-48 hours. I received a phone call offering me the position 2 days later.

As I was given interviews for all 5 applications I put in, I’d booked 2 others before the first interview.
I already knew I had the job for the first interview, but went along to the 2nd anyway.

This was a much more informal interview but again at a quiet time with few customers around. We went out to the back and said hello, discussed how hot it was in the room, she got someone to copy my passport and wrote down the date on the paper. Said we’d just go on to the floor and do some practical questions and they’d be very similar to what I’d been doing in my last role. There weren’t any questions like in the first interview’s ‘name a time when…’ or asking how I would react in various situations.

We went out to talk about my chosen product -again they didn’t have my product but I told her about it-I found it easier to do this with a woman than the first guy-she was more chatty and knew the product a bit better. With customers they respond to you talking so it felt kind of unnatural selling to the first interviewer as he was just writing everything down and not responding at all.

Following that we went to the shampoo section and she asked me how I’d approach a teenager who was picking up different products, how I’d want them to feel, what I’d ask them and how I’d help to find a suitable product.

With so few customers, we spend a minute looking at who was confident and not so confident, who might need approaching and so on. Then she asked where customers might want to be left alone (food section, feminine products).

Then to end we had a look at an aisle and she asked what I thought of it- I said it looked a bit messy – she asked how I’d improve it initially (pull things forwards, price tags correct) and if I had more time (restock everything, if possible move more popular items into eye level). I also said with so many spaces and gaps it reminded me of a bargain store, which wasn’t what they wanted as their image, but clearly they were moving the entire aisle-but she really liked that!

That was pretty much it really-we had a bit of a chat about where I’d been on my year abroad and general things, then said she would definitely call me later in the week. 5 hours later she rang to tell me I’d got the job!

I really hope this is of some use to people applying to Boots-I found a lot of useful info on here, just thought I’d try to update it a bit
luky
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thank you soo much which stores where these interviews for if you dont mind me asking
petromasha
Rep:
?
(Original post by luky)
thank you soo much which stores where these interviews for if you dont mind me asking
They were all central London stores
Swindon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I loved this informative post, give you a real insight into the Boots selection process. Thank you.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
luky
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by petromasha)
They were all central London stores

heyy can I ask how did you respond to this question? I wouldnt know what tosay "how I’d approach a teenager who was picking up different products, how I’d want them to feel, what I’d ask them and how I’d help to find a suitable product"
petromasha
Rep:
?
(Original post by luky)
heyy can I ask how did you respond to this question? I wouldnt know what tosay "how I’d approach a teenager who was picking up different products, how I’d want them to feel, what I’d ask them and how I’d help to find a suitable product"
Just don't over think it. You want them to feel at ease and comfortable asking advice. Ask general questions to find out what they want and advise them accordingly
Also, you had an interview at marylebone? That's just up the road from me, we walk up there for various store type things regularly. How did it go?
Minerva McGonagall
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok so I recently applied for 5 customer assistant positions in London with Boots and got through to the interview/assessment stage for all of them. I only went to the first two because I received job offers for both of them, but I’m hoping that this will be of some help to people tasking about the Boots assessment as there seem to be quite a few!

First off, the online application-I copied and pasted the ‘about me’ from my CV into the box asking if there was anything you wanted to tell them about you, and added a couple of lines about wantingto work for Boots. I received an email asking me to do the online assessment within minutes.

Online assessment-I only had to do one-once you’ve passed that’s it- you need to put yourself in the shoes of a customer and think about what you’d want from service. It’s all about being a team player, being considerate, putting the customer first, not being overly eager to find new ways to do things and being ok with not having a great deal of variety in your job-rules aren’t there to be broken, essentially! Be consistent, as they phrase the same question differently throughout just to test that you’re not guessing/trying to guess what they want to hear.
It took anywhere from 3 hours to 5 days to receive interview invites-they ask you to log in and book a slot.

Interviews
The first was for a new store not yet open, so was held in another store. I went in, having had a quick look around the place, handed my passport over to be photocopied and we sat down in the back. Went over a few details and then he asked me some questions.
-what appeals to you about boots specifically, why do you want to work there
boots employees know what they’re talking about unlike some other similar stores,---I don’t like being in a place where I am unable to help with what customers ask, obviously good training, good quality store, care about staff, really enjoy interacting with people
-do you have any relevant retail experience-what kinds of things did you do if so-----
I have retail experience so listed that
-tell me about a time you provided outstanding customer service in a stressful situation
-a time you made a mistake and learnt from it
-a time you went out of your way to help someone you didn’t know
-a time you went above and beyond to help someone

(all these questions are quite similar and overlap, but he stuck by the sheet and asked anyway even though I’d already covered them)
Then we went on to the shop floor. He carried on asking me questions here
-how would you deal with an angry customer---stay calm yourself, apologise, acknowledge their points, ask what they want done to resolve issue
-how would you want a customer to feel when you approach them----welcome, as if you want to help them, like they are valued-not humiliated/belittled
-how would you make a customer feel welcome---mimic their energy. This always seems to go down well-if they are a high energy, bubbly person-take yourself up to that point so they feel there is a connection. If they are calmer, do the same. Lots of smiles, reassurance etc
Then we watched customers and I had to point out who was a confident shopper and who might need help as they walked through the door. Customers were thin on the ground at this point so we also looked at customers already there. I had to explain why I gave my answers.
-anyone walking with a purpose into the store/on the phone seemed to be heading for meal deals-they were confident. A mum with a buggy came in at speed and made a beeline for the back-baby products-she was confident. A man who walked in and stopped to look up at the signs needed approaching, people looking at a range uncertainly also.

Then we went to find my chosen product-they didnt stock it, so I just talked without it there. Essentially I was just telling him about it, not so much ‘selling’ it, but you can do-I talked about packaging, key ingredients, that it was vegan, a good price, in a whole range etc. Then he asked how I would sell it to a mother with a young child-non toxic, safe around kids, fast and easy to use, cheap.

We were hoping more customers would come along but as they didn’t there was a very short section in which he observed me interacting-I just wandered round the store and said ‘hi, are you ok there?’ and most said yes thanks-one woman wanted to know where something was so I asked a member of staff.
Due to the lack of real interaction he then got me to ‘sell’ a product to a member of the team. I chose something I used again (could have been the same as before if I wanted) and just babbled on about it for a while, got her to smell it, said it was in travel size also etc etc.

Afterwards we went to the front of the store and he asked me to point out anything I think could be improved at all, walking round a few aisles. Then how I would tidy up an aisle, and what I’d do if I had a bit longer.
It took a full hour and I was told they’d contact me by email in 24-48 hours. I received a phone call offering me the position 2 days later.

As I was given interviews for all 5 applications I put in, I’d booked 2 others before the first interview.
I already knew I had the job for the first interview, but went along to the 2nd anyway.

This was a much more informal interview but again at a quiet time with few customers around. We went out to the back and said hello, discussed how hot it was in the room, she got someone to copy my passport and wrote down the date on the paper. Said we’d just go on to the floor and do some practical questions and they’d be very similar to what I’d been doing in my last role. There weren’t any questions like in the first interview’s ‘name a time when…’ or asking how I would react in various situations.

We went out to talk about my chosen product -again they didn’t have my product but I told her about it-I found it easier to do this with a woman than the first guy-she was more chatty and knew the product a bit better. With customers they respond to you talking so it felt kind of unnatural selling to the first interviewer as he was just writing everything down and not responding at all.

Following that we went to the shampoo section and she asked me how I’d approach a teenager who was picking up different products, how I’d want them to feel, what I’d ask them and how I’d help to find a suitable product.

With so few customers, we spend a minute looking at who was confident and not so confident, who might need approaching and so on. Then she asked where customers might want to be left alone (food section, feminine products).

Then to end we had a look at an aisle and she asked what I thought of it- I said it looked a bit messy – she asked how I’d improve it initially (pull things forwards, price tags correct) and if I had more time (restock everything, if possible move more popular items into eye level). I also said with so many spaces and gaps it reminded me of a bargain store, which wasn’t what they wanted as their image, but clearly they were moving the entire aisle-but she really liked that!

That was pretty much it really-we had a bit of a chat about where I’d been on my year abroad and general things, then said she would definitely call me later in the week. 5 hours later she rang to tell me I’d got the job!

I really hope this is of some use to people applying to Boots-I found a lot of useful info on here, just thought I’d try to update it a bit

This was brilliant thanks I got a job in my preferred boots store but I have an interview booked in another store, how do I cancel this?
petromasha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Minerva McGonagall)
This was brilliant thanks I got a job in my preferred boots store but I have an interview booked in another store, how do I cancel this?
Ring the recruitment line and ask them to withdraw you. congrats
Google4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had my interview yesterday at London Cannon Street for a Saturday position at Charing Cross. I know there were a few people going for it in the waiting room and I felt that I did quite well so I am hoping I get it, how quickly to the respond to you after the interview. She told me she would get back to me via email and to keep an eye on them, she seemed quite keen I am just worried she'll forget about me!
petromasha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caina)
I had my interview yesterday at London Cannon Street for a Saturday position at Charing Cross. I know there were a few people going for it in the waiting room and I felt that I did quite well so I am hoping I get it, how quickly to the respond to you after the interview. She told me she would get back to me via email and to keep an eye on them, she seemed quite keen I am just worried she'll forget about me!
My first interview for a new store was held in Cannon Street-tiny isn't it? They say they'll email you but if you're successful you get a phone call first, then an email offer. Unsuccessful and you get an email with 'Confidential' as the subject.

They know who they are looking for, they are making notes of everything as you go along so you won't be forgotten. While I was in the back room there, on the day masses of interviews were happening, there was a form on the table from someone before me with a big 'NO' scrawled at the top. They know what they're looking for, but I can't say how long as they normally give a time. Can't see it taking longer than a week but they will always respond-so if you haven't had an email pretty quickly I'd be hopeful - especially as you seem confident and that's a good sign in itself
tamimi
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Caina)
"How long" depends on the managers of that store/how many applicants there are/how badly they're under-staffed.

Usually around a week, but up-to three.

When accepted, the manager contacts you before the HR Nottingham people. Thus, you receive an email from the manager, or more commonly, a phone call, before receiving the "Congrats" email from Boots. You then get the job offer by post which you have to sign+fill the HMRC form.
Tip: Photocopy your contract before sending it off. It's very informative and contains a lot of tips on topics such as holidays and pay etc.

And as pointed out before, if you're unsuccessful, you get an email titled "Confidential".

Good luck
Google4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My first interview for a new store was held in Cannon Street-tiny isn't it? They say they'll email you but if you're successful you get a phone call first, then an email offer. Unsuccessful and you get an email with 'Confidential' as the subject.

They know who they are looking for, they are making notes of everything as you go along so you won't be forgotten. While I was in the back room there, on the day masses of interviews were happening, there was a form on the table from someone before me with a big 'NO' scrawled at the top. They know what they're looking for, but I can't say how long as they normally give a time. Can't see it taking longer than a week but they will always respond-so if you haven't had an email pretty quickly I'd be hopeful - especially as you seem confident and that's a good sign in itself
Yeah, they have yet to email me so my hopes are still high. I am constantly checking my BB for emails now though!
I'm just wondering if they do the recruitment side of things over the weekend or if I have to wait until next week!
Cannon street was TINY. She asked me what I would advise her to buy for her grandmother and I went straight to the perfume section, there was like no gift sets or anything else gift-related!
Google4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by tamimi)
"How long" depends on the managers of that store/how many applicants there are/how badly they're under-staffed.

When accepted, the manager contacts you before the HR Nottingham people. Thus, you receive an email from the manager, or more commonly, a phone call, before receiving the "Congrats" email from Boots. You then get the job offer by post which you have to sign+fill the HMRC form.
Tip: Photocopy your contract before sending it off. It's very informative and contains a lot of tips on topics such as holidays and pay etc.

And as pointed out before, if you're unsuccessful, you get an email titled "Confidential".

Good luck

Yeah, I'll definitely keep a copy if I do get it. I read up on things like 22% staff discount on boots branded products and holidays online. Thanks for your help!
tamimi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Caina)
Yeah, I'll definitely keep a copy if I do get it. I read up on things like 22% staff discount on boots branded products and holidays online. Thanks for your help!
22.5% Boots stuff only. Other stuff are 12.5% and you only get it after some amount of time of working there. I think it's something like 3 months or such.
Google4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They still haven't got back to me and it is five days today! Does this mean I haven't got it? Do they definitely get back to you if you do not get it?
Minerva McGonagall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Good luck

Hi, I got my contract etc through the post today but the envelope was ripped (because of the rain). Any chance you could tell me all the things you got in it? I think the person who gave me the job said there would be 2 booklets (boots and me and another one) is this correct as I have only received boots and me
Thanks
tamimi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Minerva McGonagall)
Hi, I got my contract etc through the post today but the envelope was ripped (because of the rain). Any chance you could tell me all the things you got in it? I think the person who gave me the job said there would be 2 booklets (boots and me and another one) is this correct as I have only received boots and me
Thanks
I only got Boots and Me (Which is grammatically incorrect as it should be "Boots and I" and I wrote to headoffice many times about it :albertein:) + My contract + Some leaflets on charity things + P45/P60 form

The only other booklet you get is the pension one but that comes through in 2 months after employment.

Unless you applied to boots pharmacy/boots optician in which case you receive a few extra documents.
tamimi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Caina)
They still haven't got back to me and it is five days today! Does this mean I haven't got it? Do they definitely get back to you if you do not get it?
That doesn't mean anything. 5 days is barely any time. They can take up to 3 weeks and even if you're rejected, you still receive an email from Boots. Sit tight.
Minerva McGonagall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I only got Boots and Me (Which is grammatically incorrect as it should be "Boots and I" and I wrote to headoffice many times about it :albertein:) + My contract + Some leaflets on charity things + P45/P60 form

The only other booklet you get is the pension one but that comes through in 2 months after employment.

Unless you applied to boots pharmacy/boots optician in which case you receive a few extra documents.
Haha, that is quite irritating :')
Thank you, I was told I was going to get an Induction Workbook but I rang the recruitment line and they said they don't send them out anymore
petromasha
Rep:
?
(Original post by Caina)
you will definitely get an email if you don't get it. It can be much longer than 5 days and often unsuccessful emails are sent out pretty quickly, much quicker than phone calls
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (64)
61.54%
No (40)
38.46%

Watched Threads