The Student Room Group

Aqa comp 4 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
So close to the first milestone; fifty pages. Finally feels like I'm getting something done. :redface:
Reply 81
Original post by Damask-
So close to the first milestone; fifty pages. Finally feels like I'm getting something done. :redface:

Nice! What are those tables on pages 13, 15 & 17, and how far through are you? I've just done 20 pages for analysis.

Databases :frown:. I keep getting to 2NF and then giving up, going to do something else and starting again after.

I don't think that there's been any question that asks you to completely normalise a database. If they ask about it, then it'll try to guide you to the answer in steps.
Reply 82
Original post by D-Box
Nice! What are those tables on pages 13, 15 & 17, and how far through are you? I've just done 20 pages for analysis.

I don't think that there's been any question that asks you to completely normalise a database. If they ask about it, then it'll try to guide you to the answer in steps.

They're volumetric data dictionaries! The most ridiculously painstaking tables to have ever graced the earth. I'm about half way through design, and my analysis was 29 pages, which I'll probably add more to because I didn't write enough for some sections.

I'm not worrying about the exam questions, I'm trying to normalise the tables for my project. :frown: Silly databases.
Hello fellow computing students!! I have finally found the thread :ninja:

I am doing a HTML interpreter which will check for errors etc. Haven't handed in my full analysis in yet but should be doing so this week! :biggrin:

How is everyone else doing?
Reply 84
Original post by andyator55
Hello fellow computing students!! I have finally found the thread :ninja:

I am doing a HTML interpreter which will check for errors etc. Haven't handed in my full analysis in yet but should be doing so this week! :biggrin:

How is everyone else doing?

Hi! :biggrin: That's a cool project idea, what language are you doing it in?

You're so lucky that you're just coming up to your analysis deadline haha, our design one is on Friday and no-one's is going to be ready. I'm at 67 pages and ~8000 words but it always seems like there are a million more things I have to do. :s-smilie:
Original post by Damask-

You're so lucky that you're just coming up to your analysis deadline haha, our design one is on Friday and no-one's is going to be ready. I'm at 67 pages and ~8000 words but it always seems like there are a million more things I have to do. :s-smilie:

I know the feeling! :s

I'm writing it in C# with some javascript for displaying the HTML files. How about you?

I've only just done around 20 pages for my analysis :s My design is going to be the biggest part so i'm hoping it'll pick up some extra marks.

What is your project idea? :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by andyator55
I know the feeling! :s

I'm writing it in C# with some javascript for displaying the HTML files. How about you?

I've only just done around 20 pages for my analysis :s My design is going to be the biggest part so i'm hoping it'll pick up some extra marks.

What is your project idea? :smile:

Mine's a quiz generator and question bank which parses questions so they can be exported to Moodle, written in vb.net with a mysql database. My design deadline was today but we're allowed to carry on with it for a while because it wasn't official even though our implementation deadline is December 10th. (Completed design was around 50 pages, ugh.)
Original post by Damask-
Mine's a quiz generator and question bank which parses questions so they can be exported to Moodle, written in vb.net with a mysql database. My design deadline was today but we're allowed to carry on with it for a while because it wasn't official even though our implementation deadline is December 10th. (Completed design was around 50 pages, ugh.)

Sounds good!! I was going to do some form of teaching aid but I just didn't have any ideas. :P It's a shame more examples of projects are not available. Would have made the whole thing a lot easier.
Reply 88
I've had to restart my whole project - turns out my old project (I think I mentioned it on page 1 or 2) would be complicated, but not complex in the exam board sense - my teachers offered up timetabling as a possible alternative that was similar, but I've heard enough about timetabling problems that I wouldn't even know where to go and I know it wouldn't work! So i've decided on doing steganography/digital watermarking for photos that are being put up on the school site :smile:
Reply 89
I've decided to make an educational game using javascript, but my teacher told me that using JS game engines would reduce the difficulty of my project which won't enable me to get top marks. I have half the mind to change my project and make a database because it's easier, but I've already done the analysis and I'm halfway through my design for this game. >_<

I don't know what to do right now.
Original post by Damask-

what the ****?? I'm at 38 pages and 9000 words..xD half way through design. SOOO LONG OMG. Somehow I enjoy this but there are times when you're about to do a little bit more work and then yer just like ahhk i'll just do this tomorrow T_T
Reply 91
Maybe I should start writing the analysis soon...

Got "most" of the program working now though, which might make writing up a bit easier, seems to be how I do most coursework, finish the product then write it up xD
Reply 92
Original post by pixelfrag
what the ****?? I'm at 38 pages and 9000 words..xD half way through design. SOOO LONG OMG. Somehow I enjoy this but there are times when you're about to do a little bit more work and then yer just like ahhk i'll just do this tomorrow T_T

I have so many diagrams it's hilarious, they really bulk it out. :wink: And that sounds very similar to how I've been procrastinating too, 'tomorrow' has yet to arrive in the case of most of the things I need to do...
Reply 93
Original post by iCiaran
Maybe I should start writing the analysis soon...

Got "most" of the program working now though, which might make writing up a bit easier, seems to be how I do most coursework, finish the product then write it up xD

I can't believe you're allowed to do that, I wish we could but everyone who hasn't met the deadlines for analysis and design so far with a minimum number of pages is facing disciplinary action!
Reply 94
Original post by Damask-
I can't believe you're allowed to do that, I wish we could but everyone who hasn't met the deadlines for analysis and design so far with a minimum number of pages is facing disciplinary action!

Our teachers off on paternity leave at the moment, and he's leaving after christmas, so that could be part of it.

Although I kinda wish there was some kind of consequence for not doing it, would give me a bit of motivation xD
Original post by Damask-
I have so many diagrams it's hilarious, they really bulk it out. :wink: And that sounds very similar to how I've been procrastinating too, 'tomorrow' has yet to arrive in the case of most of the things I need to do...

It's really funny I said that actually! I got to near the end of my Design stage today and I'm at 12,000 words and 42 pages, I think i'll be reaching somewhere around your figure when I'm done xD I have about 20 forms as well, so that's a lot of screenshots/scanning in to still put in!

I should be able to write my actual program in a few days (we get till February to do this xD) Thank god for prior programming experience :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by pixelfrag
I should be able to write my actual program in a few days (we get till February to do this xD) Thank god for prior programming experience :tongue:

Ours have to be ready for demonstration by the w/c December 10th.

I hate my life.
Original post by Damask-
Ours have to be ready for demonstration by the w/c December 10th.

I hate my life.

holy **** that's a week and a half left O_O good luck! feel free to pm if you need any help, am quite proficient in vb.net (:
Reply 98
You guys are ridiculously lucky. At my college we have to hand everything in on the 20th december.
This would be okay, except I have IT coursework which also has to be in on 20th :rolleyes:

I don't know if theyre scaring us into getting as much complete as possible so we dont leave it until the last minute next year, but...
My so called 'Head of Computing' is the most useless woman I have ever met. She takes us for 3.5 hours a week in which we mainly do project work. I handed her my analysis 3 weeks ago after which she said she'd 'have a look at it'.. 3 weeks later and still no feedback even after constant pestering.. :frown:

Oh well let the design begin..

Quick Reply

Latest