Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ne1 know the difference between windows xp home and window xp professional???

ReputationRep:
    Look here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...on/default.asp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    one costs more i gather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pollo Loco)
    Look here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...on/default.asp
    thnx but does ne1 see any reason y a 17 year old might need xp professional instead?

i have win xp prof, but then again i run a chatspace teen server and am a packet kiddie not that that makes a lot of diff but it has its uses

ReputationRep:
    You only really need XP pro for if you're planning to setup some kind of server.

ReputationRep:
    thnx but does ne1 see any reason y a 17 year old might need xp professional instead?
    no, just get xp home. or just stick with your old system for a while longer, xp isnt that much of an advance.

ReputationRep:
    no, you won't even be able to tell the difference unless your a complete nerd boy. My server runs off xp home and the others using xp pro purly because i can't be arsed changing the ox on my server. XP pro is only needed for insane complex networks and servers etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    You only really need XP pro for if you're planning to setup some kind of server.
    .. and even then you should use a server OS, like windows 2000, 2003, or one of the many excellent open source OS's (my fave is FreeBSD)

ReputationRep:
    I believe XP Pro has built in encryption tools (I think...) but quite why anyone would trust MS with anything involving security is beyond me.

Also, and IMO far more usefully, it has Remote Desktop. It means I can leave my uni computer on, and connect to it remotely if I go home and get files off it, access uni network etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    Both i'd say are a load of rubbish, when at school anyway, the school computers have updated their systems FINALLY buts its so crap, they've RM filtered everything, Wat the hells the point of xp then.
    Anyway soz i don't know the difference between the two.

ReputationRep:
    Always go for the best....cant go wrong there except it costs that little bit more!!!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.