Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does everyone have an LCD/flat screen monitor? I want one but not sure how much they cost!?!?!
    Sxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelzland)
    Does everyone have an LCD/flat screen monitor? I want one but not sure how much they cost!?!?!
    Sxxx
    They are expensive at the moment as transistors are not the cheapest they have been. You will be looking at £200 for a 15" model these days. If you wait to the summer they should fall to £150, then £100 by summer 2005.

ReputationRep:
    I have a nice CRT monitor.

ReputationRep:
    Here's some info from pcworld but they're probably not the best prices.
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...4&tm=undefined Sorry, link doesn't work, just go to pcworld.co.uk, computers, monitors, flatscreen
    Once you've found one you like try putting it in on a price compare website like http://uk.pricerunner.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelzland)
    Sxxx
    CRT monitors are crappy I have a lovely digital Apple cinema display. It's amazingly sharp and has really cool touch controls, and looks sweeet. Watching HDTV on this baby is fantastic. It's not cheap though.

ReputationRep:
    I got a 17" TFT for £210 last summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    CRT monitors are crappy I have a lovely digital Apple cinema display. It's amazingly sharp and has really cool touch controls, and looks sweeet. Watching HDTV on this baby is fantastic. It's not cheap though.
    I'm afraid you are mistaken, CRT monitors have a much higher definition than LCD, the image quality of my 19" out performs a 19" 800 pound LCD monitor, most LCD monitor response time cannot cope with high frame rates in comparison to CRT(mostly the 15" and 17"). The viewing angle of an LCD is limited and the most annoying thing you can have in an LCD monitor is a dropped pixel which once you noticed it you cannot avoid it or keep your eye of it. In a few years time a new breed of monitor will come out which are much cheaper than LCD's and better than CRT's, OLED screens are brighter, thinner and have a higher resolution than LCD monitors at a fraction of the cost.

ReputationRep:
    the apple 23" cinema display is a work of beauty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    Beauty comes at a cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I got a 17" TFT for £210 last summer.
    That would cost more like £300 now, they have really shot up in the last few months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Beauty comes at a cost.
    Thats true, it costs bout the same as i'm intending to spend on my whole computer for uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    That would cost more like £300 now, they have really shot up in the last few months.
    whats the reason for that? i thought technology generally gets cheaper over time....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    whats the reason for that? i thought technology generally gets cheaper over time....
    The demand for them out weights the supply? Could be one of the reasons why they are more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    Its partly as Sastien says.

What happens in the transistor industry (remember a TFT monitor has many millions of them) is that prices are high so facotries open up producing them in the mass production, then there is over supply so praces fall, then becuase of these factories decide to stop making the parts thus demand more than meets supply so prices are pushed back up. Pretty soon more facotires will be getting on the act so the prices will fall. Generaly prices always fall but it only once the market reaches maturity, at the moment TFT monitors are still a bit of a luxery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    I'm afraid you are mistaken, CRT monitors have a much higher definition than LCD, the image quality of my 19" out performs a 19" 800 pound LCD monitor, most LCD monitor response time cannot cope with high frame rates in comparison to CRT(mostly the 15" and 17"). The viewing angle of an LCD is limited and the most annoying thing you can have in an LCD monitor is a dropped pixel which once you noticed it you cannot avoid it or keep your eye of it. In a few years time a new breed of monitor will come out which are much cheaper than LCD's and better than CRT's, OLED screens are brighter, thinner and have a higher resolution than LCD monitors at a fraction of the cost.
    I never said LCD was in general better than CRT. However, I am fairly sure that my apple cinema display outperforms your CRT (obviously not on the cost front though) Dead pixels on LCDs are annoying if you get them.

EDIT : I didn't mean for my comment about CRTs being crappy to be taken seriously. Obviously, for certain tasks they are essential. But the good ones need a much much longer tube, and so wouldn't even fit on my desk. And they're ugly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    Indeed, I typed my first post on one, in all of its 1920 X 1200 glory. Alas, I'm back at school now and am reduced to a meagre 19" Dell digital flat panel instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Its partly as Sastien says.

What happens in the transistor industry (remember a TFT monitor has many millions of them) is that prices are high so facotries open up producing them in the mass production, then there is over supply so praces fall, then becuase of these factories decide to stop making the parts thus demand more than meets supply so prices are pushed back up. Pretty soon more facotires will be getting on the act so the prices will fall. Generaly prices always fall but it only once the market reaches maturity, at the moment TFT monitors are still a bit of a luxery.
    i agree they're really nice but not worth the price right now. I'll wait a bit before i get one.

Apparently the reason large LCDs are so expensive is that alot of screens they produce have faults in a few pixels so they have to bin them. As the screen size doubles the number of transistors is multiplied by 4 so theres a much higher chance of faulty pixels and many more have to be binned.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.