Girls underestimating their size. Watch

Bellissima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by llessur123)
So it is physically impossible for her to be under a size 14? Lol, **** one for her. This has diverted completely from my original point so I'm leaving it here.
she is size 14.
llessur123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by desdemonata)
How so? My whole body shape has to do with the fact that I'm very short and yet have wide hips. Sometimes it looks curvy and others dumpy, depending mainly on what I'm wearing and the fit of my clothes. But if for example you're tall and slim - well that's your body shape isn't it, tall and slim, rather than short and slim.

I got what you were saying earlier about how measurements are the same in the same sizes; bleugh buying jeans means I get my size 8-10 but the legs are way too long :unimpressed:, but you lost me there.
You have large hips because you have large hips, not because of your height. I'm not talking about how the person looks but how they fit into clothes and their proportions. Obviously I'm not including leg length in this but typical measurements of bust, waist and hips. We're talking about clothing here.
alis-volatpropriis
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ayresss)
I'm only 5'2" and usually a size 8-10, depending on the shop, but if I get bottoms from Primark, I have to get a size 12, which is soul destroying, because I'm definitely definitely not a size 12!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
You're making size 12 sound as if it's size 26. Primark are well known for vanity sizing, the bottoms are nearly always smaller measurements than the standard size 8. As done with other sizes, in both male and female departments, even children clothes
-.-

If it bothers you so much why not go and shop in next or river island, where you can proudly flash your size 8-10 label at the sales assistants.

if you end up getting pregnant, I doubt you'll maintain your size 8-10 figure for the whole 9 months and the aftermath.
UniMastermindBOSS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kate1212)
I went out recently and a friend of mine congratulated me on my weight loss and said 'So what are you now? Like a size 8!?'. I'm not at all, I'm a size 12 (10 in a forgiving shop). This set me wondering as to why she had underestimated my size so much and I realised (after some other stuff she said) that it's because she underestimates her own size. She squeezes herself into a ten when she's more like a 12/14 and that's why she assumed I must be so much smaller.
I have many other friends that do the same and I just don't get it. If you're a size 14 who buys a size 14 you'll look lovely, if you're a size 14 who buys a size 10 you'll probably look 10x bigger than you are and look horrible.
I know it doesn't affect me as such but it does annoy me. Nobody has to know your size. Why do it?!
Please, tell these people to stop!

Name:  41783_116824318334175_3980219_n.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  9.4 KB

:puke:
llessur123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alis-volatpropriis)
There's different in measurements.. :/
A 5ft girl would have smaller leg measurements than a 6ft girl.
Hence why some stores have sections labelled as "short girls" and "tall girls"

I can't buy jeans in primark, even though they fit me around the waist. They are not my length, it's like wearing Michael Jackson trousers.. They are way above my ankle. Because i'm taller than the average women, while stores like primark and the occasional H&M have the average height as their target Market.

The difference in measurements, could make a smaller size 14 girl look significantly bigger than a taller girl. Obviously because of the proportions and the distribution of muscle and fat.

Just because 2 girls may be the same "dress size" they will definitely be different measurements and size differences.

I'm guessing that's why you got negged.
I'm not talking about leg length, clearly that is different in height. I'm talking about measurements of bust, waist and hips.

Two girls of the same clothes size will not have different bust/waist/hip measurements, they wouldn't be the same size if they did.
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't understand this underestimating...

If I don't fit into a pair of jeans, I try the next bigger size, I don't buy the first size and engage in a battle to the death over trying to put it on...

While I'm not a woman, surely they don't think like this either... If for whatever reason, they do buy the first size, it would more likely be because they don't want to admit being a larger size thinking, if they can fit into it, into a size a thin person wears, that they think they are as thin....
llessur123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bellissima)
she is size 14.
I know...
alis-volatpropriis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not talking about leg length, clearly that is different in height. I'm talking about measurements of bust, waist and hips.

Two girls of the same clothes size will not have different bust/waist/hip measurements, they wouldn't be the same size if they did.
Measurements, in terms of bust, waist and hips. Isn't still clear, measurements are all over the map, which begs the question that if manufactures cannot agree on what measurements officially constitutes on a size 10/12/14 whatever..

Then it's hard to say for sure that every size 14 has the same measurements. In theory yes, in practice i don't think so.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what measurements, constitute for what size.
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You have large hips because you have large hips, not because of your height. I'm not talking about how the person looks but how they fit into clothes and their proportions. Obviously I'm not including leg length in this but typical measurements of bust, waist and hips. We're talking about clothing here.
Hmm what I meant was, how is height not relevant to your body shape? Slightly off-topic but I don't get how height can't inherently affect body shape
Teatania
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bust size is a major factor in buying women's clothes. If I buy, say a dress, in a size 12 it'll be perfect for my hips and waist my boobs will be spilling over. If I get a size 14 I'll be fine on top but look like I'm in a tent below. Nothing to be done about cleavage though. Seems to be a constant in everything I wear which can give the wrong impressions at job interviews, work placements etc. Stupid boobs.
Beckiix
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I feel bad for people who wear clothes that don't fit, or choose clothes that are completely the wrong style for their body. I'm lucky to have a fairly curvy (actual boobs and hips, not fat) hourglass figure which is fine, most of the time but trousers are a big no for me because they just accentuate my larger hips. So knowing this, I avoid jeans like the plague and focus on dresses and skirts that are more forgiving, rather than getting sad at the fact I wear a size 8/10 dress but then have to creep up to a size 12/14 jean!

Make the most of what you've got instead of trying to squeeze into a size 10.
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zaf47)
I do agree with you actually. In an ideal world people wouldn't need to feel like they have to fit into smaller clothes than the ones that fit them. Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world so as long as you feel confident as a person with what you're wearing, that's what's important in my view because the media are just going to keep feeding us images of skinny women and making us feel inadequate.
I know, it's so depressing I'm aware of it and don't like it, and yet I'm still affected, no matter how hard I try not to be. It's so hard to escape something that's literally everywhere you look.
llessur123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alis-volatpropriis)
Measurements, in terms of bust, waist and hips. Isn't still clear, measurements are all over the map, which begs the question that if manufactures cannot agree on what measurements officially constitutes on a size 10/12/14 whatever..

Then it's hard to say for sure that every size 14 has the same measurements. In theory yes, in practice i don't think so.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what measurements, constitute for what size.
There isn't much difference, maybe an inch at most between different manufactures. Two size 14 will pretty much be the same size. This wasn't my point though, I'm talking about height in relation to clothing size.
Zaf47
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know, it's so depressing I'm aware of it and don't like it, and yet I'm still affected, no matter how hard I try not to be. It's so hard to escape something that's literally everywhere you look.
Precisely how I feel. It's like I'm constantly fighting two battles: one where I'm just trying to feel comfortable with myself as I am and another one that thinks I won't be truly comfortable until other people 'approve' of the way I look.

I HATE that second thought so much but it's been ingrained in me. Trying to get rid of it is like trying to stop breathing... it's driving me insane as the moment.
llessur123
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm what I meant was, how is height not relevant to your body shape? Slightly off-topic but I don't get how height can't inherently affect body shape
Height affects how tall you are, not your body shape or your clothing size. I'm not saying tall and small people don't look different, they do. What I'm saying is height is not a factor in what clothing size you are or what your measurements are. This thread is about clothing after all.
desdemonata
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Height affects how tall you are, not your body shape or your clothing size. I'm not saying tall and small people don't look different, they do. What I'm saying is height is not a factor in what clothing size you are or what your measurements are. This thread is about clothing after all.
Fair enough.
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's probably because so many shops now have crazy vanity sizing. When I was 15 I was a size 10 in most things, now 8 years later I'm about a stone heavier and even some size 8's are too big on me, but the size 10 clothes I used to wear (hideous bootcut jeans anyone?!) are tight! I can understand the joy when someone who is say a size 14 technically can find a dress in a size 10 that fits, and therefore she wants to believe she is a size 10 in everything..
sammy-lou
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm guilty of this. As someone who's never been totally comfortable with her body, for me it used to be an absolute killer to buy an item of clothing in 12+

It shouldn't be that way, but I think there's a lot of pressure when you're growing up to remain looking the same way at 16 as you did at 13 for example, and it's just unrealistic. I didn't like going from being a size 8 all the time, to being anything from an 8 - 14 depending on where I shopped. It doesn't matter how many 8s I might fit in to, it's the one larger size I have to buy which plays on my mind!

It is stupid, because at the end of the day sizing is so inconsistent that it really doesn't mean a whole lot, and even if it did mean anything, why should it matter? Sadly it's just something that girls put a whole lot of emphasis on!
Lucia.
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have a size 12 pair of hipster jeans. I am generally that size top and bottom. However when I go to some shops, the jeans aren't cut for a more voluptuous figure and I have to buy bigger to fit my butt into them. The clothes in my wardrobe range from size 8 to 14. I have real trouble finding tops which fit my boobs without being baggy at the waist so I have to go smaller on that too or get a cinched in belt.
rock_climber86
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by pseudonymegg)
Attachment 163862
the two ladies' in that pic are gross looking!

as for OP - i guess women say such stuff because truth hurts or something? After all most women want to hear how good and perfect they are ...no wants to hear they're a bit fat or heavy or a size too big blah blah.

If you feel fat or want to wear size 8/10 then exercise. Stop kidding yourselves and trying to get a size 10 you fit into in a so called 'vanity shop'. Didn't even know such things existed! :eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (106)
17.76%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.3%
Not great so far... (212)
35.51%
I want to drop out! (116)
19.43%

Watched Threads