3. 60gb instead of 40gb
    4. dvd burner

total u would pay extra?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you need the extra juice anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    wanna buy a laptop...just wondering whether exra cost is worth the extra stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    To download a greater quantity of certain files and at a more efficent rate perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    To download a greater quantity of certain files and at a more efficent rate perhaps?
    Downloading has nothing to do with processing power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Ii would love sum sort of estimate rather than a little arguement between u two :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    How much money would you comp experts for a laptop pay extra for:
    1. athlon 3000 instead of athlon 2600
    2. xp professional instead of home
    3. 60gb instead of 40gb
    4. dvd burner

total u would pay extra?
    You are looking at:

1) athlon 3000 vs athlon 2600 mobile-£60 difference

2) Upgrade on Home: £30

3) £30-40

4) £60

The 3rd one I'm not completely sure about, but the rest are component pricves based on an upgrade from teh specific price. ie WinXP home = £50, and WinXP Pro = £80 so I wrote £30.

So roughly about £180-200

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I was also referring to storage space on the better PC.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're a developer then you really don't need XP Pro, I am developer and Home is 100% fine for me, buying Pro would be like burning money.

As the XP at the moment the 2400 works out much better value for money than the 3000. Also I think the 3000 used the Barton core which will require a better motherboard. My PC is

Amd Althlon 20000
    512MB RAM
    80GB HD

It takes 10 seconds to boot up from stwitch on to XP.

ReputationRep:
    I paid £42 two weeks ago for my 80GB Hitachi Hard drive. The 40GB models were £35 so the 40gb drives are flase econemey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)

Amd Althlon 20000
    512MB RAM
    80GB HD

It takes 10 seconds to boot up from stwitch on to XP.
    Athlon 20000? Wow, no wonder it took 10 seconds. :rolleyes:

Mine is slow as grandpaw on sleeping pills. 1 minute was the best i could muster, and it is a Intel 2.6, 512MB as well.

ReputationRep:
    I paid £42 two weeks ago for my 80GB Hitachi Hard drive. The 40GB models were £35 so the 40gb drives are flase econemey.
    So is my estimate in the right area? They should be.

ReputationRep:
    Amd Althlon 20000
    wow. do you work for AMD R&D then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Athlon 20000? Wow, no wonder it took 10 seconds. :rolleyes:

Mine is slow as grandpaw on sleeping pills. 1 minute was the best i could muster, and it is a Intel 2.6, 512MB as well.
    Lol I meant 2000+ (1.66ghz). Loads of things could be effecting your performance. I have a fast 7200RPM hard drive this makes a hige difference. My RAM is the fastest type of DDR on the market. Also I have only got my hard drive two weeks ago so its a fresh format. My BIOS is also set to quik boot as well.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're a developer then you really don't need XP Pro, I am developer and Home is 100% fine for me, buying Pro would be like burning money.
    Oh dear, are you calling XP a development O/S??! You need Linux, my friend! Pop along to http://www.linuxfromscratch.org and build your own Linux system purely from sources! It's great fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Oh dear, are you calling XP a development O/S??! You need Linux, my friend! Pop along to http://www.linuxfromscratch.org and build your own Linux system purely from sources! It's great fun!
    TV Star! RESPECT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bono)
    TV Star! RESPECT!
    Huh? Please explain! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    So modest!!!

You were on stage last night!

Big it up to Hayden! RESPECT!

ReputationRep:
    But XP is used in networking environments and in certain instances Windows XP can be great. My mate runs a Windows XP web server and its not gone down once since he started in September.

If you're developing windows applications then you need Windows to produce them. I guess you could write the code in a linux text editor but it would be pointless .

ReputationRep:
    How would I go about safely installing Linux on my PC without having to mess with my windows partition? I mean is there anyway of adding an extra partitiion? I have one big 80gb at the moment, I could easily get Linux on there as a duel boot setup.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.