Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by rahaydenuk)
    Oh dear, are you calling XP a development O/S??! You need Linux, my friend! Pop along to http://www.linuxfromscratch.org and build your own Linux system purely from sources! It's great fun!
    he would not need linux

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    How would I go about safely installing Linux on my PC without having to mess with my windows partition? I mean is there anyway of adding an extra partitiion? I have one big 80gb at the moment, I could easily get Linux on there as a duel boot setup.
    PartitionMagic is probably your safest bet (I've used it many times and never had a problem), but always ensure you backup anything of value before you do such things. Distibutions like Mandrake/SuSE etc. are clever enough to detect your Windows partition and set you up with a boot menu appropriately. LFS (which I mentioned earlier) probably isn't such a good idea for your first brush with Linux!

Good luck!

build your own Linux system purely from sources! It's great fun!
    If a little time consuming !!! Why not try customizing Red Hat instead?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    If a little time consuming !!! Why not try customizing Red Hat instead?!?
    Yes admittedly it is that. I've been building my LFS over the past couple of months bit-by-bit, it's nearly bootable now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes admittedly it is that. I've been building my LFS over the past couple of months bit-by-bit, it's nearly bootable now.
    I replied to your PM

I wouldn't have patience to do it. I have a friend who developed his own from open source, from what I could summize he was basically recreating osX (very poorly)!!! He eventually gave up and went back to XP *cough*crap*cough*...

ReputationRep:
    I once coded a shell for DOS when I was 14. It could create directories and delete files, it was actually quite pretty for its day. The only problem with it is I coded it in QBASIC and it was very very slow. Also it had more bugs than a spannish resort.

There is no way I could an operating system.

(Original post by piginapoke)
    I see rahaydenuk is writing an OS. Is it really as hard as it seems? Sometimes I think it would be almost impossible as a one man job, but on the other hand I think that any reasonable software projects are quite possible for one person but the only barrier is a lack of information. I can do a fair amount of assembly and have a basic (comp sci course) knowledge of OSs but have no idea about boot loaders and the like.
    Im assured that much of the early stages of OS development are similar. Im not really sure how true this is because I have never even attempted it but eveyone I know seems to feel that you don't really "make it your OS" until later in the development stages!!!

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.