Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm really confused because I'm looking at doing history at either Edinburgh or Glasgow. I know they're a four year course and at the end of it, I would come out with an MA.

I also know that an MA in Scotland is not the same as English universities referring to an MA as a postgraduate qualification.

Yes, I have researched it on the Internet, I've seen their prospectus', websites and wikipedia, however I don't understand; can anyone help me, please?

Is it worth doing an MA at a Scottish university, or not?
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    From what I've been told, Glasgow and Edinburgh call their degrees MA because of history, they've had it a long time.

At any other Scottish Uni, a bachelors is 4 years and it's also called a bachelors. Edinburgh/Glasgow are also 4 years but they call it something different, that's all. A MA in Scotland is 5 years.

EDIT: Found link http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maste...rts_(Scotland)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gthreadgold)
    Hi everyone,

I'm really confused because I'm looking at doing history at either Edinburgh or Glasgow. I know they're a four year course and at the end of it, I would come out with an MA.

I also know that an MA in Scotland is not the same as English universities referring to an MA as a postgraduate qualification.

Yes, I have researched it on the Internet, I've seen their prospectus', websites and wikipedia, however I don't understand; can anyone help me, please?

Is it worth doing an MA at a Scottish university, or not?
    Thank you!
    Yes MA at a Scottish university is good. MA in england is a postgrad qualification but in Scotland it is an undergrad degree.

An MA is like a normal degree but only the oldest Scottish unis call a normal degree an MA (think St Andrews, Glasgow, edinburgh, dundee and aberdeen?) but employers know it is an undergrad degree, the difference between a normal degree in Scotland and an MA is that, the name. They are the same undergrad degrees except in these 5 ancient unis, a normal 4 year degree is called an MA.

I was confused about this last year but finally cleared it up, hope this helps! :P

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.