Announcements

ReputationRep:
    athlon 3000+ or centrino 1.4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    huh?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't this have gone with the laptop thread?

I'd prefer the athlon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Couldn't this have gone with the laptop thread?

I'd prefer the athlon
    just wanted quicker answers that is all..thnx for ur advice :-)

ReputationRep:
    dunno about laptop cpus but ive got a p4 2.4ghz machine and a 2500+ atholon xp machine with similar specs except the cpus. I ran benchmark tests on both of them and the intel outperforms the atholon. Also i notice the intel is smoother in games although they have similar graphics cards. It's what i expected as a p4 2.4 ghz these days costs roughly about £150 i think and i picked up my atholon around xmas for about £72 with a fan.

ReputationRep:
    Centrino > Athlon

ReputationRep:
    Centrino me thinks

ReputationRep:
    the centrino will have less cache, runs slower and probably has a slower FSB. So, the Athlon is better.

and 2.4ghz P4 doesnt beat Athlon 2500+, esp when most 2500 athlons can be clocked to 3200+ speeds.

edit: Although the athlon will be faster, the centrino has better battery life. If thats important for you, and you won't miss the extra power the Athlon will give you, the centrino is better. (i presume you're looking for a laptop)

ReputationRep:
    Well, with laptops, the Centrino can match the Athlon, even with it's lower speed.

With desktops, Athlon performs better than Intel, but only up to a certain point. Intel have now regained their top spot as the speed kings but if you want value for money, it will always be Athlon. I have an Athlon XP 1700+ in my PC and it still runs all the latest games in mid/high quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byakugan_neji)
    Well, with laptops, the Centrino can match the Athlon, even with it's lower speed.

With desktops, Athlon performs better than Intel, but only up to a certain point. Intel have now regained their top spot as the speed kings but if you want value for money, it will always be Athlon. I have an Athlon XP 1700+ in my PC and it still runs all the latest games in mid/high quality.
    uhm. Athlon FX is *the* fastest desktop processor. And still cheaper (i think) than Intel's fastest offering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    uhm. Athlon FX is *the* fastest desktop processor. And still cheaper (i think) than Intel's fastest offering.
    Oh yea, totally forgot about the Athlon 64bit chip! Please forgive me since I have only bought like 1 PC magazine (I always get PCA) in the last 6 months or so!

ReputationRep:
    I think Athlon

ReputationRep:
    athlon in my opinion

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Not many people are aware of the relatively new invention of the Centrino processor. It got rave reviews for its excellent speed, battery life etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    the centrino will have less cache, runs slower and probably has a slower FSB. So, the Athlon is better.

and 2.4ghz P4 doesnt beat Athlon 2500+, esp when most 2500 athlons can be clocked to 3200+ speeds.

edit: Although the athlon will be faster, the centrino has better battery life. If thats important for you, and you won't miss the extra power the Athlon will give you, the centrino is better. (i presume you're looking for a laptop)
    how would u know? I have both of them and i can tell you in real life the p4 is a more powerful processor. I'm not talking about over clocking either.

ReputationRep:
    AMD all the way for me, I really don't see the poiint in Intel at all. They are too slow pound per power. My AMD Althlon 2000+ is far to fast for what I need it for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    how would u know? I have both of them and i can tell you in real life the p4 is a more powerful processor. I'm not talking about over clocking either.
    because its just common sense!

i suggest something else is slowing your athlon down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I'll swap you for a 900Mhz Celeron then?
    haha you wish

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.