The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

any musicians want to start a band?

i play the guitar (got 2 electrics and 2 acoustics) .. and can just about manage the piano and drums (and yes i have a piano and a drumkit) if really needed.. and i can manage backing vocals too. i was previously lead guitarist and backing vocalist in a band that split up after some members moved out of london.

so... if anybody is interested in jamming, do let me know.

my influences are very wide-ranging.. but basically i'm into rock, metal, classical, the blues, alternative...

here's a short list of some of the bands/artists i like:

aamir zaki.
alanis morissette
alice in chains.
alirio diaz.
andrea bocelli.
audioslave.
arch enemy.
bach.
beethoven.
billie holiday.
cathedral.
chopin.
coldplay.
corduroy.
danzig.
deicide.
dream theater.
exodus.
faraz anwar.
foo fighters.
frank sinatra.
gamma ray.
guns n roses.
gypsy kings.
harry-gregson williams.
joe satriani.
john petrucci.
john williams.
junoon.
katatonia.
kreator.
lacuna coil.
lamb of god.
led zeppelin.
louis armstrong.
low.
manowar.
marilyn manson.
mastadon.
megadeth.
mekaal hasan.
mercyful fate.
metallica.
mozart.
muse.
nancy sinatra.
nightwish.
noori.
nusrat fateh ali khan.
opeth.
pantera.
pearl jam.
porcupine tree.
queens of the stone age.
rahat fateh ali khan.
rammstein.
ravi shankar.
rick renstrom.
sepultura.
sigur ros.
slayer.
soulfly.
soundgarden.
static x.
system of a down.
steve vai.
sunno))).
the smashing pumpkins.
the rising.
thomas newman.
vanessa mae.
yo yo ma.
Reply 1
wait until september and we might have a deal:wink: . Interesting music there. I've got a mate who listens to the same music as you. He's never heard of anyone who listens to Sigur Ros. Neither have I! Basically I sing and can dance well and have been looking for someone who's into your kind of music as I want to make something cool but different. I also listen to RnB, Pop, Dance, basically everything. I love riffs and am looking to make something rocky but something you can dance to too. I atmospheric music too.

PM if you're up for it. in September...lol:rolleyes:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
hey...thats a pretty good list zara....incl. some good paki and indian singers (rahet f. a. khan has some talent of senior fateh ali khan)....well...i dont play any instrument...but listen to some good ones....maybe i will learn sometime...
I'm (hopefully) coming to QMUL in Sept, so if you wouldn't mind waiting til then!!

i'm learning the guitar atm, but i'm not too good, finding it hard to progress. hopefully when I get my download festival tickets out of the way, I can afford some lessons!!

I'd like to jam with some musician, really cos I want to find my voice. I know I have one in there somewhere, but I just have never had the opportunity to get it out. I've never been close to any musicians, or anybody who would be willing to let me try and find my voice, so I would like the opportunity.

anyway look at my myspace for my interests (not all of them are listed tho).

Bryan.
Reply 4
i like the diversity in the choice of music in that list. metallica, slayer, mozart, beethoven, nusrat fateh ali khan, sigur ros, andrea bocelli, alanis morissette, joe satriani and frank sinatra in the same list.
i have similar kind of music taste and i think i can play bass, acoustic and electric guitar and can sing a bit too. see you, hopefully, in august/september.
by the way what was your previous band called? what kind of songs you guys used to cover? did you have an original? if there is a recording or a video of your live performance kindly upload it somewhere.
and you have very nice name.
Reply 5
ah it's great to get a response from several of you...

it's a shame you guys aren't already at uni.. otherwise we could have got started right away..

anyhow, my previous band has an amazingly embarassing name which i prefer not to disclose :tongue: nevertheless, we mainly covered songs.. from bands such as nirvana, the murderdolls, the darkness, the white stripes, korn... stuff they wanted to cover lol. we also completed one original and also, we had some half-finished material... nothing recorded though.

but i'm also working on my own stuff at home, and am in the process of home-recording my rocked up version of the godfather theme.. so as i complete that i'll send it to anybody who is interested... i've also covered some other things such as the metal gear solid theme (rocked up lol) amongst some originals, which include metal, classical and blues fusion.

=)
Reply 6
i believe no band name can be embarrassing if you do good music. look at the names "pink floyd" and "sex pistols".
anyhow, i would be really looking forward to listening to your stuff since you have a blues, classical and metal originals. do tell me if there is any uploaded right now.
Reply 7
well i do have some stuff uploaded, but i'd recorded a lot of the stuff a while ago.. so you must excuse the poor recording quality..

metal gear solid theme: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=2866068&q=hi

the godfather theme on guitar: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=2117130&q=hi
(old version, a much improved version with better volume levels and better quality is on its way soon)

wait: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3475949&q=hi
(something i composed on fl studio, a classical fusion)

the propagandist: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=2710704&q=hi
(something i composed on the piano, but i sequenced this on fl studio for better sound)
Reply 8
hey i might be coming to QMUL next year. Do you have anything against indians joining ur band? that'll be for singing.......i'll send u a few samples...
Reply 9
i have no problems with people's nationalities, so yeah please do send me some samples if you can... thanks..
I'll be coming to QMUL in September I've been playing guitar (surprise surprise) for about 4 or 5 years ish, I can't remember. Does QMUL have any good music facilities like rehersal rooms and is there a good alternative scene?

I'm hoping to join or start a band there or at least try, and probably fail due to not finder a drummer!
Reply 11
there is a society called now music society.. which mainly focuses on rock and alternative music... if you join that society, you can hire out rehearsal rooms and hire out equipment like drumkits and amps etc. there are actually a few drummers at qmul.
zara
there is a society called now music society.. which mainly focuses on rock and alternative music... if you join that society, you can hire out rehearsal rooms and hire out equipment like drumkits and amps etc. there are actually a few drummers at qmul.

Fantastic, can't wait. I gotta be in a band i've been so bored since my last band fell apart!
Reply 13
looks like I won't be part of it! Fate intervened. Best of luck though Zara!

Latest

Trending

Trending