The Student Room Group

Mass shooting at Batman film premiere.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by julifak
Wow you are one sick, sadistic and deranged moron!!!!!!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yes, unfortunately such people are in bountiful supply. I believe films and movies do indeed worsen the situation :lol:
Original post by pr0view
No one ever gets shot in the UK do they? No body has ever been killed with
weapons other than guns? Bombs are banned in the UK did that stop 7/7?
Hasn't gun crime risen in the UK since the total ban on firearms?

Actually this may be partly due to changes in the fire arms act where crimes with imitation fire arms are recorded as gun crime.

Also the ratio of gun crime in the UK is far less than the US.
Reply 122
Original post by Jordan_1
Yes it could.. but it is far more likely in America. Please tell me how many mass shootings there has been in Britain compared to America?

And how many times larger is America in comparison to the UK in both size and population geographical size? Lets also consider how all crimes not just gun crime seem to be more prevalent in the US.
Original post by HomoSapiensSap
To tell the truth, I expected to be shocked and horrified, but I was only mildly so. I certainly wasn't surprised - why should I be.

Thank Hollywood and the America media for desensitizing the population, otherwise, everytime we heard about incidents like this, we would have a great fit each time. It's like the constant bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan (how many times do you hear people over here say "Oh, just another day in the middle east" and not even bat an eyelid?).

There is a difference between the movies and real life, Spiderman doesn't exist ya know:rolleyes:

Not sure what you have been watching to desensitise you to babies and kids being shot in the head, bad enough when it happens to adults, yeah it happens all around the world and we don't see or hear about it all that much, but if you had a soul then you wouldn't be desensitised to such things.

You are a troll or seriously misguided.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BethaneyJ
Witnesses say he was wearing all black, a riot helmet and a bullet proof vest.

Something about the vest makes me feel queasy.

why the vest in particular? :s-smilie:
Reply 125
Anyone that wants to hear the police radio scanner can listen here : http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=43

"Damn, so sad, one victim killed has been identified... Aspiring sportscaster...

deadspin.com...

Her twitter, and last tweet...

https://twitter.com/JessicaRedfield

This is just horrible..."

Apparently it is a soldier with PDST.

"A few weeks ago, a man by the username of 'JamesHolmes154' posted a thread on 9gag saying he was going to 'shoot up' a theater. He was clearly distressed and admitted? he was suffering from PTSD. He said he was going to walk in and try to take as much lifes as possible. The whole 9gag community egged him on and give him tips on what to wear, etc. They give him tips on sharp-shooting and sent him messages on how to take as much lifes as possible. 9gag is a sick site and needs to be destroyed. "
b2UMI.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)
Pish posh. What about the constant terrorist bombings in Afghanistan and Iraq (that occurs everyday probably)?

Who the hell do you think you are to tell me what I do and don't care about when you have no idea?

FYI a friend of mine was killed in Afghanistan a few weeks ago.

This thread is full of people who are just expressing the fact that their thoughts are with those who are affected by this incident. There is nothing wrong with that.
Reply 127
Original post by A level Az
**** like this happens when you let anyone own a gun. Dumbass America.

Why does this not happen in countries like Switzerland, Czech Republic, Canada, New Zealand etc etc that all have very liberal gun law?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
So this justifies gun ownership does it?

Gun ownership is justified on natural law grounds. There is no justification for there being a designated coercive monopoly over firearms, or for there being a select few wielding sole control of them. Those who bear status within a military or police force are just as susceptible to any socio-economic and/or external influence as any other individual is. Even further, in most cases the former are directly ordered by a power elite to wield firearms in the service of special interests, very often at the expense of those unable to attain such weapons. If powerful people can own guns then the citizen ought to be able to. Otherwise you must fallaciously believe either that 'might is right' or that those in power are somehow more enlightened than those who aren't. One of the oldest questions in political philosophy is "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" - who will guard the guardians? Such a notion is completely violated by the guardians' restricting citizens from keeping them in check through a deterrent as effective as gun rights. It invariably leads to a massive disparity and imbalance in the concentration of political power, and helps reaffirm the coercive mechanisms of the few at the expense of the many.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 129
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
Actually this may be partly due to changes in the fire arms act where crimes with imitation fire arms are recorded as gun crime.

Also the ratio of gun crime in the UK is far less than the US.

Still increase has it not?
Original post by pr0view
Why does this not happen in countries like Switzerland, Czech Republic, Norway, New Zealand etc etc that all have very liberal gun law?

It does happen in countries like Norway...
Original post by taliman
Anyone that wants to hear the police radio scanner can listen here : http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?action=wp&feedId=43

"Damn, so sad, one victim killed has been identified... Aspiring sportscaster...

deadspin.com...

"A few weeks ago, a man by the username of 'JamesHolmes154' posted a thread on 9gag saying he was going to 'shoot up' a theater. He was clearly distressed and admitted? he was suffering from PTSD. He said he was going to walk in and try to take as much lifes as possible. The whole 9gag community egged him on and give him tips on what to wear, etc. They give him tips on sharp-shooting and sent him messages on how to take as much lifes as possible. 9gag is a sick site and needs to be destroyed. "
b2UMI.jpg

Where did you find the last piece of info? If it's true that's awful
Original post by Jordan_1
When is America going to realise that guns shouldn't be legal? ****ing idiots.

Just saying and all but this could have happened in near enough any country in the world, gun crime is not limited to America and they sure as hell dont have the least stringent around anyway...
Original post by SubAtomic
There is a difference between the movies and real life, Spiderman doesn't exist ya know:rolleyes:

Not sure what you have been watching to desensitise you to babies and kids being shot in the head, bad enough when it happens to adults, yeah it happens all around the world and we don't see or hear about it all that much, but if you had a soul then you wouldn't be desensitised to such things.

You are a troll or seriously misguided.

Souls don't exist. A degree of maturity would enable you to view such situations in a detached and separated manner. There is no point of getting one's knickers in a twist when nothing can be done by one to remedy the situation.
Reply 134
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
It does happen in countries like Norway...

Yes it has unfortuantley happened ONCE i realised after i posted.
Original post by internet tough guy
why the vest in particular? :s-smilie:

I think it's the whole idea that he was prepared and planned it. He decided to go out and shoot a load of people but also decided that he didn't want to get shot himself and took protection against the very danger he was planning to cause.

If someone snapped, picked up a gun randomly and shot people that would be terrible alone, but the cold calculated nature of this just makes me feel gross. He must have calmly dressed and put his jacket on knowing what he was going to do.
Souls don't exist. A degree of maturity would enable you to view such situations in a detached and separated manner. There is no point of getting one's knickers in a twist when nothing can be done by one to remedy the situation.

You may wear knickers, I don't, I am a straight non cross dressing male.

Maturity I have in abundance, empathy I feel for all atrocities to nearly all humans. I say nearly because if something bad happened to the likes of Ian Huntley, Hans Fritzl, and generally morally corrupt people I would lack empathy.

Viewing the situation in a detached separated manner I am sorry but I can see no reason why someone would want to go shooting civilians other than being mental or a terrorist or both.

I mention soul because I feel my soul would be corrupt if I was killing indiscriminately, though it would be my conscience I would have to deal with, some have it some don't. You must have a good peer group around you to be developing such views.

Here is a definition of soulless

Why I need to keep linking definitions for things I say for some people on TSR is beyond me, are your comprehension skills that bad?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 137
Original post by taliman

deadspin.com...

b2UMI.jpg

Wow that twitter is really sad.... Seems she convinced her male friend to go along with her....
I don't understand how people can say this isn't a terrorist incident. Do you, like the media, associate terrorism with Islam? :rolleyes:
Reply 139
Original post by BethaneyJ
I think it's the whole idea that he was prepared and planned it. He decided to go out and shoot a load of people but also decided that he didn't want to get shot himself and took protection against the very danger he was planning to cause.

If someone snapped, picked up a gun randomly and shot people that would be terrible alone, but the cold calculated nature of this just makes me feel gross. He must have calmly dressed and put his jacket on knowing what he was going to do.

I'm pretty sure most mass shootings like this are planned and calculated, just that most of those carrying them out want to make a farewell statement to the world, this one is only different in that the gunman clearly wanted to survive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending