The Student Room Group

Legal Practice Course(LPC)-Westminster or Manch Met?

Hey guys...

Ok, so I'm hoping to do the LPC (legal practice course) in the following september and I've been offered places by Westminster uni and also by Manchester Metropolitan uni but I haven't a clue as to which offer I should accept. Both uni's got a 'very good' rating for their LPC...however Manchester is closer to home for me so that's one advantage of it. I can go home every weekend and get mummy dearest to do my washing lol.

However, I love London life and would love to live there but then the disadvantage of it is that it's tooooo far from home. Although that's not really a problem for me...I'd like to live away from home...it's better innit!
Money also comes into it...London is more expensive and Manchester is cheaper.
Umm and eventually once I become a qualified solicitor I would like to work in London so i'm thinking that would it be best if i go and study in london now so that i can get used to the life there...hmmm.

I haven't yet been to see the uni's...but I'm going to the manchester met open day on wednesday...and if I can then I'm gonna go to London to see Westminster uni in the next week or so.

I really need some helpful advice from other people to help me come to a decision...so please let me know your views on which uni you think would be the best one for me to do my postgraduate LPC at.

HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!

Thanks xXx
Reply 1
Both universities don't have a great reputation overal but I think Manchester Met seems to have a good reputation for law. The university itslelf is one of the better ex polys.
Reply 2
Oh, if Manchester met has a good rep for law then that's where i'm gonna go.

I'm gonna check it out on wednesday when I go to the open day.

Reply 3
amazingtrade
Both universities don't have a great reputation overal but I think Manchester Met seems to have a good reputation for law. The university itslelf is one of the better ex polys.

the rep of the uni doesnt really matter at all for the LPC or so I've been told. You already have a degree and thats where the employers will be looking for what uni you went to. If you have firm sponsorship i would go whereever they recommend. If not then my advice is to go where the fees are cheapest. I think the cheapest LPC in the UK is about £5000 and the most expensive somewhere in London is between £8000 and £9000. I am considering if I dont get sponsorship going to Wolverhampton Uni to do mine because the fees are cheap and I could live at home and after mentioning it to firms at a career fair I gathered that they wouldnt hold it against me.

It may be worth contacting some firms they should be around at careers fairs etc to see how important they regard the location of your LPC. I think they are quite flexible about it because they appreciate how much they cost. Do you have a training contract?
Reply 4
viviki
the rep of the uni doesnt really matter at all for the LPC or so I've been told. You already have a degree and thats where the employers will be looking for what uni you went to. If you have firm sponsorship i would go whereever they recommend. If not then my advice is to go where the fees are cheapest. I think the cheapest LPC in the UK is about £5000 and the most expensive somewhere in London is between £8000 and £9000. I am considering if I dont get sponsorship going to Wolverhampton Uni to do mine because the fees are cheap and I could live at home and after mentioning it to firms at a career fair I gathered that they wouldnt hold it against me.

It may be worth contacting some firms they should be around at careers fairs etc to see how important they regard the location of your LPC. I think they are quite flexible about it because they appreciate how much they cost. Do you have a training contract?

Nope I don't have a training contract yet.

I would like to go into immigration law and westminster are offering that as an elective but MMU aren't. So that's where I'm stuck.

Also, the LPC at MMU is cheaper...it's around 6,300 quid but at Westminster it's 7,505 quid so if I went to MMU then I'd be saving alot.

Hmm I don't know what to do and I only have a few days to make my decision.

I'm gonna get a professional trainee loan which Natwest offer for postgraduate law students. You can borrow up to 20,000 and have upto 10 years to repay it.

Latest

Trending

Trending