Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi
    im new to this forum, just found it today
    i was just wandering if it is possible to get into a good university (i.e. LSE/ UCL) through clearing
    i havent actually applied to study economics but have since changed my mind and have decided to do it
    i would rather not take a gap year and reapply, so is clearing possible??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wannabEconomist)
    hi
    i was just wandering if it is possible to get into a good university (i.e. LSE/ UCL) through clearing
    i havent actually applied to study economics but have since changed my mind and have decided to do it
    i dont see how it is possible when economics is such a popular subject at lse and everyone's grades are so good ie aaa

ReputationRep:
    hi
    The best unis like LSE/ucl are never in clearing, especially for popular subjects like econ. Those unis +subjects are oversubscribed as it, they are not gonna have spare places

ReputationRep:
    hi
    No is the quick and easy answer. Oxbridge, LSE and Imperial have very few places available for clearing and that goes for most of the top 15 such as Warwick, Nottingham, Bath, UCL, York, Durham etc..as they are so oversubscribed. Any places that are available are in the less academic subjects. Economics is a very competitive course. You'll be lucky to find clearing spaces even in places like Birmingham and Southampton.

If you're sure Economics is for you then re-apply. However, keep it in mind that it's tough to get in anywhere good. I have straight A's at AS and predicted AAA at A'level and got rejected from Bath and York. If you look through this forum then you'll see people with even better academic histories that get rejections for Economics.

Sorry for the bad news

ReputationRep:
    yeh, id like to repeat what the above said.
    also, don't even bother applying if you dont have maths a level. it sounds really harsh, but i think from this year they started being really fussy and maths now is pretty much essential coz of the course content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangomaz)
    yeh, id like to repeat what the above said.
    also, don't even bother applying if you dont have maths a level. it sounds really harsh, but i think from this year they started being really fussy and maths now is pretty much essential coz of the course content.
    Yeah - Most of the Top 15 state A-C at Maths A'level as a prerequisite already. It's only Oxford, Bath and York that i know of that currently don't specify it as an admissions requirement, but even then they say it is highly desirable and don't tend to take candidates without it. In fact, i think Bath have changed their admissions policy to include an A-B pass at A'level Maths from this year onwards. Even the other 'top-tier' universities that don't quite make the top 10 such as Manchester tend to place bias towards students with A'level Maths.

All in all, Economics is a ***** of a course to get onto at a top university. Probably one of the hardest. Be happy if you get onto it at a uni inside the top 15.

ReputationRep:
    There's always Essex - very good for economics and i got my place through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_help)

If you're sure Economics is for you then re-apply. However, keep it in mind that it's tough to get in anywhere good. I have straight A's at AS and predicted AAA at A'level and got rejected from Bath and York. If you look through this forum then you'll see people with even better academic histories that get rejections for Economics.

Sorry for the bad news
    What did you get for GCSE? What a-levels are you taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero101)
    What did you get for GCSE? What a-levels are you taking?
    GCSE:

5 x A*
    1 x A
    3 x B

AS:

Physics - A
    Maths (Stats) - A
    Geography - A
    Business Studies - A

Dropped Maths for A'level (Big Mistake - didn't decide on Economics until recently) - predicted AAA

Rejections from Bath and York were probably due to not having the full A'level in Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    The best unis like LSE/ucl are never in clearing, especially for popular subjects like econ. Those unis +subjects are oversubscribed as it, they are not gonna have spare places

Once again, lets correct these assumptions. Last year ONLY Oxford, Cam, LSE and Bristol were not in clearing. Warwick and Notts are usually there/sometimes not, but are only going to have Engineering and the like, perhaps German or something. UCL is always there and seems quite flexibile (although certainly not with Econ/Law etc). Imperial too is around, particularly with Engineering courses, as these tend not to be too popular.

For Economics though, you have to be incredibly lucky, you may get somwhere like er...Bham or City university, Lesta Uni, perhaps some other redbrick. Depends on your luck, although if you have 3A`s universities do seem to at least want to talk to you and you'd have at least some chance of getting in somewhere worthwhile. You cannot be too picky over location/size and etc thou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Once again, lets correct these assumptions. Last year ONLY Oxford, Cam, LSE and Bristol were not in clearing. Warwick and Notts are usually there/sometimes not, but are only going to have Engineering and the like, perhaps German or something. UCL is always there and seems quite flexibile (although certainly not with Econ/Law etc). Imperial too is around, particularly with Engineering courses, as these tend not to be too popular.

For Economics though, you have to be incredibly lucky, you may get somwhere like er...Bham or City university, Lesta Uni, perhaps some other redbrick. Depends on your luck, although if you have 3A`s universities do seem to at least want to talk to you and you'd have at least some chance of getting in somewhere worthwhile. You cannot be too picky over location/size and etc thou
    Oh dear JS, what WOULD this board do without you?
    Have a party perhaps?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 1, 2004

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.