The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Let's face it, we all know it boils down to attention.

Beyond that it's a question of degree; the level of sluttiness depends on whether the girl wants a bit of attention, needs a lot of attention, or wants sex.

The cheaper and sluttier they look, the more desperate they are, which is why any guy with standards who isn't utterly rat-arsed won't touch such girls with a barge pole.
Reply 41
Original post by philistine
Don't be so bloody stupid. A woman can look incredibly sexy and ooze with class without showing even a bit of flesh (not that I'm saying showing flesh is bad-- of course it isn't).

It seems many women today, yourself included, think that the more flesh one exposes, the sexier they are. This couldn't be further from the truth.

Then you 'don't be so bloody stupid' saying that red dress was slutty when it clearly wasn't.

Of course a woman can look sexy without showing their legs etc however if they turn up like that to a night clubbing they are going to look overdressed and out of place. That sort of elegance is more something you'd wear for a prom or a red carpet event.

I don't think that the more flesh one exposes the sexier they are and saying so is like me saying you think that the more one covers the sexier they are.
Original post by Movember
before you say, this isnt a thread designed to get at anyone. it is for my own curiosity. on nights out, the vast majority of girls wear obviously revealing clothes and makeup to match (yes there are some who wear knee length dresses, fairly high cut in the bust area and have toned down makeup, but these are exceptions).

i was wondering if girls consciously make the effort to go for this cheap/easy look? i have asked a number of people in real life. some people say that girls and guys are basically the same in terms of sex drive and wanting attention- girls want attention and want to get with the fit guys, just like guys want attention and want to get with the fit girls. the only difference is guys' standards are a bit lower (so change 'fit girls' to 'almost any girl').

other people i have asked say that girls wear these things to make them feel confident. so why dont they wear short skirts (barely covering their bum), low cut dresses and lots of makeup during the day?

other people say girls follow the crowd- other girls are wearing similar revealing clothing so no one wants to look like the odd one out.

back to the question: Do most girls actively go for the cheap/easy look on a night out?

I love these girls :colondollar:
Original post by StacFace
Then you 'don't be so bloody stupid' saying that red dress was slutty when it clearly wasn't.

Many would disagree. Considering your horrendously louche taste in evening attire, you're evidently not one such person.

Of course a woman can look sexy without showing their legs etc however if they turn up like that to a night clubbing they are going to look overdressed and out of place. That sort of elegance is more something you'd wear for a prom or a red carpet event.

Opinion, not fact.

I don't think that the more flesh one exposes the sexier they are and saying so is like me saying you think that the more one covers the sexier they are.

No, it isn't. In fact, I stated the precise opposite in the post you just quoted. Can you not read?
I think most girls like attention or like to reassure themselves that they're pretty or whatever by getting male attention so they'll wear tight clothing or short shorts orrr low cut tops. The last time I went out I wore this

http://www.boutique73.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/l/black_skull_dress.jpg

I don't go out to pull or anything and I wouldn't say wearing that makes me look cheap or easy, but I did see some girls and I thought it was crazy that they're even allowed out like that, for example the shorts with the bottom half of your arsecheeks hanging out. xD
Reply 45
Original post by Astronomical
Bingo! We have a winner!

Seriously, ladies, get some style. Revealing more doesn't make you sexier, it makes you look sluttier, which is precisely why it draws attention; guys see you as easy potential sex. I'm not saying it makes you a slut, but it does make you look like a slut. That's not a good look.

Hot:

Spoiler

Slutty:

Spoiler

It might amuse you that those "slutty" pictures all came from a Google search of 'clubbing dresses'. :rolleyes:

Those slutty pictures came up in the Google search of clubbing dresses because the businesses selling those dresses will be trying to market them that way. You can't see the backs on these pictures but it's clear from how short they are that you would be able to see part of their bum or knickers so yes they are slutty. However that red dress sat lower and wasn't a cutout that it barely covered her boobs and therefore was not slutty.
Check out a nightclub in France or Spain : you'll find girls that wear tight dress are way rarer in these countries. I'd say it's definitely a british thing.
Original post by Astronomical
Bingo! We have a winner!

Seriously, ladies, get some style. Revealing more doesn't make you sexier, it makes you look sluttier, which is precisely why it draws attention; guys see you as easy potential sex. I'm not saying it makes you a slut, but it does make you look like a slut. That's not a good look.

Hot:

Spoiler

Slutty:

Spoiler

It might amuse you that those "slutty" pictures all came from a Google search of 'clubbing dresses'. :rolleyes:

That "hot" dress is hideous, it looks like it's made out of christmas wrapping paper. But I guess it's preferable to the slutty one...both would show an equal lack of style though in my opinion if someone were to wear them to a club....
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
That "hot" dress is hideous, it looks like it's made out of christmas wrapping paper. But I guess it's preferable to the slutty one...both would show an equal lack of style though in my opinion if someone were to wear them to a club....

Which, there are 5 you could be referring too? The top one is my favourite. :drool:
You are stereotyping a bit :p:p ..I like to look nice but I'll never go out in a mini skirt, hooker heels and with red lip stick slapped all over my face all at the same time...me and some of my friends tend to go for the sophisticated look ..i.e. looking nice but keeping decent all the same...but on the other hand I have friends that go out in next to nothing...we still have fun all the same but it just depends on what you're comfortable/confident in I suppose ..personally I'd feel way too self conscious .also I think if you dress like that it can make you an 'easy target'..but people shouldn't think that dressing in a certain way is an invitation :P
Reply 50
Original post by hali0112
OP, you make a good point.

On my first night out, which happened to be in Liverpool I wore jeans and a nice top, low cut. I pulled 2/3 guys. I liked the attention I got and had a great night dancing with some hot guys. I hadn't been to a club before and didn't know if my attire was appropriate. when I got there, I realised I was the only girl in jeans. I felt like I wasn't dressed up enough. most of the girls were wearing heavy make up, tight short dresses showing ample cleavage. I was dressed quite modest in comparison. After that I started dressing more provocatively, but not full on sluttily. I usually wear a tight short skirt, which is very figure hugging. It covers my bum and with that I wear a low cut simple top. I wear tights too, which is rare in Liverpool on a night out. I am still fairly modest compared to other girls who wear a lot less. But I dress this way because I love the attention I get. I love the way guys look at me on nights out. I get the attention that I usually don't get during the day so it's nice to just dress up and be a different person for a night. I don't dress this way during the day because I am quite happy being invisible and normal during the day because I am not the most confident around guys but sometimes it's nice to be someone else for a night and feel more confident.

Bravo your post wast the most honest here so far in this thread. Its frustrating reading posts from other women claiming they dress like that 'because hots pants are comfortable' or 'those women are from a low socio-economic background'. Its all about attention and confidence and feeling good about yourself, us men need it too but we get it in different ways. Most of the posts in this thread is just pure bull ****.
Reply 51
believe it or not, some girls actually think the slutty look is the most attractive thing ever. it just gets the wrong attention especially if you look like one of the TOWIE girls with too much fake tan.
Reply 53
Many would disagree. Considering your horrendously louche taste in evening attire, you're evidently not one such person.

Please explain how it is slutty. You can't see her bum, boobs or vagina. Her stomach and back are also covered fully. The dress isn't even cut to show her cleavage properly. You can't tell what colour knickers she's wearing or if she's not wearing any at all. All you can see is her bra strap which can also be seen if you wear a vestop and with some t-shirts as well, and you can only see that at the back. If she changed to a strapless bra you wouldn't even see that!

Opinion, not fact.

Are you honestly telling me that a woman in an elegant full-length ball gown is going to look just like everyone else in a nightclub? Isn't this whole thread about how nightclubs are apparently full of girls in their underwear? You honestly think this

will blend in with this

in a nightclub?

No, it isn't. In fact, I stated the precise opposite in the post you just quoted. Can you not read?

I said "I don't think that the more flesh one exposes the sexier they are and saying so is like me saying you think that the more one covers the sexier they are." I didn't say that was your actual opinion. Can you not read?
Reply 54
Original post by stacface
would something like this be more appropriate?

the bold sounds like you're describing a dress to buy for your mum or possibly nanna.

what!!! Bare wrists! Harlot! To hell with thee!!!
Those slutty pictures came up in the Google search of clubbing dresses because the businesses selling those dresses will be trying to market them that way. You can't see the backs on these pictures but it's clear from how short they are that you would be able to see part of their bum or knickers so yes they are slutty. However that red dress sat lower and wasn't a cutout that it barely covered her boobs and therefore was not slutty.

The pictures weren't from clothing websites, so that isn't really a valid point.

I didn't comment on your red dress, but although it was quite revealing, it was much nicer than some of the things you see people wear. :h:
Girls do not dress to impress guys most of the time. But, to impress other girls and so they feel good about themselves.

Also, I believe the majority of the time girls dress sense is quite restricted. Clubbing or similar events such as parties allow them to wear stuff out of the normal, of which they can relax, and have fun in. Whats the problem with that? As for looking "easy" lets be honest most girls in clubs look easy.... (Not saying they are). But, whether they are easy or not is another question all together. I disagree that all girls do it for attention, undoubtedly some girls do do it for attention, but as stated at the start I feel equally there are many girls who do it to impress their other female friends, and to feel better about themselves, or as everyone dresses like that in clubs.
(edited 11 years ago)
Please explain how it is slutty. You can't see her bum, boobs or vagina. Her stomach and back are also covered fully. The dress isn't even cut to show her cleavage properly. You can't tell what colour knickers she's wearing or if she's not wearing any at all. All you can see is her bra strap which can also be seen if you wear a vestop and with some t-shirts as well, and you can only see that at the back. If she changed to a strapless bra you wouldn't even see that!

Are you honestly telling me that a woman in an elegant full-length ball gown is going to look just like everyone else in a nightclub? Isn't this whole thread about how nightclubs are apparently full of girls in their underwear? You honestly think this

will blend in with this

in a nightclub?

I said "I don't think that the more flesh one exposes the sexier they are and saying so is like me saying you think that the more one covers the sexier they are." I didn't say that was your actual opinion. Can you not read?

Stop using straw-man arguments. :facepalm:

It's clear that a ball-gown is inappropriate for a night club, however it is not the case that one must either wear a dress that is far too revealing or a full on ball gown. There are happy mediums, which is what look best. Like, say, a just-above-the-knee pencil dress would look just fine. :dontknow:
I don't believe so. I think they think what they're wearing looks good, but in reality, it actually looks cheap and/or easy. The sheer amount of women dressing this way on the weekend surely must confirm this.

Whilst I'd definitely look at a woman dressed that way, she most certainly could not be called classy, or well-attired. That is a cheap, fairly slutty look.

If that's the kind of dress people on here are calling cheap and slutty, I dread to think how they'd describe the people I typically see while out!

While it's not the most classy dress in the world I wouldn't say there is anything slutty about it... It could do with being a little bit longer but I see nothing wrong with it...
Reply 59
Absolutely. I want my outfit to scream 'I have an STD'.

Really, girls wear slutty outfits because everyone else does. And most don't want to stand out too much in a club by wearing something completely different to everyone else. Plus it gets girls attention from boys. Not necessarily the right type of attention, but attention nonetheless.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending