The Student Room Group

How lomg did it take you to prepare for your theory test (driving)?

my theory test is in less than two weeks and I havent done much work yet.Im getting slightly worried.

Scroll to see replies

Hi I did lots of practise and mock tests using the Driving theory success CD. Then I booked the test, mine is on the 2nd of next month! And so far I am doing a mock test each day! The only problem is that now I have done so many that I am getting bored and not reading the questions properly :tongue: ! :smile:
Reply 2
For me, i did approx 3 weeks preparation. However most of that was the week before the test with more intense work on the weekend and i passed.
Okay, let me tell you exactly what I did and it will guarantee you will pass.

Read through all the questions and answers. All 900 of them or whatever they are, at the back of the book.

Then do random tests. As many as possible. Simultaneously, do and practice the hazard perception but in the evening if you do theory in the morning and vice versa.

Every time you get something wrong or think you may forget it in the future, write it down on a piece of paper: both question and answer.

Repeat this until you finish all the questions.

Revise the questions you got wrong/wrote down.

Try a few random tests and hazard perceptions together. As many as possible.

Continue everyday for 2 weeks. You will pass with this good amount of practice.

Call it excessive - but who cares? Atleast it guarantees you will pass and hard work is better than no work.
I er... forgot about mine until the weekend before and did hardcore study. I do not recommend this at all! It depends how easily you learn I guess!
Do a couple of practice tests online (loads of my actual test answers were off the practice), read the highway code and you're done pretty much. I didn't actually revise hazard perception come to think of it >_>, first time pass though. So get your highway code read a few times and you're gravy.
I prepared the morning before. If you drive a lot, the Hazard perception is second nature. If you want to pass the theory part, just keep taking tests, the same questions reoccur.
I think I did a grand total of five random tests, two tests focusing on my weak areas (where I got almost all wrong, compared to everything else whih was almost always right), and then for a few days before did a few read-throughs of the highway code.

But honestly, most of the questions are common sense.

As for hazard perception I just do whatever free tests I could ind on the Internet and did okay.
Reply 8
3 days
Honestly OP, you could pass based on a weekends work or whatever, just like most people do, and when I did mine, this was the advice I was given too, especially if you're an intelligent person like I am.

However, I stick by advice. Before my A-level Maths, I probably could have gotten an A* without any past papers, but that didn't stop me doing atleast 10, probably closer to 20 including Soloman.

Better to be safe than sorry, it's a lot of money to some.
Honestly, I read through the book of q's once, did a mock then did the test. I got 49 out of 50 which I was happy about. It depends on how you learn, for me I have a great memory for questions, my only advice is just keep going over the questions, muscle memory. Good luck! :smile: xx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I skimmed through the book during the car journey there.
Did all 963 questions until I got all right.

If you concentrate now, should be fine.

Also a few practice hazard perception tests online.
Reply 13
I bought a PC DVD thing, read the book. Did proper revision around 1/2 week before, working on getting all of them right every time and passed with full marks on the day
Reply 14
Original post by BethaneyJ
I er... forgot about mine until the weekend before and did hardcore study. I do not recommend this at all! It depends how easily you learn I guess!

Haha same. My test was on a monday, but I got preoccupied with something else (can't remember what) and had to revise all weekend. I passed, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it unless you learn best by cramming!
Reply 15
I did no revision for mine and passed with one question wrong. It asked what this was:

I said low bridge but it's tunnel.
Reply 16
I have my theory test booked in for the 31/07 so I will have just over a week to go over things; I do not particularly care how well I do just so long as I pass.
It took about 2 weeks to prepare for the exams but I spent a whole week doing just mock exams (was worried about the Hazard Perception).

My advice would be just to go through the practice sheets (if you're using the CD) which is split into 14 topics - each with 20 multiple choice questions. You'll probably cover 90% of the questions that way and then just do mock tests over and over again until your test.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 18
All I did was look through a book with all the possible questions and answers as a bit of night-time reading, did a few practice tests on my iPod and a few hazard perception tests online. Only took 2 weeks and I passed with flying colours.

Theory is laughably easy compared to any school tests.
The only exam/test I've ever truly revised for. I did ****loads of revision for it but only in the week running up to it. As the questions are multiple choice it's pretty easy, make sure your reactions are good too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending