What university is good for criminology? Watch

skendall1994
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I am interesting in studying criminology at university next year, however there is no league tables for criminology so I am confused about what university to go to. Does anyone have any suggestions of a good university for criminology?
Coffeegirl
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Someone I know is doing it through the open uni and also I know a few people who are doing it at University of West of England
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There might be a general entry for the social sciences on the league tables, you could try that?
skendall1994
Rep:
?
I have looked at sociology league tables because i wanted to do sociology and criminology, however I feel like i cant just base it on sociology league tables
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by skendall1994)
I have looked at sociology league tables because i wanted to do sociology and criminology, however I feel like i cant just base it on sociology league tables
League tables aren't that important really, if you've got an idea of the sort of grades you'll get, narrow down the choices, attend open days etc. It's quite common for sociology lecturers to teach criminology as well, so if a particular uni is strong for sociology I doubt it will be weak in the latter subject.
skendall1994
Rep:
?
Okay, thankyou very much for your help! There is just so many courses and universities to choose from haha!
dg2009
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've heard Portsmouth and Coventry. With Open Uni it's Criminology with Psychology.
rosyposypuddingpie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi
I'm currently studying criminology at lancaster university and absolutely love it there!! plenty of choice of topics/modules particulary in the third year
Would recommend a look around the uni at least (it is campus based out of town which I know some people wouldn't favour)
Any questions don't hesitate to ask
Charlottie93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Northumbria university offer it as does Durham, as a rule the Red Brick unis and Russell group uni's that offer it will normally be considered the best.

What are your predicted grades O.P as this could help us tell you which are the best ones for you?
skendall1994
Rep:
?
Thankyou! i am roughly predicted B's and C's, so roughly BBB - BBC, i would love to get ABB but it just all depends on my as results and my exams i have next summer, however i think i would resit to try and get an A grade
teresajc1962
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've only just seen this thread, so sorry for late reply. I intend to study Criminology next year and so far have looked at these uni's: Westminster, Portsmouth and Leicester. I will look at Brighton in October. Leicester seems to be the leading uni for Criminology and is the only uni that does stand alone Criminology at undergraduate level. It has very impressive stats. We had it on good authority while we were there, that for new uni courses, Portsmouth was a contender. Tbh, Leicester was my last choice before I went (fancied living by the sea and thought Leicester would be boring!!) but when I went, I was really impressed by the social facilities and activities. They have their own O2 academy which was great. To do Criminology there you need ABB. Hope this helps
C_M_1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can anyone current Criminology students tell me where they are studying and what they think of their course, I am finalising my application and so far have:

Surrey and Lancaster as choices.

I have visited Leicester, Portsmouth, Surrey, and York.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%