The Student Room Group

Why are horses used in riots?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Were you watching casualty last night?
It's all to do with intimidation...in order to control riots, police must appear to have superiority and look more intimidating and they can do this by sitting high up on a horse above everyone else. I wouldn't mess with a great big stallion that could easily knock you out with a kick. I guess being on a horse also gives them a better view of what's going on. I don't agree with using horses though, animal rights etc; I don't see why police cars and SWAT vans or whatever wouldn't be as effective.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hahahah a fellow casualty watcher :wink:

Yeah like the others say, horses are used to try and control the crowds. They use them to help push the crowds back so that the police can advance forward. 1 horse= 5 riot police
So they just add more power to the police and as you can see they are equivalent to 5 officers which helps with the small supply of trained public order officers

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Wild@Heart
It's all to do with intimidation...in order to control riots, police must appear to have superiority and look more intimidating and they can do this by sitting high up on a horse above everyone else. I wouldn't mess with a great big stallion that could easily knock you out with a kick. I guess being on a horse also gives them a better view of what's going on. I don't agree with using horses though, animal rights etc; I don't see why police cars and SWAT vans or whatever wouldn't be as effective.

I can tell you now that those horses are treated very very well and undergo extensive training before they are used!

Original post by glelin96
I know that they are very well trained. As a fellow rider, you may understand that when you ride a horse that isn't yours, you don't feel safe, the horse picks up on this and is on edge. Even the best horse in the world is unpredictable in the respect of getting spooked, if the rider is nervous, the horse is nervous, when something then occurs to spook the horse, it bucks.

I can understand that argument, but surely that law should be changed? What is the most likely injury if you get ran over by a van at a low speed, a broken rib, a broken arm? What about being trampled by a horse? Death?

Police horses and their riders are highly trained to not get spooked or panicked or scared by anything. Like police dogs and guide dogs very few who begin the training make the grade as they have very high standards. So they don't spook. Ever. The mounted police are extremely good riders. And so they don't panic riding an unfamiliar horse. Maybe you just need to be a better rider...

Oh, and I've known lots of horses who have spooked. Most don't buck but shy away from the 'danger' which means they don't hurt anyone.
Original post by alexandraa
I can tell you now that those horses are treated very very well and undergo extensive training before they are used!

I know they are treated well and looked after properly by officers, it's just that during riots it can get very chaotic...fire, broken glass, weapons, etc, and things like this could cause unnecessary harm to the horse.
Original post by Wild@Heart
I know they are treated well and looked after properly by officers, it's just that during riots it can get very chaotic...fire, broken glass, weapons, etc, and things like this could cause unnecessary harm to the horse.

they train them for that stuff... but Afaict from watching riots on the telly the cops use the horses for crowd control/ kettling and withdraw them when the rioters have built up a barricade in the road and the petrol bombs start flying at which point the cops are on foot doing their locked shield phalanx thing.
Original post by Hopple
No, a person is a person. The police treat animals like objects, and there is a difference between an object that might fall on someone and hurt them (i.e. anything heavy/hard/sharp) and an object that seeks out people and hurts them.

Have you ever met a police animal handler? Or a forces animal handler for that matter?

Their animal, be it dog or horse, is NEVER just an object. They're a part of their family, of their day to day life and they love those animals just as much as you love any animals that you have in your home.

I know many animal handlers within the police and the forces and they do their damned hardest to make sure their animals don't get hurt.

Yes their job is to go into dangerous situations, but it's the handlers job to keep an eye on that situation and withdraw when necessary to keep their animal safe, and they WILL withdraw their animal rather than watch it get hurt.

The dogs normally stay at home within the handlers family and have a normal doggy life with the family except when they're working. These dogs are some of the most obedient I have ever met, and I trust them explicitly. It doesn't matter what situation they're in 9/10 they will hear and respond to the command. I can't say that for my dog, and I've spent three years of her life working with her every day.

I assume the horses stay at police stables (it's never come up in a conversation) but I know that my friend looks after one horse, works with one horse and only ever rides one horse. Although police property, it's "her" horse. The police aren't idiots, they understand the chemistry between horse and rider and know how important it is.
Reply 128

But what happens if they are hit with a petrol bomb or a brick or something during a riot? They have no protection to that.
Reply 129
Original post by Loucornall
so because i man made piece of machinery which is not a living creature cant defend itself the logic is to use a horse which can die?

remember a police office CHOOSES to become a police officer knowing that they are putting themselves in a dangerous position daily, horses do not have the choice

I didn't say I support the use of horses during riots, I just pointed out the obvious reasons WHY they are used.
Original post by IRSP044
But what happens if they are hit with a petrol bomb or a brick or something during a riot? They have no protection to that.

They do wear body armour you know. And they wouldn't be put under and potential danger by the rider

I get sick of people bashing on riot police

Original post by l.west191
Have you ever met a police animal handler? Or a forces animal handler for that matter?

Their animal, be it dog or horse, is NEVER just an object. They're a part of their family, of their day to day life and they love those animals just as much as you love any animals that you have in your home.

I know many animal handlers within the police and the forces and they do their damned hardest to make sure their animals don't get hurt.

Yes their job is to go into dangerous situations, but it's the handlers job to keep an eye on that situation and withdraw when necessary to keep their animal safe, and they WILL withdraw their animal rather than watch it get hurt.

The dogs normally stay at home within the handlers family and have a normal doggy life with the family except when they're working. These dogs are some of the most obedient I have ever met, and I trust them explicitly. It doesn't matter what situation they're in 9/10 they will hear and respond to the command. I can't say that for my dog, and I've spent three years of her life working with her every day.

I assume the horses stay at police stables (it's never come up in a conversation) but I know that my friend looks after one horse, works with one horse and only ever rides one horse. Although police property, it's "her" horse. The police aren't idiots, they understand the chemistry between horse and rider and know how important it is.

Finally someone who actually knows something about the police! and doesn't rely on the daily mail mickey mouse facts to say how awful the police are

Reply 133
I get sick of people bashing on riot police

Considering the ages of the people on this site, they've probably been bashed by riot police first :tongue:
Reply 134
They do wear body armour you know. And they wouldn't be put under and potential danger by the rider

No they don't,

An they are put in potential danger the second they are brought into the riot!

As for bashing riot police, they bring it on themselves!
In fairness I did say earlier in the thread that the police treat the horses amazingly I just don't agree with what they are used for. And at 27 I can quite honestly say I have never been in a situation where the riot police have been needed lol :smile:

Finally someone who actually knows something about the police! and doesn't rely on the daily mail mickey mouse facts to say how awful the police are

I live in a VERY military area with raf and army bases around me and the local police force are actually very nice guys.

I have lots of friends in all three forces and the police.

Yes, there are the exceptions to the rules in all four areas of work, but the majority of them would do ANYTHING to keep their animal safe.

I know dog-handlers that have refused to send their dogs into situations because they have felt it's too dangerous. They have the right to do that. They are there to work the dog yes, but also to protect and care for it.

A local bomb finding dog (bomb retrieval? not sure of the correct terminology) died recently on his third or fourth tour in the middle east, the poor handler was devastated. So was his family, that dog wasn't just a working dog, he was the best friend of a little 4 year old girl, he'd been there every day he wasn't working, in that families life, just like any other dog.

Animal handlers don't take their job lightly. They're not looking after just an animal, they're looking after a member of their family. In most cases, the bond between animal and handler is even stronger than it is between a non-working animal and owner. The handler and animal depend on each other to keep each other safe and to finish the job, quickly and carefully.

I personally feel that the people who have a problem with the police are the people the police have a problem with. Law abiding citizens should not and do not have anything to worry about with the police. Of course there are always mistakes, but they are only human. They deserve respect for the job they do, day in, day out and because they ARE human. If you want them to treat you with respect, have the common decency to treat them with respect too. Simple.
Original post by IRSP044
No they don't,

An they are put in potential danger the second they are brought into the riot!

As for bashing riot police, they bring it on themselves!

That horse is wearing a reflective fly sheet NOT any sort of armour

Original post by l.west191
I live in a VERY military area with raf and army bases around me and the local police force are actually very nice guys.

I have lots of friends in all three forces and the police.

Yes, there are the exceptions to the rules in all four areas of work, but the majority of them would do ANYTHING to keep their animal safe.

I know dog-handlers that have refused to send their dogs into situations because they have felt it's too dangerous. They have the right to do that. They are there to work the dog yes, but also to protect and care for it.

A local bomb finding dog (bomb retrieval? not sure of the correct terminology) died recently on his third or fourth tour in the middle east, the poor handler was devastated. So was his family, that dog wasn't just a working dog, he was the best friend of a little 4 year old girl, he'd been there every day he wasn't working, in that families life, just like any other dog.

Animal handlers don't take their job lightly. They're not looking after just an animal, they're looking after a member of their family. In most cases, the bond between animal and handler is even stronger than it is between a non-working animal and owner. The handler and animal depend on each other to keep each other safe and to finish the job, quickly and carefully.

I personally feel that the people who have a problem with the police are the people the police have a problem with. Law abiding citizens should not and do not have anything to worry about with the police. Of course there are always mistakes, but they are only human. They deserve respect for the job they do, day in, day out and because they ARE human. If you want them to treat you with respect, have the common decency to treat them with respect too. Simple.

Exactly it seems like you have actually seen the truth :smile:
Both my parents are riot officers and I know they take their jobs very seriously and would not put any of their colleagues (2 legged or not) in any kind of danger

Reply 139
Original post by Loucornall
That horse is wearing a reflective fly sheet NOT any sort of armour

Exactly.

Quick Reply

Latest