Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently using a Belkin wireless USB network adapter for my PC, but it's terrible. It doesn't work half the time, and the other half the signal is so weak it takes 30 seconds to load Google. I'm wondering if I could take a PCI-E network which I have lying around (it's pretty quite old now, and is 802.11g) and whack it in my new PC. Would it work with a fairly new 802.11n router?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil2008)
    I'm currently using a Belkin wireless USB network adapter for my PC, but it's terrible. It doesn't work half the time, and the other half the signal is so weak it takes 30 seconds to load Google. I'm wondering if I could take a PCI-E network which I have lying around (it's pretty quite old now, and is 802.11g) and whack it in my new PC. Would it work with a fairly new 802.11n router?
    Whats the router called? Just need to make sure it is compatible cos I have feeling it should definitely be.
    Plus I can find you some tips for making your signal much better, there are always ways by going into the router settings.

ReputationRep:
    It should work but you might not see much improvement.

My preference would tend to be for a USB wireless dongle on a USB lead as you can then move it around to get the best signal. If you use a PCI-E card the location of the antenna is limited in location to where the PC sits and it's next to a large lump of metal which generally isn't good for antennas. Whilst you can get cables to move the antenna from the PC these are going to cost a fair bit and will impact the performance of the antenna - Lower loss and flexible cables are going to cost a lot. Cheap cables are lilely to do more harm than good.

ReputationRep:
    PCI/PCI-E card antennas are loads better than USB ones though. Even if it is behind a computer or under a desk I would bet that the PCI/PCI-E one would have better reception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    PCI/PCI-E card antennas are loads better than USB ones though. Even if it is behind a computer or under a desk I would bet that the PCI/PCI-E one would have better reception.
    The ~4km connection I managed once begs to differ. It wasn't good enough to be useful but it did connect (which I didn't expect). This was with an AP mounted on top of the Uni Building and a Laptop, long USB lead, USB dongle, short antenna lead and a decent wifi antenna (better than what you're likely to be using).

Had I used a PCI card in a PC the length of antenna cable required would have negated any potential advantage the card might have given. The chips on the wifi card and in a USB dongle are likely to be the same for a given set of models so the only differences are the antenna and the cable.

Although that was a very specific case there are some general tips that apply in all cases.
    Bad - Anything that creates loss (antenna cables, metal near the antenna)
    Good - Being able to position the antenna in a good location.

There's a whole load of antenna theory I can quote about polarisation, directionality, antenna tuning and matching etc. but it get's long and technical.

ReputationRep:
    How far is the router from the PC and how many walls are there in the way? It may simply be the case that the signal isn't strong enough.

A G card will work fine with an N router. Any unless you have a very fast internet connection the speed probably won't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    should work fine as routers are backwards compatible usually. Check the router manual to be sure.

P.S. u can pick up pci-e network cards pretty cheap these days. try ebuyer.com

ReputationRep:
    I tried it today, but it doesn't seem to be working. It's showing up on the Device Manager and the Windows installed the driver, but no networks are being picked up. I think it might just be broken. Guess I'll just have to buy a new one.

ReputationRep:
    I tried it today, but it doesn't seem to be working. It's showing up on the Device Manager and the Windows installed the driver, but no networks are being picked up. I think it might just be broken. Guess I'll just have to buy a new one.
    Hi its been 3 days and no one replied. Do you want me to help you via teamviewer now?

If so use the adapter method and try to get it connected to the internet even if slow and PM me if you want the help still

Cheers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 27, 2012
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.