Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In my physics class there is 10 people and they are all boys. We have 2 physics teachers both of whom are men and I don't know any girls who even would think about doing Physics.

I just get the feeling that because physics is perceived of as a "blokes" subject, only "blokes" take it for A level. There is nothing in it that is particularly manly, nothing moreso than chemistry or biology A-levels, and my school has tons of girls doing those subjects. It's strange, very strange.

ReputationRep:
    no! I go to a girls school and there are 10 in our A2 physics class!

ReputationRep:
    i think that physics is a boy thing cause it does require logic and us girls dont always use logic. physics is def a boy thing so fire away and do it all.maybe it will keep yal quiet 4 a while

ReputationRep:
    i heard the reason men are interested in cars, physics, engineering etc. more than girls is that a certain part of the brain which deals with these kind of things is usually larger in males than in females.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usuallystressed)
    I had never realised before but my teacher says that apparently boys are more likely to enjoy and take ohysics at a-level. D'ya think that's true? I go to an all girls school so dont know really...
    Also, if it is about right, why do you think girls like it less than guys?
    Physics is seen as a man's subject. All of the physics groups in my school are male-only. I go to an all-boys school, so this shouldn't be surprising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usuallystressed)
    I had never realised before but my teacher says that apparently boys are more likely to enjoy and take ohysics at a-level. D'ya think that's true? I go to an all girls school so dont know really...
    Also, if it is about right, why do you think girls like it less than guys?
    I hate physics, and I'm a girl. I also find that boys find physics easier than girls. I think it's because boys actually find it interesting as it's technical and like to know how things work, where as girls don't really care about that.

ReputationRep:
    As an A2 physics student in an only girls school there are only two of us in the group.Everyone appears to find it quite frightening and hard, but it isn't at all. Any opendays that i have attended for physics and engineering there were no more than three girls present, where there were 60-70 guys....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemgems89)
    where as girls don't really care about that.
    We dont?

I don't really think it's a boy/girl divide. I think steriotyping has a big role - I use to think that girls should be bad at maths/physics... until I ended up doing it for an A-level and getting higher marks than the lads.

Now what really is a lads subject is electronics :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LS.)
    We dont?

I don't really think it's a boy/girl divide. I think steriotyping has a big role - I use to think that girls should be bad at maths/physics... until I ended up doing it for an A-level and getting higher marks than the lads.

Now what really is a lads subject is electronics :rolleyes:
    Yeah, well most girls don't really care about how things work. Well the ones I know anyway. I find most of physics boring, although some of it is interesting.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.